Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I don't think any of these candidates are perfect.  Neither are any of the other existing NFL owners.  It'd be great if a new owner is awesome, but nothing is guaranteed.

Regardless, any new owner will give me the feeling that the team finally at least has a chance, which I haven't felt in a long time under Snyder.  I feel like your point is valid, but I don't want to diminish the fan base's understandable (and reasonable) optimism.

I completely agree but dismissing anything negative about Harris as agenda based and posting puff pieces about the dude and his little hockey team starts getting a little cultish and invites counterpoints to the puffery. We can all be happy Dan is leaving. We don’t need to pretend the new guy is perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said this many times here, and I have taken arrows from the Bezos is God groupies here. :ols:   Bezos reputation wise is known for his volatile as heck personality.  Over the top volatility.  I recall one dude talk about being afraid to present something at a forum where Bezos was attending because Bezos might undress him publicly if he disagreed with him.   

The main defense I get back here about Bezos' personality is apparently every dude who is a biillionaire is a carbon copy of Bezos' personality -- but obviously that's not true.  Bezos is singled out for specific reasons.  

I'll be more than cool with Bezos as an owner because of his immense wealth.  But if he buys the team I would actually hope he's an absentee owner.   I don't get the impression that the dude would be good for the morale in the building based on the stories I've read.

I don't think anyone claims that every billionaire is like Bezos, but every billionaire has skeletons in the closet. It's the only way to become a billionaire. Bezos is one of the richest persons in the world, associated with a brand everyone knows and a company almost everyone interacts with. His companies employ more than a million people. Of course there will be more stories out there about such a person than about people that are in that single digit bn region with mostly B2B businesses or hedge funds.

It's not to say that there aren't billionaires who are worse persons and billionaires who are better persons. But I find it a bit amusing how Josh Harris has become the saint of the board somehow when he is sued by his co-founder for "conspiring to destroy him" and he is known as an extreme micro-manager whose personality is described as "intense and aggressive" according to the Wallstreet Journal. And of course that's the case. He is a billionaire that succeded in an immensely competitive environment. I don't think people will be all chills when they have an important internal presentation in front of him either. You will find people that will tell you how ****ty of a person Harris is and some others will tell you how much they appreciate Bezos and vice versa.  But both are capable business owners who have a history of successful ventures.

Personally, I think both Bezos and Harris both have their advantages and disadvantages but will both be adequate owners for different reasons. I am slightly leaning Bezos because I feel this team needs someone who is willing to invest serious $ as soon as possible to make up for decades of underinvestment and also someone who takes a modern and data-driven approach and that sounds more like Bezos than Harris to me. But at the end of the day, both are billionaires and as such both have inherent character flaws. This is something we have to accept as NFL fans. There will not be an owner that I will be "proud" of but that's also not what I am looking for. Just build a winner with a somewhat decent work culture. I think both of them can achieve that here.

Very generally though: Let's hope this discussion is over soon.

Edited by Panninho
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Thanks, @Skinsinparadise ! You've been really consistent with this throughout the sale process since his name has come up, I genuinely appreciate that.

I think what we're forgetting is that Jay-Z and Matthew McConaughey may be a part of it and that just would be such an awesome trio. Different perspectives from three people really good at what they do.

Unless that got nixed and I just missed it.

I haven't heard since that inital report that Jay-Z, McConaughey will be part of it.  But agree if they are, it would be cool.  If I knew that was a certainty Bezos would be elevated to me some more.

My level of excitment for Bezos would be 9 out of 10.  Harris 9.5 out of 10.

I am just apparently a pain in the ass for anyone pushing Bezos as the be all and end all.    And I am not being a pain in the ass just to be one -- its that I've watched CNBC for almost 20 years and Bezos wasn't exactly a low profile figure.    His personality was mentioned again and again and again.   And no that wasn't because his personality was a perfect example of name that successful CEO-entrepeneur.   

