Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

Well then, I guess we're not getting an owner who just hires the right people and gets out of the way, which was part of my original point.

But hey if it works I don't care.

I was just suggesting that the narrative on harris is that he basically hires brilliant people and signs checks 

Apparently that isn't the case.

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Firing the coach was likely the GM's idea but Harris HAS to be consulted when it comes to eating the remaining 2 years/16 mil. I'm sure you know this. It doesn't meen he's meddling and it doesn't make him a comparison to an owner like Dan.

Yes, very much agree with this.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37661016/josh-harris-sees-commanders-windfall-dan-snyder

Document: Josh Harris sees Commanders windfall without Dan Snyder

Josh Harris, the Philadelphia 76ers co-owner who announced an exclusive deal to purchase the Washington Commanders for $6.05 billion, is betting that a change in ownership will solve the financial woes plaguing the franchise.

According to a prospectus prepared by Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment and its advisers and obtained by ESPN, Harris predicts that the removal of Dan Snyder as owner will boost attendance, ticket sales and sponsorship revenue, as well as the team's prospects for a new stadium. The Commanders think Virginia "will offer the best incentive package - potentially up to $1.5 billion" for a new home, the document shows. That sum would nearly double the American-record $750 million in public funds the state of Nevada put toward a new Raiders stadium in 2017.

The 43-page document - titled "Commanders Investment Opportunity" and labeled "Privileged & Confidential" - is notable not only because it's a rare glimpse into the financials of an NFL club, but because a prospectus needed to be drafted at all. The document was used to pitch other limited partners to buy into the deal alongside Harris. In recent history, team buyers like David Tepper of the Carolina Panthers and the Walton-Penner family of the Denver Broncos were wealthy enough to purchase clubs on their own, and there was no need to try to solicit limited buyers.

The document, dated March 2023, is among a number of versions of the prospectus that Harris' team assembled throughout the bid process. It lays out the current financial status of the Commanders, projects both base and "upside" cases for the 2031-32 season and includes projections that account for the building of a new stadium. And like most financial forecasts, the document warns that "past performance is not indicative of future returns."

Last season, the Commanders made $173 million in local revenue -- dollars generated from tickets, sponsorships, parking and other team activities, according to the prospectus. In his base estimate, Harris projects that number will more than double to $380 million by the 2031-32 season - and could hit $466 million that year if the team builds a new stadium.

"The Commanders historically ranked top in the league across all local revenue metrics and attendance. However, the team has significantly spiraled as a result of allegations against current ownership," the prospectus states. "As ownership changes, we see opportunities to substantially drive local revenue and bring the team back to a top NFL market."

A spokesperson for HBSE declined to comment, as did a spokesperson for the Commanders.

Snyder announced in November he was considering selling the team, weeks after an ESPN investigation revealed he was threatening to "blow up" the league with dirt he claimed to have collected on other owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. There are still hurdles remaining before the sale: Snyder's lobbying the league to limit what becomes public from attorney Mary Jo White's forthcoming report, there are questions around Snyder's legal indemnification, and owners are vetting HBSE's limited partners.

...It's a sentiment shared at the top levels of the Commanders. The Snyders "knew the business side would get better on the other side of this," team president Jason Wright told ESPN in March. "They're not dumb."

Gate revenue, which has fallen by an inflation-adjusted two-thirds since 2008 to $58 million last season, is projected to rise to $127 million by 2031-32, according to the base estimate in the prospectus. In this outlook, the team's total revenue, which includes dollars from media rights, would soar from $545 million in 2022 to $959 million in 2032-33 -- or $1.05 billion with a new stadium.

The prospectus serves as a trip down memory lane, a reminder that even as Snyder was vilified during the first half of his tenure as owner, the team was a financial windfall. The prospectus estimates that Washington ranked first in league attendance in 2008, coming off Joe Gibbs' four seasons in his second stint as the team's head coach. In 2010, FedEx Field seated up to 84,500 fans, but the team has increasingly cut capacity, paring it to approximately 58,000 seats last season, the document shows. The prospectus characterizes the current fan base as "disengaged." It says that when allegations of a toxic workplace environment first surfaced in 2020, the team dropped to 31st in league attendance rankings in 2021 and "has since failed to recover."

