Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen? You are the GM who do you keep?

Redskinscub

Jon Allen and its not even close. Most of Paynes production is coming from the 3T which is not what he was drafted for and it moves Jon out of his position that he honestly dominates at. I might be wrong in 3 years if Jons arthritic shoulders are shot but right now at this point in time its Allen and its not even close. Jon Allen is the best player on this team. I hate watching Jon and Daron switch up between 0/1 and 3T just because I know we are wasting a great snap from Allen. 

12 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I hate to but I have to agree with you. Payne is just too talented he just did not always show the motor (to be fair I think it was somewhat scheme driven that he was stuck head on with doubles.

Some body has to. Its the point of the position. If its not Daron its Jon. Its a total waste to scheme Jon to have doubles. 

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Jon Allen and its not even close. Most of Paynes production is coming from the 3T which is not what he was drafted for and it moves Jon out of his position that he honestly dominates at. I might be wrong in 3 years if Jons arthritic shoulders are shot but right now at this point in time its Allen and its not even close. Jon Allen is the best player on this team. I hate watching Jon and Daron switch up between 0/1 and 3T just because I know we are wasting a great snap from Allen. 

There are many pessimists here. You are the most pessimisty of them all on all topics.

Payne did excellent at 3T this year. As has Allen. Changing it up has likely benefitted them both.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

There are many pessimists here. You are the most pessimisty of them all on all topics.

Payne did excellent at 3T this year. As has Allen. Changing it up has likely benefitted them both.

I think not punching each other in the head on national TV was also beneficial 🤣

• Haha 4

It would be great to keep them both, but I have a feeling Payne may be looking for a payday he might not be worth. I think he's a good player, but I almost never trust it when a guy completely blows up in a contract year. Prior to 2022 Payne was a very solid player but didn't put up much in the way of sacks and then had 11.5. I'm not necessarily saying that's all due to him being in a contract year, but it still makes me nervous about giving him a record breaking contract (assuming that's what he might be after).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

After the season he just had, and the fact that price tags always increase year after year, I doubt Payne accepts anything less than what Allen got.  If we offer lower than that, he will probably want to test the market and see if he can get it elsewhere.  I would start offering him a shade lower, and if he rejects, I'd ultimately offer him the same deal Allen got. Then tag him if he rejects that.

I think those 2 in the middle together give us such a huge advantage, no matter who is at DE.  Our dline was doing great even with toohill and JSW in there. 

We would have 2 reserves, Ridgeway and Mathis, locked up on rookie deals for 3 more years, that helps with asset allocation.  And who knows if we ever lock up sweat or young. They might prove to not be worth their asking price after the next season or two play out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

This shouldn't be a question. We can and should keep both. This reminds me of our pre-game show constantly doing comparisons pitting our players against each other. We really don't understand how winning teams operate around here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

In his leaving interview it looked to me like money not team were his main priorities. I understand that but me personally only want players here who want to play for Washington. 

He wants to play for whoever pays him. Like every pro athlete.

If we didn't offer what we offered for Allen and McLaurin they'd have walked away too.

• Thumb up 2

It's unfortunate that Mathis got injured so early because I do think the front office has known for a couple seasons that it would be very hard to keep all 4 D-linemen here beyond their rookie contracts. 

It's not a fun situation to be in right now, but this is also what good teams do, they constantly are drafting players in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc rounds to develop quietly so that when the roster begins to turnover, they don't miss a beat.   

If Allen is going to continue to be the stud anchor in the middle, then having someone like Payne next to him is more a luxury than necessity, IMO.  Would I love to keep him? Hell yes, but I am not going to hinder the team's ability to upgrade 2-3 other positions in order to make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He wants to play for whoever pays him. Like every pro athlete.

If we didn't offer what we offered for Allen and McLaurin they'd have walked away too.

First of all, I enjoy reading your posts.  You really tell it like you see it, and it's great food for thought.

