Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

I figure most of 23 will be observing the entire organization on the business side and football side.  Realistically, there’s not much they can do to change things for 23.

I do expect he will give Jason the boot, as he will want his own people on the business side. That’s probably the most important thing because we need competent people improving the game day experience and getting that stadium built.

Then the gms will be let go, as gms usually are let go in the summer. Ron will be informed that he will be just a coach for however long he’s here. As for coaching, that will be evaluated during the season and whether he gets the boot or extension will be decided by the new Gm.  That Gm likely won’t be hired until January but there could be an interim guy.

The rest of the changes will occur in 24.

So, don’t expect much this year; it’s next year when we see Josh really make his imprint.  

If Josh decides it’s better to tear it down and completely rebuild, then I am all for it. If he decides that we need only a few pieces, then I’m all for it.

All I want is a team that competes year in and year out.  When the down years happens, it isn’t for a long period. Also, to not be an embarrassment off the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

We could just put "Dan" and "Tanya" signs and people will figure out which bathroom to use.

Is a picture of Dan in the stadium urinals too much? 

Yeah that's not nice. Since it's not fair to ladies. How about their faces on toilet bricks instead.

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

You should probably start by changing your avatar, then lol...

Stupid Farquaad. Now I have to go to the trouble of finding another avatar. It’s a good problem to have.🙂

48 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Is a picture of Dan in the stadium urinals too much? 

Yeah that's not nice. Since it's not fair to ladies. How about their faces on toilet bricks instead.

Beat me to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

All I want is a team that competes year in and year out.  When the down years happens, it isn’t for a long period. Also, to not be an embarrassment off the field.

Your last paragraph says it all. We have something that we haven't had for over 25 years and that's hope. I know Harris and his group doesn't guarantee championships on the field,  but we now have the guarantee of hope. All I ask for is a franchise that makes me proud to support.  Nice stadium with affordable accommodations,  and a all out effort to build a competitive team and successful organization is all I can ask for.  With Danny boy none of that was going to happen.  

Interesting to hear Mike Jones in a podcast talk about some on the business side having ambitions to improve the current stadium experience but Dan gave them a shoestring  budget to do it.

Wonder if Harris opens the wallet to do much more.  I know its all about the new stadium.  but we got about 4 more years with the current one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if Harris opens the wallet to do much more.  I know its all about the new stadium.  but we got about 4 more years with the current one

He is gonna have to, on both the current stadium and beyond.

New administration needs tangible things to point to and deliberately demonstrate: "Look, there is change. Things are different now"

Almost all of the pathways to doing that are gonna cost some money... varying amounts tho.

Gotta provide that bridge for people who left and reformatted their lives.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting to hear Mike Jones in a podcast talk about some on the business side having ambitions to improve the current stadium experience but Dan gave them a shoestring  budget to do it.

I think he has to. Obviously wining and the in field product is the main thing that will drive renewed interest and attendance but he has to build on the goodwill he will have to start and show real interest and investment in the fan experience.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think he has to. Obviously wining and the in field product is the main thing that will drive renewed interest and attendance but he has to build on the goodwill he will have to start and show real interest and investment in the fan experience.

What grabbed me about the statement from Jones which is these guys have some ideas for the current stadium experience, but they did not have the money to do much with it --  I know they went to Vegas among other places to study their gameday experieces.  And with that all, they still did barely nothing like these other teams have done. 

I am thinking some of that stuff happens now.  For example, going to the Vegas game in 2021, that experience was like from another planet.  I don't mean just the stadium but they turned the game into an event.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I want to see better practice fields/facilities from the new owners. We all know that Snyder was pulling money from the team all these years instead of investing in the team in all areas. Fan experience is important too, but the investment for the personnel is most important. Personnel = players.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, peanut0862 said:

So not drafting a franchise QB in the last few years has turned out to be a blessing. If we had starting winning we mite not be as happy as we all are today

The misconduct at workplace had nothing to do with winning or losing. Don't think a SB ring would have helped Dan in that matter as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I do expect he will give Jason the boot, as he will want his own people on the business side. That’s probably the most important thing because we need competent people improving the game day experience and getting that stadium built.

I don't expect this to happen over night.  I think it will happen eventually, maybe within the first 6-9 months, but I don't think it's going to be an Elon buying Twitter and firing everybody on the first day kind of thing.  

What I do think is that a separate person will be put in charge of everything to do with the new stadium, and future facilities and capital improvements.  That could happen very quickly, assuming Harris has somebody in mind for that already.  

But removing Jason from his role, and turning the whole organization over in what will be 2 months before the start of training camp and the season, I think that's unlikely.  And frankly, unnecessary.  

The role I expect to be filled almost immediately would be a new Chief Financial Officer.  I actually don't think they have a permanent one at the moment.  I think the guy they had left, and somebody is filling in.  But I could be wrong. But THAT role will immediately be replaced by somebody Josh Harris trusts.  And will report to Harris, not Wright.  