"The team's passionate fan base, historical loyalty and strong market suggest there is ample room to grow," the prospectus states.

The prospectus uses Harris' resume at the 76ers to provide confidence. Harris estimates spending about $88 million to "help establish ownership's commitment to fan/player experience" - including for new videoboards and a locker room update - and says the group is assuming the need for $100 million for "immediate structural repairs" and maintenance to FedEx Field. Harris also estimates spending $43 million upgrading loge boxes and suites. The document cites that under Harris, the 76ers climbed NBA ticket rankings from 27th in 2014-15 to fifth in 2021-22.

The prospectus also characterizes a new stadium naming rights deal as an opportunity for instant cash. According to the document, FedEx has a stadium naming rights deal worth $7.6 million annually for the Commanders and can cancel the current deal upon a "change of control." A new naming rights deal could be worth at least $30 million annually for the team, Harris' prospectus estimates, though "it could be significantly higher given the DC market and strong corporate presence."

"There's nothing but upside on the other side of this," Wright told ESPN in March. "There will be growth ... because there are people choosing not to do business with us that will choose to do business with us now."

One of the main selling points in the prospectus is that FedEx Field might not be the team's home forever. The prospectus estimates that the team will have a new stadium by 2031 -- with "potential to move into a new stadium earlier" -- a departure from the 2027-28 targets that some Commanders executives have privately offered for years. (The team's contract with Prince George's County expires in 2027.) Although those in league circles and many fans have hoped for a new venue at the site of Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, just east of the Capitol, the Harris document predicts Virginia will offer the best incentives for a new building, up to $1.5 billion. That figure is multiple times more than what had been discussed among Virginia politicians in 2022.

By March of last year, both the Virginia House and Senate had passed a stadium bill. But lawmakers underestimated the public outcry following a February congressional roundtable at the U.S. Capitol, where five female former Commanders employees described numerous allegations of sexual misconduct, both against the team's former senior executives and Snyder himself. The bill died in the legislature's conference committee because its sponsors couldn't whip the votes to send it to the governor.

The prospectus also lists the FedEx Field site and RFK as potential locations for a new stadium.

A source with intimate knowledge of the complications and dynamics in getting a stadium built believe that 2031 is too optimistic, given that the team has no site, no deal, and no financing - and that Harris' group is believed to not have the ability to write a check for a new stadium, like Stan Kroenke did for most of SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. For some owners, a finished stadium can take upwards of a decade to complete. The prospectus notes that the Commanders purchased an option to acquire 200 acres of land in Virginia for $100 million.

According to the prospectus, the land at the FedEx Field site is worth about $284 million, while the practice facility land is valued at about $441 million.

The prospectus also shows the Commanders owe $1 billion to the NFL, but the document does not detail the terms of the debt.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@redskinss I think you’re taking message board posters talking about the 76ers stuff too seriously, I don’t think there’s been any reports that Harris personally went over his GM’s head and fired the coach even, people are just ascribing the 76ers moves to Harris bc they’re looking for a clue as to how he runs his orgs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting stuff in that article. Some good things I didn't know about and some less enthusiastic stuff too.

Good/Cool

-New ownership is allowed to cancel the deal w/ Fed Ex for stadium naming rights and sign a more lucrative deal for some quick cash. I think this needs to happen like day 1. Drop the Fed Ex name, Its associated w/ a factory of sadness. Absolute no brainer. Make it happen. Zombie stamp of approval.

-Harris group has a clear understanding of how much of a depressed market this fan base is, and how reviving it would be a massive financial gain.

-Driving up local revenue seems to be a priority. Great for the local fan base and community.

-Harris group estimated that they would need to put 100Mil into FedEx for "immediate structural repairs and maintenance". That's huge, and should solidify the idea that this new group is gonna seriously invest in the existing product the way they need to moving forward.

