Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen? You are the GM who do you keep?

Redskinscub

To me Payne has performed better this year. I'd love to have both but with the salary cap and knowing teams will go crazy in FA especially on a top tier DT like Payne hitting free agency...

Rather let him go and settle for the 3rd rd compensatory pick than using the tag when we know we can't sign him long term deal.

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

They are all money driven...and they should be.

And they all make money, but I have sacrificed money in my own career in an effort to be great amd I think a guy like Allen might too. 

At the end of the day the difference between $45mil and $60 mil isn't THAT much - plenty of NFL players choose a little less to try to capture greatness. 

I don't spurn the Kirk Cousins of the league for getting paid, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. 

• Like 1

Let me get this right, this thread is about which one they keep?  Isn't Allen already signed? 

Isn't this just another discussion about Payne?  Hasn't this been discussed (a lot) before?

OK - some simple things:

Don't franchise him - sign him or don't sign him

Do recognize that he has become a high level DT

Don't pay him Allen money - I have no problem if it is almost that level, but not that level

Do consider that maybe one of the reasons this has been a breakout year is that Sam Mills had been misusing him. 

Don't worry about the "paying both" - cap keeps going up

gene wilder thinking GIF

:229:The Rook

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 4

When we look at our D-line four first round picks.  As of today, right now, everything considered, do you have more faith in Allen/Payne anchoring the line for the next 5-8 seasons or Allen/Chase, Allen/Sweat?  

Allen is already locked in, and Payne has performed the second best, IMO.  So right now I think building the D-line from the inside out is the safest bet, however because of Chase's injury, it is hard to say how productive he can or can't be going forward.  Sweat I think is definitely the most expendable right now.  He isn't bad, but he hasn't been a game changer and if he wants to get paid like some of the premier DE's around the league, I don't see how you justify that kind of contract.

The caveat is that Payne's level of play definitely jumped a couple levels this season.  Is that him balling out for a contract, or an indication of the player he is going to be going forward? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

So, having a DL that averages somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 mil per year is just a dumb way to allocate resources. I've been harping on this for a couple of years that decisions needed to be made. One of them should have been dealt when their value was higher. But that boat has sailed. 

I would float all of their names out and see what I got offered. I wouldn't want to deal Allen, but he'd surely have the most value. And if I could re-sign Payne, Sweat seemed amenable to an extension and I got a great offerl for JA (much better than for the the others), I'd likely take it. 

Probably the ideal would be to get a good deal for Sweat and lock up Payne long-term. But I don't know how much Swaet would bring right now, so it'd be a wait and see thing. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1

Franchise Payne.

Right now, Chase is just a guy. Until he proves otherwise, you don't factor in signing him to a massive deal. Don't care about where he was drafted or his brand. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:43 PM, Redskinscub said:

Do you think having two talented defensive tackles are "heaven sent"? Let's see who remembers this phrase from Redskins history. 

some of you may remember this

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/07/27/heaven-sent-the-redskins-have-put-their-faith-in-pricey-saviors-dana-stubblefield-and-dan-wilkinson

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Its amazing to me that anyone would want to let a guy go who's peaking and only 25 years old and rarely misses games.

Because its arguably the easiest to scheme out of the game. Easy to run away from. Easy to quick pass to death outside. Get tired easily. 

Its just not a good roster building decision to pay 2 of the same position

18 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Payne or a stud LT/RT would be the better question. In all reality or at least mine.

But we already have Payne. Is there some elite LT/RT that we could get directly for Payne in a trade? I don't think so. In which case we'd be playing roulette trading a known for an unknown.

• Like 2