However, if Payne is looking for a contract at the level of McLaurin or Allen, he'd need to be the kind of team leader as those two are.  He's so talented, physical, durable and showed so much drive and follow-through during the 2022 season.  But outside of his bond with Allen, he doesn't seem to be the guy you'd want for team captain.  Rather, Payne's the kind of guy that a team captain is making sure gets fired up for the game and totally dedicated to bringing his best effort to the contest. Payne doesn't seem comfortable in one-on-ones with the media, much less giving a passionate motivating speech to all his team mates.

So Allen over Payne, but frankly -- if the contract is not ridiculous -- I'd keep them both.  I'd even consider the franchise tag to buy more time for the next owner and to see whether Mathis could be a decent replacement.

Edited by Wyvern

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I gotta be one of the biggest Payne fans on this board and have been preaching from the rooftops that he'd have this kind of year, but now I have a feeling that he's gonna Haynesworth someone. He is too money driven. If it was about glory and legacy, he's be about staying with Allen, but he's ready to retire. 

He'll be a 100 sack DT when his career is over I think, but we should let him walk. Can't believe I'm saying that.

They are all money driven...and they should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

In his leaving interview it looked to me like money not team were his main priorities. I understand that but me personally only want players here who want to play for Washington. 

Thats not really the way it works now, especially not for our franchise which is most renowned for bringing disgrace to the sport in recent times. The locker room is good now, they players like playing for Rivera. Not necessarily Washington.

I would throw money at Payne. We don’t have the luxury to let him walk for nothing. Tag and trade maybe if premium picks are on offer. Or just beat the competition with the best contract offer and keep our interior DL a roster strength.

9 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

They are all money driven...and they should be.

It's not that simple. When he gets asked where he wants to play and he says that he doesn't care as long as he gets as much money as he can, that is a lot different that guys like Terry and Allen. Money isn't everything. I get that there is a business side to this sport, but it's still a game they've devoted their lives to being the best at.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not that simple. When he gets asked where he wants to play and he says that he doesn't care as long as he gets as much money as he can, that is a lot different that guys like Terry and Allen. Money isn't everything. I get that there is a business side to this sport, but it's still a game they've devoted their lives to being the best at.

Or perhaps he's just being honest and those other guys (Terry,Allen) weren't.

Honestly, this organization is some ****.

I'd be eager to leave this mess unless they pay me a ton of money.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Or perhaps he's just being honest and those other guys (Terry,Allen) weren't.

Honestly, this organization is some ****.

I'd be eager to leave this mess unless they pay me a ton of money.

Sounds like the locker room is really strong and a lot of the players love being on this team. New owner coming has to be exciting, too.

I'm not saying that money shouldn't be prioritized, just that the "I only care about getting as much as I can" has big Al vibes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sounds like the locker room is really strong and a lot of the players love being on this team. New owner coming has to be exciting, too.

I'm not saying that money shouldn't be prioritized, just that the "I only care about getting as much as I can" has big Al vibes.

I get where you're coming from.

I'm just disillusioned with this entire situation.

Maybe I'll feel better once the new owner is in place.

• Like 1

Noting that Bmore didn’t wait to get Smith extended asap. Notice how much they win and we don’t. Every smart team finds a way to keep elite talent, meanwhile we’re always told there’s no way to put X $ at a position. It’s BS. Good teams (eagles, ravens) lock guys up ahead of schedule. We’re always 1 step behind. It puts us 2 steps behind competitive teams. They should be cutting Wentz and locking up Payne as we speak. Curl and Holcomb will be easier deals and lower franchise tags

43 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Noting that Bmore didn’t wait to get Smith extended asap. Notice how much they win and we don’t. Every smart team finds a way to keep elite talent, meanwhile we’re always told there’s no way to put X $ at a position. It’s BS. Good teams (eagles, ravens) lock guys up ahead of schedule. We’re always 1 step behind. It puts us 2 steps behind competitive teams. They should be cutting Wentz and locking up Payne as we speak. Curl and Holcomb will be easier deals and lower franchise tags

Lamar Jackson says hello.