Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Jumbo, you are absolutely in rare form today.

I regularly shield my blinding light, lest it overwhelm ordinary people.

Hang on. I just farted, but now I'm worried it was more than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

of course

As i said a sneaky reason among a million why life will be better when Dan is gone is UDFA for reasons i stated earlier.

Why...why go to those twits. Should have come sign in Washington, Dang it

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched 4 games of Rodriguez.  And watched an interview.

I'll post tomorrow on the Chris Rodriguez thread.  Shame on me for watching in depth almost every talked about RB in this draft and then some, but not him.  I didn't dive in on him because he was billed as a power rusher -- and i got the impression, apparently false impression that they didn't want to double up on having another power back in the mode of Brian Robinson.

I thought he would come out last year, I am on record for wanting him in 22 draft… love this pick

5 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I didn't post all draft either and didn't actually "grade" any of these guys. I have no clue just like you. Just said a lot less. 

Arrogance can be thinking you know more than other people, overestimating your own knowledge. 

But arrogance can also be thinking everyone else knows as little as you do, underestimating your own ignorance. 

These are all general “you’s”, not directed at you specifically. But your post was a good jumping off point for my post. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Is that, what, three UDFA WRs?  

Good, we have a strong top 3 when they’re all healthy but everything after Samuel is pretty horrid. All JAG’s and Samuel likely isn’t here after this year so bring in some bodies to compete and see if you find a diamond in the rough. We have literally nothing after Dyami, and Dyami isn’t very good either. If anyone of the top 3 gets hurt or needs an extended breather we likely have a total scrub on the field at WR since we also struggle to field two NFL TE’s at the same time. So it’s a big depth need. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

That's plagiarism.  But don't worry, I looked, and that's the only thing that we don't have a rule against. Jeebus, you ever read all that stuff? You so much as fart the wrong odor around here and you'll be ground under the iron heel of oppression. 

Hell, the head guy here uses a pic of an irritated  Darth Vader (a picture of Vader doesn't need to be oversold, it's ****ing Vader, man) because a regular pic of Vader isn't emphatic enough for him.

Then it just gets worse by age of mod as you go down the mod staff list. And I do mean "down", social status-wise, for these stiflers of brilliant and witty pontificating, the jealous louts. Fortunately, I have a duplicate account if this one gets banned.

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

🤔

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

This is the first of any "film" ive watched on him, but just from this quick watch, his run style and form reminds me of Guice. Not sure of the comparison in measurables for height/weight/speed, but that was the player that jumped in my mind after watching this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I regularly shield my blinding light, lest it overwhelm ordinary people.

I believe some people are pulling your finger. Skid marks in the pants, Hail to the Redbeans !

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1

Well it sounds like EB heavily influenced the offensive picks, Stromberg and C-Rod especially so. Apparently we had the RB ranked even higher than where we got him. 

Rivera thinks KJ Henry is dynamic..........

Mayhew was frustrated with himself for missing out on a couple of specific trade opportunities day 3. Regretted not being more aggressive. 

I’d say the draft was solid. Heavily focused on need. Too much so I would suggest in the end. But not a disaster either. Just solid.

Sleeping on it, I’ve come back with the same conclusion as yesterday:

We drafted good football players. 

Forbes: Athletic. But what isn’t getting a ton of talk is his anticipatory reads. He sees something and knows what’s happening. They aren’t guesses, either, because he doesn’t get beat on double moves all that much. He just diagnoses and reacts. That’s why he’s such a ballhawk. He’s going to eat a few chicken thousand nuggies with Sam Howell and be good to go. He will be a starting corner.

Martin: Aggressive, fairly sticky, good tackler. He’s another guy that finds the ball and makes plays on it. Seems to have a good football IQ with his decision making and plays “smooth”. He will start at slot corner.

Stromberg: Things were quiet around him but I think he was the best center in the draft. Good anchor, good athleticism and good background. He will need to get up to NFL speed but ultimately I think he’s the starting center at some point this year.

Daniels: I liked him on film. He moves really well in pass pro. I think he’s a pretty decent run blocker, too. He needs to work on his foot positioning when he gets into blocks sometimes. Gets his feet a little close and loses leg drive. Needs to add some weight. But he could wind up starting at RT.

