Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I'm not going to another game until Snyder sells the team!"

Skinsfan1311

I was never righteous about not going to the stadium to see games any longer.  I’d just left there so many times dejected, with a lot less $, and a long traffic driven ride home.  That along with my disdain for everything that Dan’s ownership had become just made the thought of going to games really unappealing.

I never really held it against anyone else that continued to go.  To each his own and all that.

This still doesn’t feel real to me, so I can’t really say what it will do for me to attend games in the future.  I’ll be curious to see if the new group continues to try and band aid Fed Ex or just embraces the suck and puts all their energy into a new place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah ultimately the product has to be good to justify paying that kind of price, but the D.C. area is very affluent. They'll spend if the team is fun to watch.

I know the area is affluent but prices have been going down since 2012 while they have skyrocketed elsewhere so it will be a shock for a while before they seem normal. 

• Like 1

If my kids want to go I’ll drive down. If they don’t, I won’t.

Buffalo is my son’s team, so maybe that weekend. But I have a game, too, and gameplan meeting on the same day as the game.

Id be more inclined to carve time out of my schedule when the stadium is ironed out. But Snyder being gone opens the door.

• Like 3

Much as I hate Snyder, he's not the direct reason I don't go to games.

• Worst stadium experience in the NFL.
  • 2+ hour drive each way, much of it through miserable driving conditions (66, beltway)
    • Parking at Vienna and taking the Metro would be an alternative, except the DC Metro is ****ty and unsafe.
  • The location is bad too (not as bad as the Nats and Caps, to be fair).
  • The offense on the field has been bad for five years straight.  Maybe defense wins championships, but offense sells tickets.

The new ownership will have to fix these issues to get me off my couch.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Still not gonna see the fans come back in droves until they fix the name....just sayin'.  "Commanders" will always be Danny's legacy, and it's now a dead man walking thankfully. 

Nope, wrong. They’ll come back regardless of the name and stadium. It’s football, not a beauty pageant.

Damn Snyler is gone is enough.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Unknown if the new owner decides to change the name, but it will take 2-3 years to do it at a minimum.  A lot of obstacles and what name do you pick, besides "Redskins" that will be acceptable to most of the fans.  I just don't see them changing the name.  You can't just change the name every couple of years.  Be nice to go back to skins, but I don't see that happening.

-  Stadium needs to be in a convenient location.  Keim has some good talking points about winning back the fans and a new stadium - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36179498/top-priorities-new-owners-dan-snyder-sells-washington-commanders

As many have said winning will solve many problems, but the new owner has to put trust back in the organization.  Hearing from the owner every once in a while will be pleasant again.  I think Harris will be out front, but I also see Magic Johnson talking as well.  Hopefully, they have a single message.

To add, I stopped buying merchandise and going to games in protest of the owner.  I hope to once again post positive comments about the owner again.  Dan was so bad.

Edited by Fred Jones
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Much as I hate Snyder, he's not the direct reason I don't go to games.

• Worst stadium experience in the NFL.
  • 2+ hour drive each way, much of it through miserable driving conditions (66, beltway)
    • Parking at Vienna and taking the Metro would be an alternative, except the DC Metro is ****ty and unsafe.
  • The location is bad too (not as bad as the Nats and Caps, to be fair).
  • The offense on the field has been bad for five years straight.  Maybe defense wins championships, but offense sells tickets.

The new ownership will have to fix these issues to get me off my couch.

The Fedex location is not as bad as Nats or Caps? You're afraid of cities, aren't you? 

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 3

Harris et al are very aware how badly this fan base has been treated over the years. One of their priorities will be to bring the fans back into the fold. I would not be surprised to see a lot of discounted tickets, concessions and other fan friendly gestures beginning at training camp. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Still not gonna see the fans come back in droves until they fix the name....just sayin'.  "Commanders" will always be Danny's legacy, and it's now a dead man walking thankfully. 

If they decide to rebrand, that’s way down  the list of things to do.  I think if that issue was number one for them leaving; they aren’t coming back.

16 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Harris et al are very aware how badly this fan base has been treated over the years. One of their priorities will be to bring the fans back into the fold. I would not be surprised to see a lot of discounted tickets, concessions and other fan friendly gestures beginning at training camp. 

