Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Seems like they use a fullback quite a bit in KC run game.  Do we bring in a FB this offseason?  Do we have one on the roster currently?

Pumped to see the FB back. They had Alex Armah on PS the past couple seasons and he was called up here and there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Seems like they use a fullback quite a bit in KC run game.  Do we bring in a FB this offseason?  Do we have one on the roster currently?

Kind of hard to say what EB will do with scheme but one would think its an option...

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/4/6/22368384/the-art-of-the-lead-block-as-explained-by-new-chiefs-fullback-michael-burton

In modern football, playing fullback is a lost art. The skillset it requires used to personify the sport. Now, fullbacks are on the field only for short-yardage offensive situations and special teams plays.

These days, there’s only a handful of NFL teams that even roster a fullback — let alone use one in a significant capacity. The Kansas City Chiefs are one that still does — as its signing of veteran Michael Burton has proved. They didn’t want to replace now-retired Anthony Sherman with an undrafted free agent or inexperienced player. Instead, they made sure to secure a fullback with NFL experience.

“Scheme-wise, Coach Reid has always carried a fullback — even since his days in Philadelphia,” Burton recalled during his introductory press conference on Monday. “He’s always had one, evidenced by Anthony Sherman being here eight years in a row. Between the opportunity of being with a winning organization and the scheme fit, I thought this was a really good opportunity for me.”

You think of the traditional fullback as a simple, hard-nosed player whose only objective — one way or another — is to hit a defender as hard as they can. But as Burton laid it out, there’s more to it than that: there are different lead blocking techniques for the styles used by different running backs.

“I blocked for Adrian Peterson in Washington,” Burton explained. “He was a guy that wanted to get downhill quick, so you needed to make sure you got out of your stance and you were exploding through — more so than some other running backs. [Alvin Kamara] was patient. It’s just having a sense of what scheme and what they like to do — but overall, you have to get on your guy... [Peterson] will say sometimes, ‘Hey, don’t stop your feet. Just go’ — whereas there may be more reading with more patient backs and setting things up with your eyes.”

Edited by HigSkin

39 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I am not sure how successful or unsuccessful EB will be as our play-caller.  I do recall when Scott Turner was hired that I was against hiring him from Day 1. 

I am sure Snyder liked the fact that EB's contract with the Chiefs was over.  How many coaches will the owner be willing to add that EB wants to bring to Washington?

I did read that EB was the coach who caught on tape the fact that the Eagles defense could not cover the play they ran twice for touchdowns when the running backs walked

into the end zone untouched by Eagle defenders.  (USA Today article)

You sound cautiously optimistic.  The maddening thing about Turner was that he would have NO success on a play, and not only would he go back to it, sometimes he would go back to it on the very next play.  Yet with EB he saw the Eagles were not covering again a play that they had just run for a TD. I was surprised how open the guy was  the first time. but since the Eagles were in the same exact coverage, the guy was wide open again on the other side.  We desperately need an OC that recognizes coverages, and can adjust. So I am okay with EB hiring and I hope he is fantastic. We have very talented receivers, and he knows how to use talented receivers. 

• Like 2

I have no idea how successful EB will be here but I am excited about the hire for two reasons albeit they are higher level and trivial. 1.  We did not promote someone on the existing staff to this position who have participated in executing an awful offense over a number of years.  2.  The hire is not a RR retread from his days in Carolina.  For those two reasons alone we should be excited about the possibilities that a fresh and new set of eyes and ideas will bring.  

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I like EB on paper, but I'm hardly educated on how he will improve this team outside of what articles tell me.  I think there is very good reason to believe he will be a good hire.

I'll get slightly more excited when we add some solid OL.