-New stadium deal could have gargantuan levels of public funding, which is great for the team.

Not so good

-Iffy about getting that new stadium b4 2031. We likely won't be getting any kind of boon from that anytime soon.

-Further skepticism about the financials of Harris' bid and whether it would be approved in a non-Snyder scenario. As long as he can foot the bill for everything I don't really care, but its not a fun thing to hear. He are likely gonna be leaning on our minority owners pretty hard financially.

-Commanders owe 1 Billion to the NFL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irrelevance of this team bothers me almost as much as the sleaze.  

Part of it for me is I among others on the FO thread, back in the Bruce days, would hammer home how that regime is pushing this team into irrelevance -- most boring, sleazy, oddly arrogant team in the NFL.  It didn't take Nostradamus to predict that the day will come where a team with declining relevance would hit almost total oblivion. 

I talk to NFL fans a lot because I like to wear Washington garb, so i get hit up in stores or when I travel, etc -- and its impossible to miss that over the years this team has becoming really obscure.  The odds of meeting someone who also likes Washington or would say something good about this team has gotten lower and lower over the years.

Heck if the London games started to happen for the first time during this era as opposed to when it did -- we'd be Jacksonville -- they'd be sending this team to London because this is the lowest one as to fans and as national interest. 

The team that has been a national punchline as far as irrelevance -- ESPN this year, First Take a year ago, GMF a couple of years ago.  We are not only irrelevant but have become a punchline for being irrelevant.  

I have an extremely vested interest in building some sort of pride.  My wife will never understand that when I moved out to the Philly area, it was an ungodly sacrifice. I have two kids in elementary school, and I *NEED* them to be able to have some pride in the one thing I'll force on them.  Not religion, not any other sport, not politics, ONLY this. I was a freshman in high school when this schmuck took over. It was miserable from then through now, and that's without the Eagles being dominant while living in Philly. 

My kids need to have the exact opposite experience. They just need to.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37661016/josh-harris-sees-commanders-windfall-dan-snyder

Document: Josh Harris sees Commanders windfall without Dan Snyder

Josh Harris, the Philadelphia 76ers co-owner who announced an exclusive deal to purchase the Washington Commanders for $6.05 billion, is betting that a change in ownership will solve the financial woes plaguing the franchise.

According to a prospectus prepared by Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment and its advisers and obtained by ESPN, Harris predicts that the removal of Dan Snyder as owner will boost attendance, ticket sales and sponsorship revenue, as well as the team's prospects for a new stadium. The Commanders think Virginia "will offer the best incentive package - potentially up to $1.5 billion" for a new home, the document shows. That sum would nearly double the American-record $750 million in public funds the state of Nevada put toward a new Raiders stadium in 2017.

The 43-page document - titled "Commanders Investment Opportunity" and labeled "Privileged & Confidential" - is notable not only because it's a rare glimpse into the financials of an NFL club, but because a prospectus needed to be drafted at all. The document was used to pitch other limited partners to buy into the deal alongside Harris. In recent history, team buyers like David Tepper of the Carolina Panthers and the Walton-Penner family of the Denver Broncos were wealthy enough to purchase clubs on their own, and there was no need to try to solicit limited buyers.

The document, dated March 2023, is among a number of versions of the prospectus that Harris' team assembled throughout the bid process. It lays out the current financial status of the Commanders, projects both base and "upside" cases for the 2031-32 season and includes projections that account for the building of a new stadium. And like most financial forecasts, the document warns that "past performance is not indicative of future returns."

Last season, the Commanders made $173 million in local revenue -- dollars generated from tickets, sponsorships, parking and other team activities, according to the prospectus. In his base estimate, Harris projects that number will more than double to $380 million by the 2031-32 season - and could hit $466 million that year if the team builds a new stadium.

