Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bea

KDawg

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Absolutely.  But… I still think it’s interesting.  We always hear about drafts getting judged by the number of starters from the class.  And of course, Philly is seen as having a special FO.  I also think a lot of us thought we had a pretty strong roster, even if we had serious questions about the OL and LBs (and Howell, at the time).

On the other hand, there’s the idea of the draft serving more so as a pipeline of talent.  So adding to deeper units for example, while it might be disappointing in the short term, can bear fruit long term, not to mention ST.  This would obviously include drafting guys in preparation of losing players, as well as improving competition/depth (and ST). 

Not that it’s inherently an either/or proposition.  And to be clear, the following is not to defend this past draft or anything - I’m pretty disappointed in how it played out.  Its possible the draft class looks a lot better in the long run… not that I’m holding my breath on that front.

Specific to this team, we (the fans at least) have placed a lot of emphasis on immediate starters and needs.  And to this point, before Stromberg starting playing guard in the preseason games (and holding his own), there was a lot of negativity about drafting OL guys that the staff didn’t “plan” to play this year.  And of course, you have situations like we have with Martin - he hasn’t earned a starting spot, but it’s looking like he might indeed be getting starting reps.  Not exactly what we mean by landing a starter in the draft (unless he shocks us all and plays well of course).  

Again, specific to this team, we’re apparently also running into coaching/scheme issues in relation to our draft.  Broadly speaking - we’re not running the ball much so Rodriguez hasn’t factored in, we’re playing man so Forbes has looked poor (though that might be the only reason), we moved Quan all over so he didn’t settle in a role, we cross-trained Stromberg at C/RG so we can’t really try him out at LG.  And then of course we drafted 2 DEs to a pretty deep unit.

Bottom line, its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.  I can’t say I’d be too surprised if long term we wind up with 2 starters - Forbes and Stromberg, 3 heavy contributors - Martin, Rodriguez and one of our DEs, and 2 depth guys in Daniels and our other DE.  It’s possible we get even more out of the group of course, and maybe more likely we get less out of them.  On the whole though, not shoring up the OL this year, not taking advantage of a deep TE class, trading up for Henry (unless he shows a great deal of growth), and seemingly not utilizing these guys properly… questionable decision-making at minimum.

Some are saying Jalen Carter is the next Aaron Donald.  If we thought we might have an elite player from this draft the way the Eagles seem to feel about Carter, I think many of us would feel giddy considering how rare its for this team to find elite players.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

QB: Howell continues to show good signs. He is still trending upward in his decisiveness, pocket movement, and decision making. His development should continue to be a top priority.

OL: This group failed us early and often. Hopefully Stromberg is learning what NOT to do from Gates. We have our weakest Center play in the last decade. I knew the theme of this season would be games our DL wins Vs games our OL loses. The OL let us down early and often killed drives. 

RB and WR: Limited by OL play

DL: Still dominant. Bears used double tight-end sets to slow our 4 man rush. Our back 7 has to cover 2 and 3 man routes. Payne forces a fumble in the red zone. The DEs both got pressure and sacks. Allen makes one or two splash plays every week. The DL is still dominant. We were #2 in sacks league wide coming into last week and added more. Our LBs and DL have zero synergy in run fits. They need more cohesiveness because there are way too many open rush lanes. Granted our DL is mostly facing doubleteams. 

LB: Barton is a softer Cole Holcomb. Still slow to react. Still slow to get downhill.  But Holcomb, once he finally reacted to the play, would at least get downhill and try to hit somebody. Barton takes all that time and then plays pattycake with OL while losing ground. If nothing else, Barton serves as a reminder to appreciate our DL, because there are players out there who can make you miss Cole Holcomb. We will miss the DL being a pillar of our team like we miss the  LT spot being a pillar. Jamin is a starting LB but he needs a lead dog to push him. Quite a few of the rookie LBs I've mentioned over the past few years are high quality LBs now- like Barnes in Detroit. As it stands Jamin is our best LB but he's never had a dog beside him to push his development. 

