Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen? You are the GM who do you keep?

Redskinscub

Allen. As good as Payne was, Allen is the cog that keeps this defense together. He's better against the run and demands consistent double teams. He's also a leader in the locker room. 

But they're both fantastic and we absolutely should keep Payne. We've finally built a strong unit and we're about to decimate it because of "money".

Bezos hurry up and buy the team please.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Gotta keep both. After selling the team, this is my next biggest priority. Don’t turn a strength into a weakness

Agreed. When you draft guys and they become pro bowl talents you need to keep them. Payne has missed 1 game in his career....he shows up and produces every week. I don't care if we have to franchise him, keep him. 

Right now if I had to part ways with any of our line I'd see what Chase Young could get us in return.

• Thumb up 1

Regardless of when you stop franchising him, you get a 3rd rd comp pick with the deal he will sign as long as we don’t sign someone equivalent Worst case he’s here with us tagging next 2 years if we can’t do a deal. Zero chance you let him hit free agency this year. Payne will for sure be here in 2023. If not some people are sabotaging the team intentionally.

1 hour ago, Birdlives said:

Gotta keep both. After selling the team, this is my next biggest priority. Don’t turn a strength into a weakness

This, They make each other better. Dallas game not as much pressure on QB, but the Cowboys do have a good OL. At times we rushed only 3 cannot do that with Allen. But we can get in the backfield and disrupt more. 

I gotta be one of the biggest Payne fans on this board and have been preaching from the rooftops that he'd have this kind of year, but now I have a feeling that he's gonna Haynesworth someone. He is too money driven. If it was about glory and legacy, he's be about staying with Allen, but he's ready to retire. 

He'll be a 100 sack DT when his career is over I think, but we should let him walk. Can't believe I'm saying that.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

@Koolblue13I hate to but I have to agree with you. Payne is just too talented he just did not always show the motor (to be fair I think it was somewhat scheme driven that he was stuck head on with doubles.

But man Allen is a guy who squeezes ever ounce out of his physical talent, Daron has only ever seemed to do that this year. 

I'd pick Jon Allen's brain on it for sure

• Like 3

I don't think Payne is a Haynesworth type. He's been an ascending player the last couple of years. He was just really young when he entered the league. He's only 25 which for a guy who has played five years is ridiculously young. Dude came into the league at 20. He's just now hitting his prime. Also remember that his first couple of years he was playing as a space eating 3-4 NT where he couldn't really shine as a disrupter. This was his third year in the 4-3 and typically that's when guys really break out.

• Thumb up 2

Its all about the intangibles. Allen>Payne. Count me in on the concerned bunch that Paynes play may decline when he cashes in. Its not a high level of concern though and I think he should be retained unless traded for a 1st rounder. I was excited to see what Mathis could do and Ridgeway does look like a savy steal off a PS roster.

• Thumb up 2

Allen.  I'm not convinced Payne is gonna keep up this contract year level of performance.  Timing is everything, but the entire body of work doesn't suggest we're gonna see this version of Payne every year.  His floor is solid DT with flashes though, so still a guy I'd want around, but at the right price.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1