Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If he is still the owner he can put out a statement through the team and try to defend himself. If they release a report after he is no longer owner it seems unfair to him regardless of how horrible a person he was. This isn’t a public office, nor a publicly traded company. It’s a private enterprise he no longer is a part of. This isn’t the DA doing an investigation. It’s a private business.

The point of the report is to determine disciplinary actions based on the operating agreement the teams have with the NFL. He is no longer subject to their disciplinary system as soon as he is no longer an owner. Additionally, he never sat for questions with MJW. It’s an incomplete investigation. The commissioner could have compelled him to cooperate while he was still owner. That didn’t happen. The report by definition can’t be complete without his responses. It is moot. 

Well I think this is incredibly insensitive to the victims, who were burned in the past when Goodell buried the Wilkinson Report. And again he promised transparency this time and that the report would be released.

Another way to look at it is Dan is no longer a protected owner, Goodell and the league has no reason to bury this report as he did in the past.  I say let's see it all and let the chips fall where they fall.  Open him up to law suites if applicable and most importantly do it for the victims  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I get the draw with the Jets and agree they likely end up getting Hard Knocks.

But be interesting to see if we have a shot from the context of according to Keim this FO really really wants Hard Knock bad.  So i presume they are lobbying for it.   And not every team that qualifies wants to be on it -- let alone push for it. 

In this past, from what I heard from beat guys, this team wanted nothing to do with Hard Knocks.  But now that its cemented that this team might be the most irrelevant-least interesting team in the NFL they apparently see the value to bring a little national attention for a change.  That attention won't be via prime time games next years we got zero Sunday or Monday night games.

But wonder if the NFL would have some intrigue to give a PR boost to the new ownership, etc.

Lions were somewhat irrleevant -- not that Hard Knocks turned it around but it helped.  They went from dead last in attendance to selling out their opener. 

Heck this team in now the dead last kings in attendance.  Maybe for similar reasons there is an off chance they give a little PR lifeline -- though agree it only happens if the Jets reject it.  But its certainly possible -- this isn't the only team that has rejected the idea of doing Hard Knocks in the past. 

The Jets were #2 in the league in attendance.   The Jets have 6 primetime games (Black Friday is the 6th and they allow that game apparently to break the max of 5 prime time games) 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I usually hate the idea of Hard Knocks, but as @Skinsinparadise has said for a long time now, it'll help relevance so much.

The only thing I think is a major barrier is the MJW report. That is not something you want coming out while the spotlight is literally already on you. God damn I hate Snyder.

The irrelevance of this team bothers me almost as much as the sleaze.  

Part of it for me is I among others on the FO thread, back in the Bruce days, would hammer home how that regime is pushing this team into irrelevance -- most boring, sleazy, oddly arrogant team in the NFL.  It didn't take Nostradamus to predict that the day will come where a team with declining relevance would hit almost total oblivion. 

I talk to NFL fans a lot because I like to wear Washington garb, so i get hit up in stores or when I travel, etc -- and its impossible to miss that over the years this team has becoming really obscure.  The odds of meeting someone who also likes Washington or would say something good about this team has gotten lower and lower over the years.

Heck if the London games started to happen for the first time during this era as opposed to when it did -- we'd be Jacksonville -- they'd be sending this team to London because this is the lowest one as to fans and as national interest. 

The team that has been a national punchline as far as irrelevance -- ESPN this year, First Take a year ago, GMF a couple of years ago.  We are not only irrelevant but have become a punchline for being irrelevant.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

What the current front office wants is irrelevant.  The front office- business and personnel side are on limited time.

It’s what the new owners want. I think they would rather wait, at least a year. The team this year doesn’t have their stamp on it. Next year, the team will be theirs and with their stamp on it. It will be better to showcase the team with their Gm, head coach and first group of free agents and draft class. Also, a year from

now, they can make improvements and showcase that.

Jets should be a lock. Who makes better viewing, Aaron Rodgers or Sam Howell?

For this team to become irrelevant again, just build a consistent winner. It will take a little time to do that but once you do that, relevance will return.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Was it Harris who fired him or the GM/Team President etc?

I'd imagine it came at least with the blessing of the owner.

