Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think the thing with Rodriguez is that he’s excellent in pass pro picking up blitzes. He could see 3rd down snaps as well as providing some 1/2 down carries to keep Robinson fresh. He looks like he could be a heck of a short yardage and goal line back as well. 

Yeah, I can see the logic for sure, and I don’t mind the pick at all… my surprise was because I thought/assumed we’d be targeting more of a “weapon” for EB.  I also like that this may enable Gibson to move closer to the role most of us envisioned for him.

24 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Roddy the player is good at what he does, but I don't expect him, or any other late round power back, to come in an steal meaningful reps from B-Rob.

A change back at least has a succession plan if Gibby leaves via FA next year even if they are walled of from meaningful reps this year. Roddy feels more like insurance in case B-Rob gets injured rather than a potential improvement or replacement since B has plenty of time on his rookie deal.

Hmm… I’m kinda wrestling with “steal” reps comment.  I think he gives them the opportunity to sub in for BRob when they wanna continue to hammer away at teams.  To give BRob a breather, take the between-the-tackles carries burden away from Gibson, and finish out games.  In other words, he could get meaningful reps, but to help Robinson rather than “steal” from him.  I don’t know, maybe I’m misunderstanding.

But yes, he’s certainly not a replacement for Robinson, whereas a c.o.p back would have been (at least partially) geared toward succession planning (for Gibson).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I can see the logic for sure, and I don’t mind the pick at all… my surprise was because I thought/assumed we’d be targeting more of a “weapon” for EB.  I also like that this may enable Gibson to move closer to the role most of us envisioned for him.

It’s going to be interesting to see what EB does with Gibson. I think he’s been misused so far.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

There are always ways around that.

You sound like my wife when I point to the price tag of a dress she’s looking at.

• Haha 5

Just now, MartinC said:

It’s going to be interesting to see what EB does with Gibson. I think he’s been misused so far.

I'm really excited about that. Gibson and even Samuel too are pretty interesting pieces that we've barely capitalized on.

CRod is just a Jwill clone. I like the thumping they want to do.

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Good front offices do things like this.

RAVENS RECEIVE:

BROWNS RECEIVE:

• Round 6, 2024

I was really hoping we do that and stash him fore next season. But that’s easy for me to say when I my job is not on the line and its odds on I wont be here next season.

• Like 2

Just now, MartinC said:

Yes! Use him like he should have been used. Move him all around. So much unused potential and the reason we all thought they kind of reached to get him

I was psyched when they drafted him, never been used as I envisioned. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

The gap between B Robinson and Chris Rodriguez is not as wide as you might think IMO. Chris is good and if not for an injury, I suspect he likely would have gone a couple of rounds higher. 

I believe it was a suspension, not an injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Yes! Use him like he should have been used. Move him all around. So much unused potential and the reason we all thought they kind of reached to get him

I think Gibson is history. Too ‘soft’ for EB is my guess.

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I tent to forget that Gibby is a 225lbs 4.3 WR who can play RB.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

They would have an $81M dead cap charge if they cut or trade Murray. And he has $35M guaranteed for next season as well.

Yeah the contract is ugly. Post 1/6 trade will spread the hit. Aren’t GB eating 50mil in dead cap on AR this year ? Will see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

100%.  When I try to isolate my favorite things I’ve seen from Gibson to date, it’s the long td off (I believe) a screen play - one of the rare times a screen worked for us, and the catches in the flat where he outran the defender’s angle towards the sideline.  More of that please!  I’ll add that I respect his yards after contact - getting hit in the backfield, and still gaining positive yardage.  The number of times he’d get tripped up though, gaining 5-10 instead of hitting the home run… so frustrating (for him and us).  Getting him into space/out of traffic should be a good situation for him (and us!).