It’s getting the young fans to root for this team.  So whatever they can do short term and then design into the stadium long term. Without getting new younger fans, they don’t get that return long term.

Snyder leaving will make a big difference in fans coming back to watch this team, but it’s not the end all.  The home opener for the Cardinals will be a sellout, and I think the Bills game Week 3 will also be a sellout.  The problem with that though, is that fans want to see a winning product at the end of the day.  It’s not just enough to have Snyder exit, and fans coming back in droves.  You actually have to win, and/or be competitive.  If this team gets off to its usual 1-4 or 2-5 slow start, the fans will stop coming by Halloween, and the rest of the home games against the division or other teams like the 49ers and Dolphins will look like it’s always looks towards the end of the season, overrun with opposing fans.  They have to win, and keep winning to get fans all the way back and excited.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

I think Dan leaving is a big part of it.

I stop everything Washington for a bit. Because literally nothing was going to get better while he was the owner.

Now, he's not. There is still a lot of work to do to clear everything out that was "Dan". Let's face, it's going to be a complete FO change, coaching staff, new stadium and likely another rebrand, for the new Ownership team to have their fingerprints everywhere.

But, a lot of people will come back, because now there is hope. And I think there will be a honeymoon period, but one that might be longer than you might think. And it won't be just games either. Merch will blow up. People will start buying it again.

The cloud that Snyder had over the franchise was so big and dark, that anything is going to be a big improvement.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:10 AM, Warhead36 said:

There will be an initial surge the first few games, but if we start like 2-5 again then it'll be back to what it has been...

I semi-agree with this...

There will still be this lingering hope that the games will either be competitive or the new owner will make moves this offseason that a complete and total "here we go again" won't fall on us in October.

Same time, the franchise has hemerraged not one, but TWO generations worth of fans now since the last time it was relevant, so we have to be fair on "who's left to show up" as well.

Another thing that is completely within the control of new ownership is gameday experience...even if we start off bad, with all the factors above and a possible improved overall gameday experience, I don't see us staying at last in the league in attendence just because of another slow start.

I want to believe we can just click back on like we did in 2012, but that was 10 years go, so much damage has been done since then...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fred Jones said:

Unknown if the new owner decides to change the name, but it will take 2-3 years to do it at a minimum.  A lot of obstacles and what name do you pick, besides "Redskins" that will be acceptable to most of the fans.  I just don't see them changing the name.  You can't just change the name every couple of years.  Be nice to go back to skins, but I don't see that happening.

In cases of ownership change, the league waives the "no renaming the team" rules. Like most of the NFL's "rules" there are exceptions. If Harris wants to do it right, then yes it may take 2-3 years, which is fine if the end result is something the fanbase is actually a part of and likes whatever the new name is. The Commanders name hasn't gone over well and merchandise sales are near the bottom of the league, which isn't usually what happens with a rebrand...but it happened here because of The Stink Of Snyder.

Snyder thought of the team name himself, almost two years before they announced it last year. He created a sham 'contest' for the fans to vote on the new name, when all along it was going to be Commanders...which in my view is fraud. On top of that he let his wife design the uniforms, which are some of the blandest in the league and the all-black uniform is a travesty with nothing to tie it to Washington. And then he let Jason Wright, who has ZERO experience with creating logos, basically just pick the 23rd letter of the alphabet as our new logo, and also allowed Wright to create Major Tuddy...incompetence at every step of the process.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Of course, winning is the most important thing for all fans, but as long as the new owner is doing the right things, and not embarrassing us, it won’t bother me not to win right away. If those things are happening, I know we will win in time. Meanwhile losing, but with dignity, will be a major step up from the embarrassing **** show we have experienced. The one thing that maybe could push me away would be if they decide to keep Snyder‘s ****ty name—it would make me question the ownership groups decision making, while making it a lot harder to love the team. That’s just me though, I’m not sure how many other fans are as repulsed by Snyders branding as I am. I suppose most would live with it just fine if the team is consistently winning. Who knows, maybe I would too, I’d love to find out!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:21 AM, ClaytoAli said:

Nope, wrong. They’ll come back regardless of the name and stadium. It’s football, not a beauty pageant.