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Then the gms will be let go, as gms usually are let go in the summer. Ron will be informed that he will be just a coach for however long he’s here. As for coaching, that will be evaluated during the season and whether he gets the boot or extension will be decided by the new Gm.  That Gm likely won’t be hired until January but there could be an interim guy.

I don't think this is going to happen, and I think it's going to drive some folks crazy.  I also don't think it can happen.  I would be willing to bet all the money in my front left pocket that Ron has it EXPLICITLY stated in his contract that he has final say over all football operational matters, and that contract will convey to the new ownership.  So unless Ron is on-board with firing Marty and Martin, and bringing somebody else on to be the GM, and Ron giving up complete control, I think it's almost impossible, because it would be a breach of contract. It wouldn't get to this, but Ron could resign and demand full payment of his contract.  Which, of course, would be the same as firing him.  

So, with that said, I think Ron, Martin and Marty, are all tied at the hip.  When Ron goes, they go.  But as long as Ron is here, they're here.  

Now, does Harris want to can Ron, Martin and Marty now and promote EB or JDR to HC, and bring in a new GM?  He COULD do that.  Would he?  I doubt it.  There is too much respect league wide for Rivera, it would start things off on the wrong foot.  Also, that's EXACTLY what Dan Snyder would do, and we don't want Harris to be Snyder, right?

So, as painful as it is for those who think Ron is Spurrier or Zorn (he's not), you're going to probably have to live with him as head of football ops, with his FO, until he's not.  Which might be the middle of the 2023 season.  Or might be later.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Time will tell but it sure looks like we went from having the worst owner in the NFL (all of sports actually), to hopefully one of the best. I can't see Harris and Company letting the team die on the vine like Snyder did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim seems to think the debt was the main plot line.

But if feels like it was death of a thousand cuts from so many different directions.

It wasn't.  It was a gaping wound with a broad sword, which resulted in the debt, and then a bunch of tiny cuts which maybe helped a bit.  

Snyder made one serious and significant mis-step which set this whole thing in motion, and it doesn't get anywhere near the play it should.  The entire ownership turnover really can be boiled down to one event, and then everything else fanned out from there:

Snyder took out a $50m line of credit against the team and didn't tell his minority owners that he just created debt for them.  

THAT is the catalyst.  Everything else is secondary to that decision Snyder made.  Let's trace it from that decision:

1. Fred Smith et. all wanted out of the ownership group. Understandably.

2. They lined up a buyer, Dan (in the second most stupid decision) didn't take it.  

3. Therefore he bought the entire team, and had to take out a lot of extra debt.

4. After that point, the only real way to pay back the debt on time for him was to get a new minority partnership group.

5. But he couldn't.  And not because of any other reason that ANY billionaire who was interested would call Fred Smith et. al and say "should I?" and they would say "no way" and they wouldn't.  Snyder closed the opportunity to get minority partners by screwing his minority partners.

6. This is where all the "other stuff" comes in.  The only "get out of jail free" card Snyder had was to get a publicly funded new stadium.  And that became bad politics because of everything which was swirling around Snyder for the workplace misconduct stuff.  But even if he HAD gotten a publicly funded new stadium, I'm not sure if would have mattered. 

This really was the perfect storm.  However, the only one of the waves which wasn't overcome-able with the debt situation without access to hundreds of millions of dollars by 2028 when the loans were due.  And that situation was a direct result of the idiotic move to screw over 3 powerful billionaires, including the founder and CEO of FedEx.

The NFL would have protected Dan if the workplace misconduct thing was the only thing.  

The NFL would have helped Dan with the stadium if he was getting a raw deal from the municipalities for no reason.

But after it came out he screwed his partners, it was basically over for him.  That's the unforgivable sin.  Everything else is secondary.

I'm not saying it hasn't been helpful.  But here's the thing:  If Dan didn't screw over the minority partners, they might not have wanted out, he wouldn't have the debt problem, and as an ownership group, they could have easily funded a new stadium.  Dan by himself couldn't.  Dan + Fred Smith et. al absolutely could.

Even in the face of all of the workplace misconduct stuff.  

It was Dan picking a fight with billionaires which did him in.  

It's ALWAYS about the money with the NFL.  ALWAYS.  And this case is no exception.

One note: the debt does NOT mean Dan COULDN'T spend money on FAs if he wanted to.  He could because at the end of the day, the money for contracts comes from the collectively bargained revenue sharing.  Did he want to?  It seems like more no than yes, but they did pay Wentz $28m, and gave Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin top of the market contracts.  So, they could when they wanted to.  Could Dan have put $250m in escrow for Lamar?  Eh, maybe not.  But absent that, he COULD have authorized just about any contractual thing he wanted to. He couldn't use the CBA money to pay off the loans anyway, because of the cap and the floor.  It has to go to the players regardless eventually.  

Paying off the debt on the team and funding/financing a new stadium is in a completely different league, no pun intended. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Debt

B.  Faliure to get a stadium

Then

C.  Booing of Tanya -- they felt the fan misery

D.  Negativty from other owners

E.  the investigations and constant bad PR.

It felt like it all had to happen to bring down the Death Star but C, D, E might have been the gravy to finish him off. 

A led to B.  