Synder is still the domino to really get excited and feel good about the offseason.  So good hire, but excitement pending.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

The QB is the most important piece of this hiring.  We have no idea how Sam Howell will do next season, since he’s had only one start in his NFL career to date.  He’s essentially a rookie next season.  He’s going to have ups and downs (if he’s indeed the starter next year).  7-10 or 8-9 with a rookie QB feels a lot better than the same record with a backup QB, or a washed up QB (Wentz).  I don’t have much expectations for next season.  We’re solidly a 3rd or 4th place team in the NFCE.  It’ going to be very difficult to surpass the Eagles & Cowboys.  If Howell shows improvement, but we miss the playoffs, it won’t be a big deal to me.  All I want to see is improved play on offense.

Expect anything more than 9-8, 8-9, 7-10 with Howell is foolish.  9-8 would mean Sam was really balling it and might get you the 7th or 6th seed.

All you can realistically expect is a much better offense. Best case Sam shows you enough that he enters 24, as qb1. EB improves the offense that it earns him a head coaching job with either us or elsewhere.

At the moment we assume Sam is qb1 but if by chance we do get a new owner by start of owners meeting on 3/26; what we do in the rest of free agency and draft is unknown. The new owner may want us to draft a qb.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep no Bruce love, sorry, for how he handled this team and for that matter FA.  Nada.  Zero.  I wrote tomes about it on the previous FO thread including about FO.  And I argued enough so if the arguments don't hit you with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think they ever will. 

Bruce had a ton of faults, but he did clean up the bad contracts and for the first time the team started to build through the draft. 

He oversaw a personnel department that brought us Terry, Jon Allen, Payne, and Sweat. There’s no denying those are some of the best homegrown players we’ve drafted/developed in Snyders tenure.

Vinny and Bruce were both bad at the end of the day, but to label Bruce boring as the reason why we sucked is just a weird take imo. For years fans wanted to do what Bruce finally instilled and was a major criticsm against Snyder. Boring is what some of the best franchises around the league are. Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Packers, etc are all examples of teams that are relatively boring when it comes to team building. Some teams like the Eagles and Rams a couple years back were far more aggressive and it worked out. But that’s not the only way or path to a Super Bowl.

The 4 players I mentioned above are the core of a team that I finally believe is talented enough to compete and become a contender. I’m glad Bruce is gone and he screwed a few situations up royally, but if you can’t appreciate what he left behind so to speak then agree to disagree. We have a ton of financial flexibility and a homegrown roster, and he kicked that process off for us or at least oversaw the coaches and FO that did. No more trading a 2nd for Jason Taylor or a 3rd for TJ Duckett.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah that was on here re Roman and needing to interview, in contrast to the guy Arizona fired who then just jetted off to the Far East or something. 

Kliff actually also had to come crawling back for an interview in HOU for their OC job in order to keep the guarantees in his contract. All guaranteed coaches contracts have it built in that they must reasonably pursue other employment to keep their guarantees. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Expect anything more than 9-8, 8-9, 7-10 with Howell is foolish.  9-8 would mean Sam was really balling it and might get you the 7th or 6th seed.

All you can realistically expect is a much better offense. Best case Sam shows you enough that he enters 24, as qb1. EB improves the offense that it earns him a head coaching job with either us or elsewhere.

With the 3rd ranked defense and a putrid offense we went 8-8-1.

how can you say that we can realistically expect a much better offense but best case scenario is a half game improvement?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The truth is, most (not all…so chill out 😆) of the posters who are “meh” or don’t like this hire, also choose contrarian viewpoints in most other threads here on ES. 

Trolls gonna troll. 

It’s a sad day for the Rivera haters. A sad day indeed. 😆

Is ‘meh’ contrarian? I’d say middle of the road. I am personally on board with the move, but I do see plenty of valid reasons being posted for the meh attitude. You seem to be saying if your not fully supporting the popular opinion you are a troll. I can’t agree with that. Refute the points if you don’t agree, but just calling people trolls and haters doesn’t add much. 