"The Commanders historically ranked top in the league across all local revenue metrics and attendance. However, the team has significantly spiraled as a result of allegations against current ownership," the prospectus states. "As ownership changes, we see opportunities to substantially drive local revenue and bring the team back to a top NFL market."

A spokesperson for HBSE declined to comment, as did a spokesperson for the Commanders.

Snyder announced in November he was considering selling the team, weeks after an ESPN investigation revealed he was threatening to "blow up" the league with dirt he claimed to have collected on other owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. There are still hurdles remaining before the sale: Snyder's lobbying the league to limit what becomes public from attorney Mary Jo White's forthcoming report, there are questions around Snyder's legal indemnification, and owners are vetting HBSE's limited partners.

...It's a sentiment shared at the top levels of the Commanders. The Snyders "knew the business side would get better on the other side of this," team president Jason Wright told ESPN in March. "They're not dumb."

Gate revenue, which has fallen by an inflation-adjusted two-thirds since 2008 to $58 million last season, is projected to rise to $127 million by 2031-32, according to the base estimate in the prospectus. In this outlook, the team's total revenue, which includes dollars from media rights, would soar from $545 million in 2022 to $959 million in 2032-33 -- or $1.05 billion with a new stadium.

The prospectus serves as a trip down memory lane, a reminder that even as Snyder was vilified during the first half of his tenure as owner, the team was a financial windfall. The prospectus estimates that Washington ranked first in league attendance in 2008, coming off Joe Gibbs' four seasons in his second stint as the team's head coach. In 2010, FedEx Field seated up to 84,500 fans, but the team has increasingly cut capacity, paring it to approximately 58,000 seats last season, the document shows. The prospectus characterizes the current fan base as "disengaged." It says that when allegations of a toxic workplace environment first surfaced in 2020, the team dropped to 31st in league attendance rankings in 2021 and "has since failed to recover."

"The team's passionate fan base, historical loyalty and strong market suggest there is ample room to grow," the prospectus states.

The prospectus uses Harris' resume at the 76ers to provide confidence. Harris estimates spending about $88 million to "help establish ownership's commitment to fan/player experience" - including for new videoboards and a locker room update - and says the group is assuming the need for $100 million for "immediate structural repairs" and maintenance to FedEx Field. Harris also estimates spending $43 million upgrading loge boxes and suites. The document cites that under Harris, the 76ers climbed NBA ticket rankings from 27th in 2014-15 to fifth in 2021-22.

The prospectus also characterizes a new stadium naming rights deal as an opportunity for instant cash. According to the document, FedEx has a stadium naming rights deal worth $7.6 million annually for the Commanders and can cancel the current deal upon a "change of control." A new naming rights deal could be worth at least $30 million annually for the team, Harris' prospectus estimates, though "it could be significantly higher given the DC market and strong corporate presence."

"There's nothing but upside on the other side of this," Wright told ESPN in March. "There will be growth ... because there are people choosing not to do business with us that will choose to do business with us now."

One of the main selling points in the prospectus is that FedEx Field might not be the team's home forever. The prospectus estimates that the team will have a new stadium by 2031 -- with "potential to move into a new stadium earlier" -- a departure from the 2027-28 targets that some Commanders executives have privately offered for years. (The team's contract with Prince George's County expires in 2027.) Although those in league circles and many fans have hoped for a new venue at the site of Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, just east of the Capitol, the Harris document predicts Virginia will offer the best incentives for a new building, up to $1.5 billion. That figure is multiple times more than what had been discussed among Virginia politicians in 2022.

By March of last year, both the Virginia House and Senate had passed a stadium bill. But lawmakers underestimated the public outcry following a February congressional roundtable at the U.S. Capitol, where five female former Commanders employees described numerous allegations of sexual misconduct, both against the team's former senior executives and Snyder himself. The bill died in the legislature's conference committee because its sponsors couldn't whip the votes to send it to the governor.

The prospectus also lists the FedEx Field site and RFK as potential locations for a new stadium.