And i am about as PTS as it gets when it comes to A-holes who rule their buildings by fear being both a long-time Redskins fans and Yankees fan -- its the one trait that Danny had in common with Steinbrenner.  And Bezos over the years was described certainly as a smart-successful guy but his personality as to how it was described always felt very Steinnbrenner to me.  That's my red flag. 

As for a business owner, being frugal is part of the Amazon work ethos as i posted here.  But to counter that his obsession is "customer first." which is perfect for this.

So I do dig Bezos but no I am not glossing over some of what i deem to be his baggage -- and probably being both a Yankee and Commanders fans has a lot to do with it.  I hate that component in an owners personality.  but I do dig most everything else about Bezos.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I completely agree but dismissing anything negative about Harris as agenda based and posting puff pieces about the dude and his little hockey team starts getting a little cultish and invites counterpoints to the puffery. We can all be happy Dan is leaving. We don’t need to pretend the new guy is perfect. 

He owns the New Jersey Devils, not some minor league team 

• Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, max21 said:

He owns the New Jersey Devils, not some minor league team 

Any hockey team is a little hockey team when comparing it to a NFL team. Come on man. A few Canadian immigrants watch the little figure skaters play soccer on the ice. It’s cute but it’s not the NFL. 

• Haha 6
  • Thumb down 1

A little 80's movie quote for the group here...

Harris? Harris? Harris? 

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw HARRIS NOT TIP at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Edited by HIYA_Beach_Warpath

2 minutes ago, HIYA_Beach_Warpath said:

A little 80's movie quote for the group here...

Harris? Harris? Harris? 

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw HARRIS NOT TIPS at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Thank you, Simone.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Any hockey team is a little hockey team when comparing it to a NFL team. Come on man. A few Canadian immigrants watch the little figure skaters play soccer on the ice. It’s cute but it’s not the NFL. 

I'm here for the Harris news, a few laughs and some hockey slander.  

This thread ****ing delivers.

FYI, Simone is played by future Buffy the Vampire Slayer cutie Kristy Swanson.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I don't think anyone claims that every billionaire is like Bezos, but every billionaire has skeletons in the closet. It's the only way to become a billionaire. Bezos is one of the richest persons in the world, associated with a brand everyone knows and a company almost everyone interacts with. His companies employ more than a million people. Of course there will be more stories out there about such a person than about people that are in that single digit bn region with mostly B2B businesses or hedge funds.

I deal with a lot of miillionaries (granted not billionaires but some in the hundreds of millions). Yes they are aggressive and go getters.  In the process of chasing what they want, they've all made enemies.  Agree.  And I've stated that point here before.

My job is unique in that i have give or take 30 different bosses a year at the same time so am exposed to all types.  Most of these people are very successful and very wealthy at least by our standards.

But personality is personality.

Some of these people are super nice to work for, some are "meh" but OK enough, and some you can't stand and you end up either quitting or grinning and bearing through the experience and won't work with that person again.

I think most of us can relate to this even in our own worlds even if we aren't biillionaries.  in my business, i am aggressive, i have to be to chase down clients.  I'll make enemies in the process because I''ve beaten someone else to a job and they won't like me for it, or i have to sell why I can bring more to the table than my competitors, my competitors won't like me for that.  Some would say i am a jerk and trash me.  Most don't.  On the aggregate my reputation as a person is pretty good or at least I believe it is among my peers.  :ols: Because while I am aggressive in chasing work, i don't treat my co-workers or employees like crap.   

It's not to say that there aren't billionaires who are worse persons and billionaires who are better persons. But I find it a bit amusing how Josh Harris has become the saint of the board somehow when he is sued by his co-founder for "conspiring to destroy him" and he is known as an extreme micro-manager whose personality is described as "intense and aggressive" according to the Wallstreet Journal. And of course that's the case. He is a billionaire that succeded in an immensely competitive environment. I don't think people will be all chills when they have an important internal presentation in front of him either. You will find people that will tell you how ****ty of a person Harris is and some others will tell you how much they appreciate Bezos and vice versa.  But both are capable business owners who have a history of successful ventures.