37 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Is ‘meh’ contrarian? I’d say middle of the road. I am personally on board with the move, but I do see plenty of valid reasons being posted for the meh attitude. You seem to be saying if your not fully supporting the popular opinion you are a troll. I can’t agree with that. Refute the points if you don’t agree, but just calling people trolls and haters doesn’t add much. 

I get your paint and that’s why I said “most not all”. There are some that post negative/minority views in every single thread on ES. 

In a vacuum, I think being “meh” on this hire is a contrarian view. I think it is more related to “kicked dog” syndrome than anything football related. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

In a vacuum, I think being “meh” on this hire is a contrarian view.

Being the only org to actually hire him outside of Andy Reid is contrarian?

no idea how he’ll do but I know we don’t have a good record when bucking the league on things. Not do we have a good record with assets Reid is willing to let go of. 

The whole “bucking the league” narrative is asinine.  This only makes sense if he was being hired as a head coach, which he’s not.

As for it being meh, I’m not real sure what more you could ask for.  Who exactly is a non-meh hire for what is likely a lame duck head coach and a late round QB with 1 game of experience?

I don’t even see how this could blow up in the teams face.  There’s literally nothing to lose.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The Acho clip was such trash.  Yeah, stay where you are and sue the NFL for collusion because that's always a good idea.  

He’s a clown. Very purposely making himself the controversy-magnet lovechild of Stephen A and Jason Whitlock, in all the worst ways. He loses more respect among his peers every year. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Why don't you think it will work out?

This wasn't to me, but it might be possible that the fact that everything since hiring Ritchie Pettibone as HC over 30 years ago has not worked out.

If Norv Turner coming off 2 SB wins didn't work, Gibbs 2.0 didn't work out, Shanahan didn't work even though he had like 5 future HC's on staff, among all of the other failures, why should anybody expect this one to work? Odds are very steep against it working out even without all that above crap. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Regardless of if he works or not, he is coming off of MULTIPLE SUPER BOWLS. He has coached an all-time great. He has been surrounded and watching Andy Reid for years. 

Being cautiously optimistic is understandable. But outright dismissing the hire is really weird. 

I'm not totally dismissing the hire but coaching a pile of great players and situating yourself among great coaches didn't do much for Norv Turner once he stepped out of Dallas. Same with every other coach who has doomed themselves to coaching in Washington over the past 30 years.

I'm not even saying it's a bad hire. It's just not as good a hire at this time as hiring Norv was in 1993, or Ray Rhodes as DC, or Marvin Lewis as DC, or Al Saunders and his 600 page playbook, etc. etc. 

He might be good, it might not even matter here if he is or not. It hasn't for anybody else literally for over 30 years!

50 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As for it being meh, I’m not real sure what more you could ask for.  Who exactly is a non-meh hire for what is likely a lame duck head coach and a late round QB with 1 game of experience?

I don’t even see how this could blow up in the teams face.  There’s literally nothing to lose.

Yeah, anything they did I'd be here shooting it down, haha.

IMO he probably has a lot better chance than Scott Turner but watch the offense be good and the defense fall apart next year. It's just how it works in DC. Wile E Coyote still owns the team after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The truth is, most (not all…so chill out 😆) of the posters who are “meh” or don’t like this hire, also choose contrarian viewpoints in most other threads here on ES. 

True. But we're almost always correct. :cheers:

And actually, I'm not so sure that this is a bad move, but it's hard to get behind anything they've done for decades. I stopped getting excited for things this team did around the end of Gibbs 2.0. I was also totally negative during most of Norv and Spurrier years so it's been a long long time. I was all for the Schottenheimer and Gibbs hires and not much else actually. 

• Like 1

On paper, we are really lucky to have Bieniemy. He is by far the most decorated and qualified coach out there--and is miles better that Scott Turner. He was the best candidate.

But here is my PTDSISD kicking it--and it has absolutely nothing to do with Bieniemy: He's has been passed over by how many teams? Why? What do they know that we don't? Since when is this organization smarter than the rest of the league? Or did we just get incredibly lucky?