A source with intimate knowledge of the complications and dynamics in getting a stadium built believe that 2031 is too optimistic, given that the team has no site, no deal, and no financing - and that Harris' group is believed to not have the ability to write a check for a new stadium, like Stan Kroenke did for most of SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. For some owners, a finished stadium can take upwards of a decade to complete. The prospectus notes that the Commanders purchased an option to acquire 200 acres of land in Virginia for $100 million.

According to the prospectus, the land at the FedEx Field site is worth about $284 million, while the practice facility land is valued at about $441 million.

The prospectus also shows the Commanders owe $1 billion to the NFL, but the document does not detail the terms of the debt.

We have all been saying this for a while. Only thing holding this franchise back from printing money, gaining sponsor dollars, merchandise and new facilities was Snyder. Not news to any of us.

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Further skepticism about the financials of Harris' bid and whether it would be approved in a non-Snyder scenario.

I knew we should have gone with the Brian Davis bid....joking of course. I think this is the way things will go with teams that are for sale. Very few will have the financial ability to purchase a team without a lot of minority owners and a lot of debt. Of course Snyder made things worse with his ineptness.

i'm not opposed to virginia posturing hard for the new stadium but what I am concerned about is the location in pw county. **** they might as well put it halfway to richmond. Hard enough to get down there with 95 traffic on a normal weekend (Saturday / Sunday and 95 is ALL red...for no reason at all lol)

Then you throw gameday traffic into that? What are you thinkin'?

• Like 1

As expensive as teams are getting, I think the league will have to give a little when it comes to the amount of financiers or partners in a team. They'll need to re-examine that... among other things.

Not excited about public dollars going toward a stadium. Doesn't matter where it is. Let them find the money themselves, just like they do here. All this is happening way too close to the lease ending in 2027 to realistically have a new stadium by then. I'm sure the money they put into that dump in Landover will give them returns at the end of the day.

Just now, ixcuincle said:

i'm not opposed to virginia posturing hard for the new stadium but what I am concerned about is the location in pw county. **** they might as well put it halfway to richmond. Hard enough to get down there with 95 traffic on a normal weekend (Saturday / Sunday and 95 is ALL red...for no reason at all lol)

Same thing residents of NoVa say about getting to Landover... :rofl89:

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

They will need to build a dedicated/separate 95 for it to work.  LOL  

Open question:

The article made reference to Harris estimated spending "$88 million to help establish ownership's commitment to fan/player experience - including for new videoboards and a locker room update"...

but i could not clearly determine if that was an estimation of what he spent on the 76ers or if that is an additional estimation to what the Harris group sees as to needing to invest into Washington.

What are some of your thoughts?

26 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Open question:

The article made reference to Harris estimated spending "$88 million to help establish ownership's commitment to fan/player experience - including for new videoboards and a locker room update"...

but i could not clearly determine if that was an estimation of what he spent on the 76ers or if that is an additional estimation to what the Harris group sees as to needing to invest into Washington.

What he’s gonna spend here is my take.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

I *NEED* them to be able to have some pride in the one thing I'll force on them

Force on them an education and force on them the ability to critically think.  Then you can sit back and take pride in them when they make the correct decision.

...and if they don't and choose to root for the eagles, disown them and try again.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Open question:

Looks like in the estimations they’re making they’re cutting up stadium expenses into categories—that bigger 100M+ number was for structural updates and maintenance to the stadium and the ~88M seems more like luxury/quality of life updates that effect player and fan gameday experience. I could be misinterpreting but that’s how I took those two separate numbers. 

41 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Force on them an education and force on them the ability to critically think.  Then you can sit back and take pride in them when they make the correct decision.

...and if they don't and choose to root for the eagles, disown them and try again.

I know you’re kinda joking, but this post is funny for another reason—bc I mean, if you encourage your kids to get educated and make critical, rational decisions…they’re going to choose to be Eagles fans, living in Philly among every other reason on the planet lol. The only way you’re getting them to be Commanders fans in Philly is through brainwashing. So your post is kinda backwards. 