E led to C.  

None of this matters if Dan still has Fred Smith et. al as minority owners. He has the money and ability to ride anything out.  Which is why that is the catalyst.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It wasn't.  It was a gaping wound with a broad sword, which resulted in the debt, and then a bunch of tiny cuts which maybe helped a bit.  

Snyder made one serious and significant mis-step which set this whole thing in motion, and it doesn't get anywhere near the play it should.  The entire ownership turnover really can be boiled down to one event, and then everything else fanned out from there:

Snyder took out a $50m line of credit against the team and didn't tell his minority owners that he just created debt for them.  

THAT is the catalyst.  Everything else is secondary to that decision Snyder made.  Let's trace it from that decision:

2. They lined up a buyer, Dan (in the second most stupid decision) didn't take it.  

3. Therefore he bought the entire team, and had to take out a lot of extra debt.

4. After that point, the only real way to pay back the debt on time for him was to get a new minority partnership group.

5. But he couldn't.  And not because of any other reason that ANY billionaire who was interested would call Fred Smith et. al and say "should I?" and they would say "no way" and they wouldn't.  Snyder closed the opportunity to get minority partners by screwing his minority partners.

6. This is where all the "other stuff" comes in.  The only "get out of jail free" card Snyder had was to get a publicly funded new stadium.  And that became bad politics because of everything which was swirling around Snyder for the workplace misconduct stuff.  But even if he HAD gotten a publicly funded new stadium, I'm not sure if would have mattered. 

This really was the perfect storm.  However, the only one of the waves which wasn't overcome-able with the debt situation without access to hundreds of millions of dollars by 2028 when the loans were due.  And that situation was a direct result of the idiotic move to screw over 3 powerful billionaires, including the founder and CEO of FedEx.

The NFL would have protected Dan if the workplace misconduct thing was the only thing.  

The NFL would have helped Dan with the stadium if he was getting a raw deal from the municipalities for no reason.

But after it came out he screwed his partners, it was basically over for him.  That's the unforgivable sin.  Everything else is secondary.

I'm not saying it hasn't been helpful.  But here's the thing:  If Dan didn't screw over the minority partners, they might not have wanted out, he wouldn't have the debt problem, and as an ownership group, they could have easily funded a new stadium.  Dan by himself couldn't.  Dan + Fred Smith et. al absolutely could.

Even in the face of all of the workplace misconduct stuff.  

It was Dan picking a fight with billionaires which did him in.  

It's ALWAYS about the money with the NFL.  ALWAYS.  And this case is no exception.

One note: the debt does NOT mean Dan COULDN'T spend money on FAs if he wanted to.  He could because at the end of the day, the money for contracts comes from the collectively bargained revenue sharing.  Did he want to?  It seems like more no than yes, but they did pay Wentz $28m, and gave Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin top of the market contracts.  So, they could when they wanted to.  Could Dan have put $250m in escrow for Lamar?  Eh, maybe not.  But absent that, he COULD have authorized just about any contractual thing he wanted to. He couldn't use the CBA money to pay off the loans anyway, because of the cap and the floor.  It has to go to the players regardless eventually.  

Paying off the debt on the team and funding/financing a new stadium is in a completely different league, no pun intended. 

A led to B.  

E led to C.  

None of this matters if Dan still has Fred Smith et. al as minority owners. He has the money and ability to ride anything out.  Which is why that is the catalyst.  

Nicely put, VOR.  Because the NFL colluded with him (and even protected him) he was very close to riding it out, but he still needed the stadium.  I agree that him screwing his partners and the subsequent loan was the match in the storage room, I also believe the investigations/etc was the oxygen that flamed the fire and destroyed any political ability to get a stadium.

There will be books written about this, and hopefully movies about this ass-pimple of a person billionaire.

I wish him nothing but what he is due, in a Twilight Zone sense of justice.😉

:229:The Rook    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

OK, mostly what you did is reframe the same point. It's still about the debt.  We are all aware of the sequences with the minority owners which I agree set the path initially.

But none of us can be definitive about it where we can say this is how it went down. 

Even Keim has alluded that he doesn't know for sure but he believes the debt was the main reason.  So whether its me, or you or anyone else here, we don't know definitively.  no one does aside from Dan.  

But if I had to define the most common explanation most who cover them have said.

The debt along with the bad PR killed him.  

The bad PR made it impossible tio get the stadium or lure minority owners.  If he just had the debt without the bad PR he might have survived.  But the bad PR assured he wouldn't have a lifeline out of the debt.

but when its all said and done only Dan of course knows.

Danny Rouhier likes to say it was all about the Bruce Allen email leaks because Bruce didn't send Dan a congratulatory email.  That leak -- lead to reviving the bad PR, leading to the Congressional inquiry, leading to Dan being beyond toxic.  If you recall even in the slew of initial bad PR stories, Virginia was still considering giving public financing help but then they backed off.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

During COVID, Dan stopped giving them dividend payments.  From what I gathered, that led to the avalanche of them wanting to go through the books and wonder why Dan was claiming poverty where they couldn't get their typical dividend payments.