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

100%.  When I try to isolate my favorite things I’ve seen from Gibson to date, it’s the long td off (I believe) a screen play - one of the rare times a screen worked for us, and the catches in the flat where he outran the defender’s angle towards the sideline.  More of that please!  I’ll add that I respect his yards after contact - getting hit in the backfield, and still gaining positive yardage.  The number of times he’d get tripped up though, gaining 5-10 instead of hitting the home run… so frustrating (for him and us).  Getting him into space/out of traffic should be a good situation for him.

Rodriguez seems to have fantastic balance after contact based on some of the cut ups I’ve seen of him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Good front offices do things like this.

RAVENS RECEIVE:

BROWNS RECEIVE:

• Round 6, 2024

• The Eagles traded two of their seventh-round picks to the Houston Texans in exchange for the Texans’ sixth-round pick at No. 191. Then traded pick No. 191 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2024 fifth-rounder.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:
  • The Eagles traded two of their seventh-round picks to the Houston Texans in exchange for the Texans’ sixth-round pick at No. 191. Then traded pick No. 191 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2024 fifth-rounder.

Gonna kill myself watching this team operate until Harris makes wholesale changes, this is some Madden **** 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why do that when we could draft Daniels in the 4rth and then need two picks to get a pass rusher?

I know that Herbig was your guy at 118, but I'm not as sold as you are on his being able to come close to his college production on Sundays.  Great college player, but I'm not sure if his size/speed combination will play as well in the NFL.  Good guy to have on the roster, IMO, but I think Daniels may prove to be the better NFL player.  Henry may just prove to be as good for us as Herbig would have been.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Gonna kill myself watching this team operate until Harris makes wholesale changes, this is some Madden **** 

It's ridiculous. The Eagles draft is perfect. Ringo in the 4rth? Along with Ricks and Mehki Garner afterwards. Carter and Nolan smith? Adding Swift to be a 3rd down back with a 4rth.and turned 2 7's into a future 5th. Howie man. 

2 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I know that Herbig was your guy at 118, but I'm not as sold as you are on his being able to come close to his college production on Sundays.  Great college player, but I'm not sure if his size/speed combination will play as well in the NFL.  Good guy to have on the roster, IMO, but I think Daniels may prove to be the better NFL player.  Henry may just prove to be as good for us as Herbig would have been.

Maybe. I think he'll do well, especially landing with the Steelers. 

His brother is less talented and has stuck in the league.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Rodriguez seems to have fantastic balance after contact based on some of the cut ups I’ve seen of him.

I might quibble about your adjective choice (like if I compare his tape to a guy like Singletary), but yes, I see it as a positive trait for him for sure.

Separate note:  Seems like this season is gonna hinge on the OL (and our qb play of course, though even just decent qb play should get us to the playoffs IMO, if the past is any indication).  I’m not sure how much they improved the oline, but the depth/versatility is kind of incredible.

T - Leno, Lucas

G/T - Wylie, Daniels, Cosmi (technically Charles, though I think his time as a tackle is likely over)

G/C - Gates, Stromberg

G - Paul, Norwell (though surely he’s getting cut…)

C - Roullier, Larsen

Even if we cut Norwell, Roullier and Charles, we’re essentially 5 deep at Tackle, 6 deep at Guard, and 3 deep at Center… with just 9 guys.  That’s pretty dang crazy IMO.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Good moves for the Eagles, but not necessarily for other teams.  With the Eagles roster, those two 7th rounders would probably struggle to make the team, as would a sixth rounder.  A six rounder this year is pretty much considered equal in value to a 5th rounder next year, but for the Eagles, chances are the 5th rounder next year has a better chance to mean something to them.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's ridiculous. The Eagles draft is perfect. Ringo in the 4rth? Along with Ricks and Mehki Garner afterwards. Carter and Nolan smith? Adding Swift to be a 3rd down back with a 4rth.and turned 2 7's into a future 5th. Howie man. 

Maybe. I think he'll do well, especially landing with the Steelers. 

His brother is less talented and has stuck in the league.

Yes, I don't doubt that Herbig will stick in the league, I'm just not sure that he will be the star-quality player that he was at Wisconsin.