Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Washington Great Dave Butz passed away at age 72

DazedSkinsfan

RIP Mr. Butz

I don't remember it but my dad told me when the Redskins & Jets scrimmaged at Lafayette College in 1987 we got to meet him. He was super friendly & carried me around on his shoulders. I was 5 at the time, but every time I see highlights or is name anywhere I always think of this story.

HAIL

Edited by SS816Skins
  • Like 2

I like Dave Butz and I cannot lie!

Really, he was one of the players I really loved as a kid. Him and Riggo were the first memories I have of watching football. Sadly, his name is what drew my attention at first, but loved watching him play, as I did the rest of the players from that era. Madden had quite the affinity for him. A great Redskin and seems to have been a great guy. RIP #65

Edited by Busch1724
  • Thumb up 1

Damn.

One of the all-time greats and one of my favorites.

I had the privilege of meeting him, years ago, when he stopped by my work for a tour, (his nephew worked there at the time)  He was gracious and fun to talk to.  We mainly talked hunting and fishing.   He let me try on his Super Bowl  and NFC Championship rings, which was really cool.  Just an all-around cool customer and he was a beast on the field.

I always liked it when he walked off the field, after games, with his son holding his battle-scarred helmet.

So sad to see him gone...

20221104_130947.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Added pic
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I have vivid and fond memories of St Louis trying to run straight at him on 4th and 1 on more than one occasion. I cannot remember the exact circumstances but we stole him from St Louis. Madden loved his helmet. Edit: what fan of the game didn't.

I have an signed black and white team photo which i failed to find but did find this gem. .

111 Dave Butz Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty ImagesWhy Dave Butz Left The Cardinals | THE BIG RED ZONE

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

I was sitting on a plane flying back to Richmond in the '90s when I saw this huge Redskin Super Bowl ring the size of an egg on a hand the size of a catchers mitt resting on the headrest on the seat in front of me. I looked up & it was Dave Butz. He was flying to RVA to go to a duck carving event in Fredericksburg, VA. 

RIP Mr. Butz & thanks for all the memories. Peace & prayers to his family...

• Like 1

This is such sad news, it caught me totally off guard.

The list of comments here describing "Big Dave Butz" doesn't begin to tell the kind of man he was; he played the game exactly the way it was written in textbooks, and never ever ever took a single cheap shot or intentional late hit.

He loved sitting on his porch whittling, just enjoying the easy life, quiet and peaceful.

RIP Big Dave, the entire Redskins/WFT/Commander family lost a good man...

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

One of my all time Redskin heroes. I will always remember how announcers would regularly highlight the size of his helmet. 🙂

John Madden would always go on about how scratched up and dented Butz's helmet was on the top. Says it showed Butz was a true Redskin and would get in there and fight and scrap.

His young son at that time would carry his helmet off the field for him.

I believe George Allen used Butz as a fullback in his offense at times in the 1970s before William Perry got famous for doing that for the Bears.

RIP Mr. Butz, and thank you for all the great memories. :815:

s-l500.jpg

Edited by SkinsGuy