He's not a saint to me.  No one is.  But I've liked more of what I've digested than not.   But again we are all different and want different things.  It's all cool.  For me personally, these two things stood out to me.

A.  Most (but not all) of those who covered him said he's a really good owner for multiple reasons which they explained.

B.  As a personality, i've mostly liked his profile.  At a minimum he doesn't come off to me like a Steinbrenner.

I am not saying I am right or wrong.  It's just what floats my boat.  Everything being equal, I'd love one with a good track record and experience running a sports team. And I don't want a yeller-screamer who rules by fear which Bezos has that rep for. 

Now if I thought he'd be in the building and a hands on owner, he'd be completely out for me.  But I suspect he will be hands off.  You figure he has better things to do with his time than run a football team.

Personally, I think both Bezos and Harris both have their advantages and disadvantages but will both be adequate owners for different reasons.

Agree.

But at the end of the day, both are billionaires and as such both have inherent character flaws.

I think aggressive in business and someone being a douche in the work force are two entirely different points.

You have character flaws.  I have character flaws.  Everybody does regardless of wealth.  And I actually got no issue with Bezos being aggressive and ruthless in business -- I actually like that.  What I don't like is what i hear about his personality and how he treats people who work for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

That hit diff

If that came from some rando I'd just shrug it off as "yeah, duh"

The fact that his came from a reporter sends a bit of shiver down my spine that there is a twinge of foundation to it (by which I mean she is not saying it to say it but rather cuz she feels tremors) and that would have some pretty major ramifications very quickly.

Furthermore it ties into my idea that as it stands a new owner can't come in and do nothing. Some point of this org, or multiple points are gonna need a jolt/shakeup/splash Year 1.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I get the point.  I think if this was the 2022 off season, they might have chased Lamar. 

But if feels like Rivera has fallen love with the idea of trying the cheap young QB with upside, Eagles style, and build the roster around them.

A new owner though might have a different take.  Sean Payton was clearly on the radar of one of the new prospective owners and that might have been Harris.

A new owner might want to make a bold move.

The issue with Lamar IMO is his durability -- questionable durability and a fully guaranteed contract isn't a great marriage as to contracts.

54 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is rich coming from a guy who has convinced himself that Bezos is a good dude who would merely steward the franchise out of goodwill, gladly spend billions of dollars to rehab it, and not be concerned with making money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

New Finlay podcast:

A. Most likely to be officially announced by the owners meeting (or the following week if necessary)

B. Still thinks it's Harris 

I'm speculating that the news he got this weekend was that a bid has been accepted and that Snyders lawyers are going over the offer to ok it. Probably didn't get told who was the winning bidder.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is rich coming from a guy who has convinced himself that Bezos is a good dude who would merely steward the franchise out of goodwill, gladly spend billions of dollars to rehab it, and not be concerned with making money.

It’s chump change to him. He doesn’t need this pittance of dollars the team makes. He also doesn’t need to beg others to join his group to buy the team. If you can’t buy the whole thing yourself maybe you shouldn’t own it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well crap. There it is. It's gonna be Bezos.

You know what man, I've been told to be quiet and sit down a few times at redskins games, by redskins fans. That's why there is always so many opposing fans in our house. Because Washington has the **** **** whine and cheese fans. Sure Philly fans are bat**** passionate about their home town sports and get pretty carried away, but its great having fans of other teams fear for their life and not return.

**** that sit down and be quiet bull****. Make some mother****ing noise for your team on defense and make sure nobody makes a sound on offense.

I dunno. I kinda like being able to take my 9 and 5 year old daughters to games and not have to explain to them what a "mother****ing cum-guzzling gutter slut is." Or why someone was getting **** beat out of him by four other people for wearing a jersey.

Different of opinion, I guess.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

It’s chump change to him. He doesn’t need this pittance of dollars the team makes. He also doesn’t need to beg others to join his group to buy the team. If you can’t buy the whole thing yourself maybe you shouldn’t own it? 

As if rich people aren’t often times cheap.  There are plenty of bits about Bezos being cheap and proud of it.

• Thanks 1