There's a whoooooole lot of dead weight in the FO of this team, including the HC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Jets should be a lock. Who makes better viewing, Aaron Rodgers or Sam Howell?

For this team to become irrelevant again, just build a consistent winner. It will take a little time to do that but once you do that, relevance will return.

The Jets are the natural draw, indeed.  Question is will the NFL push it on them even if they don't want to be on it.  Ditto the Bears, where I read they don't want to be on it.  They still might override them and force them on the show.  But I recall reading once the NFL at least factors a team's desires on that front.  

Whereas this team according to Keim not only do they want to be on it but are lobbying for it.

Who knows will see. 

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-reluctant-hard-knocks-2023

NY Jets 'reluctant' to appear on 'Hard Knocks' this season

The Jets themselves, however, aren't too thrilled about the idea. Brian Costello of the New York Post reported last week that the Jets "will resist appearing on the show."

Costello reported that the "coaches are reluctant because of the distractions it can cause," and that adding Rodgers is going to draw enough attention. The Jets don't want the cameras and increased media attention.

22 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I'd imagine it came at least with the blessing of the owner.

There's a whoooooole lot of dead weight in the FO of this team, including the HC.

Rivers was fired with 2 years/16 mil left on his deal....no doubt it was Harris who fired him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Rivers was fired with 2 years/16 mil left on his deal....no doubt it was Harris who fired him.

Well if it was then we're all wrong about him not meddling and just hiring the best people and letting them do their jobs.

That said, talk about setting the bar in a much much higher place.

Can you imagine if this team got playoff victories in 4 straight seasons?

That coach would get a statue, not run out a town that's for sure.

33 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Well if it was then we're all wrong about him not meddling and just hiring the best people and letting them do their jobs.

Rivers deserved to get fired, he has a loooong history of his teams blowing 3-1 series leads and losing in Game 7 with lackluster effort. If this was just the 1st or 2nd time it happened, I doubt Harris would have fired him.

I'm sure Rivers getting fired is making Rivera sweat a bit more. Which I think will lead him to knee-jerk decisions during the season if they start the season belly-up again...maybe Rivera will pull an Irsay and start rotating QBs on every series.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

16 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Rivers deserved to get fired, he has a loooong history of his teams blowing 3-1 series leads and losing in Game 7 with lackluster effort. If this was just the 1st or 2nd time it happened, I doubt Harris would have fired him.

I never meant to suggest he shouldn't get fired but if the owner doesn't meddle at all then there's only one person he should ever hire or fire and that's the general manager. 

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I never meant to suggest he shouldn't get fired but if the owner doesn't meddle at all then there's only one person he should ever hire or fire and that's the general manager. 

Are the GM and Owner allowed to talk to each other about these topics, per your imaginary rule book on how to build a successful NBA/NFL franchise?

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are the GM and Owner allowed to talk to each other about these topics, per your imaginary rule book on how to build a successful NBA/NFL franchise?

Of course they are don't be a smart ass, I'm talking about over ruling and firing.

If the structure is done the way we're hoping they'll talk and the general manager will fire the coach.

In the system we've dreaded for the last 25 years the owner made most of the big decisions. 

It all started with a comment about how it was harris and not the general manager who did the firing.

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Of course they are don't be a smart ass, I'm talking about over ruling and firing.

If the structure is done the way we're hoping they'll talk and the general manager will fire the coach.

In the system we've dreaded for the last 25 years the owner made most of the big decisions. 

It all started with a comment about how it was harris and not the general manager who did the firing.

Yes, Harris is an aggressive owner that wants to win. He is going to hire an aggressive GM. 

You are ignoring nuance and creating a problem over assumptions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I disagree, at some point the owner has to get involved and with Harris he has been with major decisions, especially when it comes to money and spending it or eating it. My prediction is that RR will get every benefit of the doubt and that Harris will like him but the results will have to come. Same with others in the front office, they'll get chances to impress Harris but the team will need to win. It was time for Doc Rivers to go and there are some great options out there who are available.

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Firing the coach was likely the GM's idea but Harris HAS to be consulted when it comes to eating the remaining 2 years/16 mil. I'm sure you know this. It doesn't meen he's meddling and it doesn't make him a comparison to an owner like Dan.

• Like 3