Henry: Not very good on the edge on film. Lets himself get blocked, seems to use one move and then doesn’t have another. Sometimes abandons his rush to stand there and jump. Gets moved and swallowed by OTs. Very hesitant. But some of that could be scheme related. It looks like he is a hybrid DE/LB in Clemson’s scheme. He looks like he is peel coverage responsible for the back at times and that slows him down and makes him flat footed, which lets him get blocked. They played him at 3-tech some and on those reps he looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Great movement and explosive, using counter moves and got to the QB. So we’ll see on him. If he plays like he did at 3-tech we have ourselves a steal. If he plays like he did in Clemson’s scheme at Edge we have ourselves a cut casualty.

Rodriguez: our version of Pacheco. He doesn’t do anything to really wow you on tape, but that’s not the kind of back he is. He has a strong lower body and plays with a low center of gravity. He’s not afraid to lower his shoulder and get downhill. He’s a good pass protector. He isn’t going to burn anyone in a foot race, but he’s not a bad athlete, either. I think they intend to use BRob plenty this year and they needed a power back to get some carries and step in if he gets hurt. Rodriguez is exactly that.

Jones: Long and athletic. Can make some plays by setting the edge. Uses his athleticism to put him in good positions. Can get to the QB but his best asset is setting the edge.

We got a bunch of players that are good players that fill roles that we needed. So, I’m good with the players taken. I’m least high on Henry at the moment but if they use him as a pure edge and he plays like he did at 3-tech at Clemson he will be better than I originally thought. I don’t like trading up for him, but, I’ll forget about it if he plays like he did inside for Clemson. 

Best Player: Emmanuel Forbes

Highest Upside: KJ Henry/Forbes

Lowest Floor: KJ Henry

Biggest Improvement Over Current Starter: Quan Martin

Most Developmental: Braeden Daniels

Most Steady: Ricky Stromberg

My Grades: Players: B. I like most of them in one way or another. Lots of steady players that are high floor guys. Henry/Forbes have the most potential to boom, but Henry’s floor is lower than the basement, too. Hope we get boom version 

Draft Strategy: D+. I like their thought behind the picks. Ballhawks, improvements, complementary. I dislike drafting for need (we did, Galdi, we did). I think we passed on better players at a few picks when we took some of these players. I didn’t like trading up for Henry. By going corner in the first we didn’t maximize draft value. And there are other examples, too. Can’t give a F, though. Our roster improved. So there is something to be said for that. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 18
  • Thumb up 1

I said this yesterday about us potentially missing out on a couple of players before we took Henry and Mayhew’s comment about missing out and not being aggressive enough via trade has me thinking that is the case.

First four picks were all but scripted IMO. I’m now thinking we liked Herbig or Abdullah too. Henry was maybe the last guy we had in that ‘group’. Perhaps Mayhew regrets not moving back up further. Who knows. I don’t mind the Henry pick at all.

And I’m not saying this just because he was one of my favourites, but Tyler Scott would have been a great get for EB at the end of the 4th. Day 2 grade. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Draft Strategy: D+. I like their thought behind the picks. Ballhawks, improvements, complementary. I dislike drafting for need (we did, Galdi, we did). I think we passed on better players at a few picks when we took some of these players. I didn’t like trading up for Henry. By going corner in the first we didn’t maximize draft value. And there are other examples, too. Can’t give a F, though. Our roster improved. So there is something to be said for that. 

I'm not sure what I think of the strategy, it was unorthodox for sure but if it works it could end up being genius.

If this staff really is good at identifying specific guys who will create great chemistry and blend in perfectly with the team what's the only way of guaranteeing you get those guys?

Draft them a round early.

I'm trying to look at it this way, we wasted our first round pick but in the process guaranteed ourselves huge steals in every round after at positions of need with targeted high character guys who fit well here.

It could be worse, we could have ended up with Josh doctson in the first and then missed out on half the guys we wanted later because we waited too long.

In the end getting good football players who fit well is all that matters not how or where we got them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm not sure what I think of the strategy, it was unorthodox for sure but if it works it could end up being genius.

If this staff really is good at identifying specific guys who will create great chemistry and blend in perfectly with the team what's the only way of guaranteeing you get those guys?

Draft them a round early.

I'm trying to look at it this way, we wasted our first round pick but in the process guaranteed ourselves huge steals in every round after at positions of need with targeted high character guys who fit well here.

