Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

theplayerstribune.com: Thank You, Washington

TK

Might not be the best QB, but the Taylor Heinicke chapter was a pretty interesting one for the franchise. Great story.  Maybe a 30 for 30 one day (the cover photo has him drinking beer out of the helmet I'm calling it right now). I wish him all the success in the world, except when he is playing us.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Heck of a dude.  I feel like that letter was a girlfriend breaking up with me.  

This part of Redskins, Washington, commanders, whatever the heck we are will go down as one of the most tumultuous periods for a team.  TH was here for that, and gave us hope.  For a dude that was sleeping on a couch weeks before starting a playoff game, that’s pretty cool.

• Like 2

As I read the article my first thought is, he's got to be reading the threads here.

The details of our opinions on him are spelled out pretty accurately, from the way he played totally fearlessly in the bucs game and how it kept creeping in to his head that he may get another opportunity, many here took that to be why he didn't play with reckless abandon anymore and it seemed like that was his way of confirming that.

Then there's the admittance of a weak arm and tendency to throw picks, which was the biggest criticism around here.

The whole thing felt like a personal summation to the quarterback thread from the last couple years.

He's definitely a down to earth humble guy who's impossible not to want to cheer for and see have success.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, method man said:

He made watching this team a lot more fun when he was in. My personal top 3 for him:

1) The pylon dive in the playoff game

2) The bomb to Terry in Indy this year

3) The gamewinner to McKissic vs Atlanta in 2021

Touchdown pass to Seals-Jones against the Giants (you know the one!)

I'll be rooting for TH...unless he gets in our way!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I've always said that the #1 most important job of the backup QB is to keep the season from being derailed while the starter is out. Unfortunately, our starters the last two years were out for way longer than 3-4 weeks...so Heinicke's job description this past season--and the season before--went from "just keep the season from being derailed," to "post a winning record and lead the team to the playoffs." Have only been a handful of QBs around here over the last 23 years who have been able to do that.

So I always appreciated what he did bring to the field and to the team, and for doing what was needed for the team to get whatever wins they got with him behind center. For some reason I don't find myself feeling the desire to wish him luck lol...not sure why, but I don't. I don't wish him bad luck, either, though. It's almost like I know he'll be fine. But I do--and always will--appreciate his time here and his effort and how he helped make the last two seasons not just bearable, but enjoyable.

There are a LOT of ex-NFL/XFL/college QBs who would give anything to be in your shoes, my dude...

Players Association Sport GIF by NBPA

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, redskinss said:

As I read the article my first thought is, he's got to be reading the threads here.

The details of our opinions on him are spelled out pretty accurately, from the way he played totally fearlessly in the bucs game and how it kept creeping in to his head that he may get another opportunity, many here took that to be why he didn't play with reckless abandon anymore and it seemed like that was his way of confirming that.

Then there's the admittance of a weak arm and tendency to throw picks, which was the biggest criticism around here.

The whole thing felt like a personal summation to the quarterback thread from the last couple years.

He's definitely a down to earth humble guy who's impossible not to want to cheer for and see have success.

I couldn’t help but think similarly—if one of the insufferable dorks here fed that thread to ChatGPT and asked it to spit out Heinicke’s emotional goodbye letter, this is what would come out of it. Bang on. Which I think just proves what many said—that Heinicke was self-aware and more honest about himself than some fans. It was a good read. I’m sure he will live on in the memories of many fans of this unfortunate era of Washington football as one of the bright spots. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, method man said:

Yep. Wasn’t the catch probability on that play something like 10%?

I believe someone said it was like 13% or something. I was pretty sure we were going to lose that game. I think I hate the Giants more right now more than the Eagles or Cowboys.

• Like 2

Glad I got a chance to read this. TH, as he admitted himself, isnt a starter level QB in this league. But he gave everything he had on every single snap. It is tough. Because true HOF QB's have TH's attitude and guts while being blessed with god given talent. So many have that god given talent yet never come close to scratching the surface of things Heineke has. I wish the man all the best. And I am happy for him that he has been able to set up his financial future for life off of his gutty play alone.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:52 AM, Warhead36 said:

Two seasons in a row he came in for an injured starter and at least helped keep the season alive. Gotta appreciate that.

As a backup QB, he did his job...seasons are supposed to be over when the starting QB goes down for huge stretches or an entire season...

I don't want to go any further then that here, great piece by him and not surprised at all he wrote it...

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

As a backup QB, he did his job...seasons are supposed to be over when the starting QB goes down for huge stretches or an entire season...

I don't want to go any further then that here, great piece by him and not surprised at all he wrote it...

I'm surprised he wrote it, that was really eloquent.

• Like 1