Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, kwitt said:

If this happens quickly is there any possibility of losing "Commanders" name?  I am being serious.  The name has NOT been received well.  It would have been just one year and my guess is the new owner could make the switch.  I know Redskins isn't coming back but I think a LOT of us would be thrilled and even return to the fanbase if we simply go back to Washington Football Team or FC Washington.  Probably the only chance I come back.

After a change in ownership the new owner could change the name. That’s an exception to the rules for the number of years you have to maintain the same uniforms. 

The new owner is going to be instantly popular. A name change will probably erode that popularity because there is no name that will be popular with the fans. Can’t please everybody. So I’m not sure how willing the new owner would be to changing it. 

• Thumb up 1

Speaking of name changes:

Imagine if Dan and the heavily directed marketing team agreed to change the name to Red Wolves.

So much good well would have been achieved.

Dan may have been a little more persistent.

I guess the powers that be.....took Command!

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't have one.  I am watching NFL Network, its not something I pulled from twitter.  If you can put it on, NFL Network, wherever you are at, they've returned to the story already a couple of times, am sure they revisit it again soon.

Gah dont have NFLN

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

After a change in ownership the new owner could change the name. That’s an exception to the rules for the number of years you have to maintain the same uniforms. 

The new owner is going to be instantly popular. A name change will probably erode that popularity because there is no name that will be popular with the fans. Can’t please everybody. So I’m not sure how willing the new owner would be to changing it. 

Completely disagree that changing the name would be unpopular.   Do you seriously know anyone who likes the new name?  I do not.   It is universally panned in my circles.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, kwitt said:

Completely disagree that changing the name would be unpopular.   Do you seriously know anyone who likes the new name?  I do not.   It is universally panned in my circles.

The same number of people would dislike the replacement name. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The process:

1. Snyder sells team for record amount which is approved on or before the March league meeting.

2. The new owner meets with and fires Rivera and his entire staff.

3. The new owner hires a President of football operations and leaves him in complete control of the team.

4 . The new team president hires a General Manager and gives him full authority to hire a front office staff and new coach.

5. The new general manager begins interviewing head coach candidates and recieves a call from Sean Payton...

I don't think it plays out this way. I would bet that this is going to an auction with a couple rounds of bids. It's going to take rest of the calendar year for them to get the marketing and diligence materials ready for prospective buyers. They probably choose a buyer in Q1 and that buyer then closes the deal in Q2 or Q3. Means we are struck with Ron & co for one more year. This is similar to what happened when Tepper took over the Panthers.

I hope the league helps the new owner out and is able to work with the new owner to get a great GM in place and convince Payton to take the gig here when the time comes.

• Thumb up 1

If I were a betting man I would wager that the new owner will likely change the name for the following reasons:

1. The current name will forever be a reminder of the failed Snyder regime.

2. A new name is an investment in the future.

3. A name change will generate excitement energy and enthusiasm if managed properly.

4. A new name marks a demarcation point. A clear break with the past.

5. There are many far better names available, even if some may require a significant capital expenditure to secure.

6. Quite frankly both the name and the uniforms suck and very few fans like them so there's no downside to abandoning them.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If I were a betting man I would wager that the new owner will likely change the name for the following reasons:

1. The name will forever be a reminder of the failed Snyder regime.

2. A new name is an investment in the future.

3. A name change will generate excitement energy and enthusiasm if managed properly.

4. A new name marks a demarcation point. A clear break with the past.

5. There are many far better names available, even if some may require a significant capital expenditure to secure.

6. Quite frankly both the name and the uniforms suck and very few fans like them so there's no downside to abandoning them.

Make it red anything and bring back HTTR and you have me sold. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skins4eva said:

No it is one of the most prestigious in this particular area.  I know this because i work in NYC in this area of the law for a living.  And I also know that no minority owner would want to infuse cash into an enterprise where the previous owner has a 25 track record of running the asset into the ground and destroying value and simply write a check so that the same owner can continue running the asset into the ground and destroying value.  That's called throwing good money after bad money.

I'm also a lawyer that works in this area, so I guess we can agree to disagree.  In any event, in this case the franchise had a valuation of $750 million dollars when Snyder bought it and it now has a valuation of $5.6 billion according to Forbes.  So, not sure you can really say Snyder has "run[] the asset into the ground" and destroyed its value when the value has increased 750% while he's owned it.  That, of course, is in spite of Snyder's awful failings and simply reflects the dominance of the NFL and the strength of the DC Metro market (and inflation), but I can see a lot of rich MFers that want a piece of the NFL.  

• Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm also a lawyer that works in this area, so I guess we can agree to disagree.  In any event, in this case the franchise had a valuation of $750 million dollars when Snyder bought it and it now has a valuation of $5.6 billion according to Forbes.  So, not sure you can really say Snyder has "run[] the asset into the ground" and destroyed its value when the value has increased 750% while he's owned it.  That, of course, is in spite of Snyder's awful failings and simply reflects the dominance of the NFL and the strength of the DC Metro market (and inflation), but I can see a lot of rich MFers that want a piece of the NFL.  

Sure but a few things (all of which I’m sure you’re already aware of and considering):

- stadium issue

- attracting talent issue

- investigations (these stop once he’s gone…)

- track record of investment partners either kicking him out, or taking a loss (compared to valuation) to get out of a distressed asset

theyre having sponsorship issues. Attracting talented people at all levels is hard (they **** up everything because they’ve lost all institutional knowledge and can’t hire top quality people)

I think he’ll have a hard time getting minority investment in a broken money printing machine that he can’t fix

now…. A broken money printing machine that can be fixed… that’ll start a bidding war…

add:

any minority partner would have to be approved by the league. They could just say no…

Edited by tshile
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I got excited first and then I realized that nothing good ever happens to this cursed team. Our new owner will probably be San Dnyder.

That's an odd way to spell Elon Musk, but you may be right. At the very least, we'll have someone new to kvetch about.

2 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Snyder just setting up history's most painful Charlie Brown/Lucy football moment.

"Yeah I hired BofA. BofA deez nuts!!!"

Best use of that joke....EVAR!! Nicely done sir.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I’m all for running with this thing, and I am as elated as everyone else is.

But the timeline of how quickly a new owner is named and how fast they can fire Ron and hire a team prez is wild even for me. 

I expect Ron to steward this team for a season while the wrinkles get ironed out.  I gather you all are going to have to accept that.

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

Sure but a few things (all of which I’m sure you’re already aware of and considering):

- stadium issue

- attracting talent issue

- investigations (these stop once he’s gone…)

- track record of investment partners either kicking him out, or taking a loss (compared to valuation) to get out of a distressed asset

theyre having sponsorship issues. Attracting talented people at all levels is hard (they **** up everything because they’ve lost all institutional knowledge and can’t hire top quality people)

I think he’ll have a hard time getting minority investment in a broken money printing machine that he can’t fix

now…. A broken money printing machine that can be fixed… that’ll start a bidding war…

add:

any minority partner would have to be approved by the league. They could just say no…

All of that would be factored into the price for the stake.  Not saying it's for everyone, but there are plenty of rich guys who (1) have the ego to believe they can fix it and (2) even if they can't, this "broken money printing machine" still prints money, just not at the optimal level. Edit:  And it is still TOP 5 in revenue among NFL teams.  Not sure how anyone can call that broken. 

And I agree that any minority partner would have to be approved by the league, but I guess my thought is the league would only say no as a "**** you" to Snyder to put more pressure on him to sell, which I'd be in favor of. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

There is a lot of time left in the game; plus Snyder has his timeouts.  

I'm seeing people assuming it's a done deal, getting a name change and replacing the coaches.

Don't jinx this, people.  Keep the positive focus just on getting rid of that sob - the rest will come.  It's like assuming the game is a win, so you start wishing for other teams to win/lose and then ... WHAM!  :bill:

I've already lived through one Clint Longley celebration destruction. ;)

:229:The Rook

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

As soon as kids playing Cowboys and Commanders becomes a thing, the rivalry will renew, but the cowboys and indian vibes are dead. 

Hmm. So a name reflecting a different nemesis for cowboys….

How about the Dallas Cowboys vs. the Washington Saddle Sores?

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Bring onnnnn, Elon Musk!

Won't happen, he has gone on record saying that he's interested in Manchester United.  But I don't recall hearing anything about him being interested in an NFL franchise.  My guess is Jeff Bezos would be our next owner if they really go through selling the team. 

Hell, I'd be happy with Dan just selling enough shares of the team to give a new owner the majority vote and keep minority shares (him and Tonya) and just sail away on his super yacht forever.

41 minutes ago, kwitt said:

What makes you think a new name would be received and better by fans? (and I’ve seen fans on Twitter who do like the name)…