It could be worse, we could have ended up with Josh doctson in the first and then missed out on half the guys we wanted later because we waited too long.

In the end getting good football players who fit well is all that matters not how or where we got them.

I disagree.

Getting good football players matters. Yes.

Maximizing value and getting the MOST out of the class matters more. I think we got good players. That much I agree on. But I think we could have gotten good players and maximized the value of the draft by focusing more on best player available versus going into each round with a shopping list with a few names on it. We missed out on some guys who could have really helped us in similar ways and had higher upside than the guys we drafted.

But, like I said, getting good players matters.

We did that.

But no one can accuse Rivera of going all in for himself in a make or break year, I'll say that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Rodriguez: our version of Pacheco. He doesn’t do anything to really wow you on tape, but that’s not the kind of back he is. He has a strong lower body and plays with a low center of gravity. He’s not afraid to lower his shoulder and get downhill. He’s a good pass protector. He isn’t going to burn anyone in a foot race, but he’s not a bad athlete, either. I think they intend to use BRob plenty this year and they needed a power back to get some carries and step in if he gets hurt. Rodriguez is exactly that.

Good post.

In terms of the players they picked.  In the days leading to the draft, I watched a lot of Quan and Forbes.  I watched in the past plenty of Daniels, I'd comment about him every now and then on the thread, but its been some time so I need to refresh. I've watched Stromberg a lot.  I'd probavly go JMS over Stromberg but they aren't far apart IMO

I agree with the overall point about Rodriguez, good hands, good vision, decent speed -- but in general now a wow RB in that he's not an explosive runner.  He's more in that Brian Robinson mode on that count.

I didn't really hit Rodriguez until yesterday and I hit the player hard.  I do think he has one wow trait.  That is, his violence in his running stye.  There are plenty of players who are physical but he has one trait that reminds me of D. Pierce who I loved the draft before -- the violence, he drags defenders on plays -- he sinks his hips and just keeps pushing forward and often you need multiple defenders to stop his momentum.  The idea that he's not going to be denied -- and its not just a sometime thing but he brings it run after run reminds me of Pierce.    Not saying he's as good.  But his flavor reminds me of him.

Roschon Johnson who was my favorite 2nd tier type power back reminded me more of Brian Robinson -- powerful, sometimes violent but not consistently violent.  Rodriguez comes off to me more in that Pierce mode.  Not saying one style is better than another.  Just saying Rodriguez's violence isn't something I often see while watching backs.

The Kentucky O line sucked.  It was a narrative surrounding Levis but you can definitely see it with Rodriguez.  The season before last their O line was better and Rodriguez had a bigger year.  Over 6 yards a carry.  Almost 1500 yards combined running and catching.  

Concerned some about his DUI and the suspension from it.  This team tends to draft boy scouts mostly.  So interesting they departed some on this pick.  Wonder if Bieiniemy identified with the DUI, an issue he had long ago and felt he can help get him right.

Watched some interviews of him, comes off as a good kid, intelligent.  He said he liks running off the gun ideally, and thinks outside zone is his wheel house.   Which is interesting coming from a power runner seemed to be tailor made for gap more than zone.  PFF ranked him elite in gap runs.  Good with zone.

Not saying that the dude will be the next Walter Payton.  But I do think his violence jumps on film in a big way.

Though I agree with the overall point he's sort of jack of all trades in some sense.    Rivera did say this was Bienemy's guy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

Draft: B-

Given where we drafted it would have been tough to make too much noise. Think we solidified our defense. LB is sketchy but we’ve never been overly concerned there. 

Offense is a total unknown. We have the playmakers. Can the OL gel and the QB develop? Probably the different between 7-10 and 11-6 next year. 

Biggest hope: Braeden Daniels is a mid round gem. Would love him to be a starter beyond 2023. KJ Henry has the pedigree. Hoping he can put it together and be a starter someday. At the very least a 3rd DE. Glad we addressed DE depth.

Biggest disappointment: no premier OT. I’d really like to upgrade Leno and kick Wylie into Guard. We didn’t do that, and will be tough to do that in the draft next year if we gotta go up for a QB. Again. Hopefully Daniels develops. And maybe we can throw some of our $$ next year at a premier OT if one hits the market again. 

Post-draft cuts: Would expect Roullier, Norwell, Apke … maybe Fuller to be gone. But we’ll hold on to vets for camp presence I’m sure. 

• Like 3