DB: These guys look lost. Bad communication. Bad technique. Bad everything and it looks like they aren't being coached. Who is developing our DBs? After OL these guys were the biggest letdown last week. They have way too much talent to all be playing so poorly. Forbes and every other corner got beat deep. Curl played well mostly but also got beat by better plays a few times. Percy Butler is an athlete but he hasn't been coached up. Where is Martin? Why is our technique and communication so terrible? We still have to do tackling drills as DBs by the way.

Coaches: EB is our shining star. We were down a touchdown the first time we touched the ball. Down two scores the second time our offense touched the ball. It's hard to stay balanced when you're down that much immediately out the gate. Our OL is also hilariously unreliable. JDR should have been dismissed a year ago. Coach Rivera should make some tough decisions about his staff soon i.e. who can takeover coaching this defense. The defensive coaching is hurting the defense right now, but we should've already replaced JDR last season with Turner. We are seeing how much Turner held us back now that EB has us putting up numbers, imagine what innovative coaching would do with this defense. Right now our scheme is "DL go win the game" and even with our DL talent, you still need to play chess with your chess pieces. 

• Thumb up 1

Do your job says the coach who hasn’t done his. 4 years and the roster has not improved one bit. It seems to be the same or potentially worse than the one he took over. 

It takes more effort to tread water than it does to simply swim to the other side of the pool. The results are vastly different. 

• Thumb up 2

Our best players are Gruden players but Rivera wants to act like it’s just an execution problem on the field. If another player were to emerge as one of our best this season, it would be Chase Young—and he is a guy literally any regime would have taken (because Snyder wasn’t hiring anyone who would ditch Haskins right away). So Rivera gets zero points for any of our top talented guys. How is that a sustainable way to build? 4 years, no building blocks that anyone else would covet. Team-building disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It might be a game changer in your coaching career.  Just say do your job, step back and watch the magic happen.

giphy.gif

One of my favorite things is when a player drops a pass and someone yells, “you have to catch the ball!”

Well… holy ****. That changes everything!

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 2

Commanders’ newest locker room sign? ‘DO YOUR JOB’

ASHBURN — The doors into the Washington Commanders’ locker room now look slightly different after another sluggish start to the season.

There’s a new sign on the right door with a simple reminder, in all caps for emphasis: “DO YOUR JOB” 

Hey, if it worked for Bill Belichick, right? 

“There’s obviously, to me, a sense and a feel that we’re doing the things we need to do,” coach Ron Rivera said. “We’re not doing enough of them. We’ve got to do everything that’s involved with your job.

“That’s kind of the emphasis.” 

Yes, after Thursday’s 40-20 loss to the lowly Chicago Bears, the Commanders have reached the point of the season in which they’re searching for every bit of motivation to spur a turnaround. Following the defeat, Rivera said he’d review the team’s first five games and make changes as needed. Those changes, it seems, include a new in-your-face poster that isn’t particularly subtle. 

In adopting the “DO YOUR JOB” mantra, Rivera is borrowing a page from Belichick and the New England Patriots. “Do your job” during the Belichick-Tom Brady era became synonymous with New England’s dynasty, a catchphrase that summed up the reason for the Patriots’ success. 

Never mind the fact that saying hasn’t done any favors for the Patriots lately: New England (1-4) is off to an even worse than Washington (2-3). 

“Coach Rivera has always been someone who tries to give buzzwords to kind of help you focus on the importance of what our next task is,” Commanders wide receiver Terry McLaurin said. “For myself, that’s always in my mind of how can I do my job to my best ability, but when you emphasize that a little bit more, it allows guys to take a step back and be like, ‘OK, how do I do execute my job?’” 

Rivera understands that a “certain type of person” will have a cynical reaction to Washington’s new sign. And naturally, social media users on X had a field day in mocking the effort. “They should put one in Ron’s office,” one user wrote. Added another: “Does Jack Del Rio know how to read?” One person replied with a gif from the fictional soccer television show “Ted Lasso,” with Jason Sudeikis’ character pointing to the “BELIEVE” sign hung up in AFC Richmond’s locker room. The sarcastic comments reflected just how frustrated Commanders fans are four years into Rivera’s tenure. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/oct/11/commanders-newest-locker-room-sign-do-your-job/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

• Haha 2