Damn Snyler is gone is enough.

I guess we will see but I think it will take more than Danny being gone to bring back the fan base in droves.  A decade ago perhaps but now the fane base is so decimated that it will take time and likely greatly elevated excitement only a new stadium and a better on the field product can create.  The name is secondary.. while I think it has to be changed it is a distant 3rd after wins/losses and game day experience.  

• Thumb down 1

I can speak for myself...

I wasn't just never going to attend a game, I was actively rooting against his team after some of the latest allegations had come to light. His actions hit my family pretty closely, so I understand not everyone felt the need to draw such a tough line.

With Snyder selling, the idea of watching a game or just simply not hoping the local team lost is back on the table. But here's the catch...you can't make yourself care. I don't know the full impact he's had on my passion for the team, so I'll have to wait and see if I wake up on Sundays with butterflies or if I find myself just watching RedZone as we have done since 2020...

I expect I'm not the only fan in that boat. 

• Like 5

The thing is apathy is different than a moral stance. I haven't spent a dime on this team for several years, mainly since the first major scandal. I'm not apathetic. With him gone, I'll be back on board. I was always a fan, not just of Dan. I, along with many on this board, could compartmentalize those feelings. Those who just don't care anymore or are apathetic, there's the very real likelihood they'll never come back. There's an element of this that is like this analogy: it's like high school sweethearts seeing each other for the first time in over 20 years. Some get back together and find their love again, most do not. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

The thing is apathy is different than a moral stance. I haven't spent a dime on this team for several years, mainly since the first major scandal. I'm not apathetic. With him gone, I'll be back on board. I was always a fan, not just of Dan. I, along with many on this board, could compartmentalize those feelings. Those who just don't care anymore or are apathetic, there's the very real likelihood they'll never come back. There's an element of this that is like this analogy: it's like high school sweethearts seeing each other for the first time in over 20 years. Some get back together and find their love again, most do not. 

Right. I was very passionate about the team until I stepped away for moral reasons in 2020 when the cheerleader video came to light. With him gone, the conflicted feelings can be lifted. But what I'm finding is that those old passionate feelings that I felt from 1982 through 2019 just aren't there anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Of course, winning is the most important thing for all fans, but as long as the new owner is doing the right things, and not embarrassing us, it won’t bother me not to win right away. If those things are happening, I know we will win in time. Meanwhile losing, but with dignity, will be a major step up from the embarrassing **** show we have experienced. The one thing that maybe could push me away would be if they decide to keep Snyder‘s ****ty name—it would make me question the ownership groups decision making, while making it a lot harder to love the team. That’s just me though, I’m not sure how many other fans are as repulsed by Snyders branding as I am. I suppose most would live with it just fine if the team is consistently winning. Who knows, maybe I would too, I’d love to find out!

A rebrand is the most important thing in my opinion. Winning will come and go. The name will last past most of our lifetimes. There is a short window of time to correct it and wipe Dan’s influence completely. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

A rebrand is the most important thing in my opinion. Winning will come and go. The name will last past most of our lifetimes. There is a short window of time to correct it and wipe Dan’s influence completely. 

That's a pretty good way of looking at things. For decades (nearly a century) generations of fans identified with the Redskins through long stretches of success and failure.

• Like 3

B-Mitch was talking about this on his show earlier, and he thinks that Snyder was never that much of a fan...but his father was. Buying the team was like an 'eff you' to his dad to prove what he could do. I didn't hear the rest of it, but it sounds like B-Mitch had some examples proving he was never a big fan of the team, that it was just a big ego thing.

I just thank Gawd that this guy isn't going to be the next owner:

ebcjaOLv_400x400.jpg

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 4:57 PM, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

B-Mitch was talking about this on his show earlier, and he thinks that Snyder was never that much of a fan...but his father was. Buying the team was like an 'eff you' to his dad to prove what he could do. I didn't hear the rest of it, but it sounds like B-Mitch had some examples proving he was never a big fan of the team, that it was just a big ego thing.

I just thank Gawd that this guy isn't going to be the next owner:

ebcjaOLv_400x400.jpg

Looks like a guy you'd find at the Jersey Shore over the summer