Edited by Conn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Jets are the natural draw, indeed.  Question is will the NFL push it on them even if they don't want to be on it.  Ditto the Bears, where I read they don't want to be on it.  They still might override them and force them on the show.  But I recall reading once the NFL at least factors a team's desires on that front.  

Whereas this team according to Keim not only do they want to be on it but are lobbying for it.

Who knows will see. 

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-reluctant-hard-knocks-2023

NY Jets 'reluctant' to appear on 'Hard Knocks' this season

The Jets themselves, however, aren't too thrilled about the idea. Brian Costello of the New York Post reported last week that the Jets "will resist appearing on the show."

Costello reported that the "coaches are reluctant because of the distractions it can cause," and that adding Rodgers is going to draw enough attention. The Jets don't want the cameras and increased media attention.

If Jets the didn’t want national attention, then they shouldn’t have traded for Aaron. As long as Aaron is there , the eyes will

be on them. The expectation is a SuperBowl title before Aaron retires.

Post Aaron, Jets go back to being the 2nd class team in NY.

5 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Rivers deserved to get fired, he has a loooong history of his teams blowing 3-1 series leads and losing in Game 7 with lackluster effort. If this was just the 1st or 2nd time it happened, I doubt Harris would have fired him.

I'm sure Rivers getting fired is making Rivera sweat a bit more. Which I think will lead him to knee-jerk decisions during the season if they start the season belly-up again...maybe Rivera will pull an Irsay and start rotating QBs on every series.

I see Junks had Lovero on today and he said he thinks Jacoby will be day 1 starter. Ron has to win games and he feels Ron will Go with the qb best prepared, a veteran qb over what would really be a rookie season for Sam.

We’ll see what happens.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Some interesting stuff in that article. Some good things I didn't know about and some less enthusiastic stuff too.

Good/Cool

-New ownership is allowed to cancel the deal w/ Fed Ex for stadium naming rights and sign a more lucrative deal for some quick cash. I think this needs to happen like day 1. Drop the Fed Ex name, Its associated w/ a factory of sadness. Absolute no brainer. Make it happen. Zombie stamp of approval.

-Harris group has a clear understanding of how much of a depressed market this fan base is, and how reviving it would be a massive financial gain.

-Driving up local revenue seems to be a priority. Great for the local fan base and community.

-Harris group estimated that they would need to put 100Mil into FedEx for "immediate structural repairs and maintenance". That's huge, and should solidify the idea that this new group is gonna seriously invest in the existing product the way they need to moving forward.

-New stadium deal could have gargantuan levels of public funding, which is great for the team.

Not so good

-Iffy about getting that new stadium b4 2031. We likely won't be getting any kind of boon from that anytime soon.

-Further skepticism about the financials of Harris' bid and whether it would be approved in a non-Snyder scenario. As long as he can foot the bill for everything I don't really care, but its not a fun thing to hear. He are likely gonna be leaning on our minority owners pretty hard financially.

-Commanders owe 1 Billion to the NFL.

Is it the Commanders or Dan, who owes the money? Dan would pay off the Billion from the 6 billion he gets.

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

DC better get its act together, and fast. Harris ain't playing. I like this.

Actually the feds control that land and if they don’t give DC control, then they can’t do a thing.

I think there will be an honest attempt to get the stadium in DC at the RFK site but it won’t happen and either VA or MD will land the stadium.

I think the off the field stuff in 2020 was bad, but not taking the name change into consideration is a miss. I know this isn’t where that whole discussion goes, but it’s interesting to me how quickly it’s passed over. I think it was and is a huge deal. If ticket sales plummeted then, they should be considering both factors into future changes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think the off the field stuff in 2020 was bad, but not taking the name change into consideration is a miss. I know this isn’t where that whole discussion goes, but it’s interesting to me how quickly it’s passed over. I think it was and is a huge deal. If ticket sales plummeted then, they should be considering both factors into future changes. 

How much of a ****-storm would they create if they were like: "you know what, we're going back to Redskins..." 

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

• Like 2