Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Washington Great Dave Butz passed away at age 72

DazedSkinsfan

There will never be another Dave Butz. He will always be one of my favorite Redskin players. One of the truly amazing things about his career is the fact that he missed four games in his entire 16-year career.  RIP and thank you for such wonderful memories.

• Like 1

Dan Snyder was a damned fool if he never attempted to get Big Dave to be at games help market this POS and honor him if nothing else. Dave probably politely told him no thanks son.

I hope I am not the only one that remembers the failures of his former team the Cards trying to go short yardage straight at him. Requisite F Conrad Dobler.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

This team HAD to be a trend setter in effectively utilizing 300 lineman. While I am sure there are tons of 300 pounder historically Butz Hogs era but I know exactly none.

I was looking at his Wikipedia page and I didn’t realize he was 6’8. He was a very big dude. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I was looking at his Wikipedia page and I didn’t realize he was 6’8. He was a very big dude. 

What! I thought he was 6'5 tapping into my 50 year old database. I'd bet he would tower over all modern day defenders at 6'8". And maybe all on offense as well.

• Like 1

Dave Butz's passing is a sobering reminder to me that I'm a Redskin fan first and foremost....and forever. Guys like #65 are the reason we hang in there and have hope for brighter days because he was one of the men who got it done. This re-brand is reality but the men who won our championships, great players like Dave Butz, is our history and our foundation. Dave Butz was a fixture on our championship teams and he was a true team leader based on the way he played the game every week. Sad day. RIP Redskins HOFer #65....thank you for the happiness you gave us all and condolences to your family, friends and teammates. 

• Like 3

The Wiki on Butz has a little more detail of his hospitalization (mentioned in the PFT piece linked above) during the 1987 season. Dude was a warrior:

In October 1987, Butz famously checked himself out of the hospital to play in the Redskins' game against the New York Jets. Despite having dropped from 313 to 287 pounds due to the illness and feeling dizzy in the second half, Butz made a game-saving sack of Ken O'Brien to stop a Jets' drive late in the game and was awarded the game ball. After the game, he checked himself back into the hospital where he remained until the following Wednesday.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 10:34 PM, BleedBNG said:

Butz would drive them to the game and the story is that they had this weird superstition.  If there was any roadkill on the route they were driving Butz would make sure to swerve to run it over. It was viewed as a good luck omen.  (No live animals. Only roadkill.)

His uncle was Earl Butz, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture under Nixon and Ford. 

• Like 1