Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I heard its also sort of an RG3-Kirk situation -- Mahomes can't deal with Buechele on the same team, job security issues, etc.

Wonderful story.  When the press conference happens we will know more. I was so hoping for this to become official so we could celebrate.  Great day to be a fan!  

• Like 2

I sure hope we buck recent history and modernize the offense and use plays from the Andy Reid playbook.  It still boggles my mind that we never implemented hurry up proper despite the best teams utilizing it 20 years ago. Its largely come and gone at this point. I remember Brady one time in hurry up passed 10+ times in a row. We wouldn't dare pass 3 times in a row unless we were losing 3 scores with 6 left and the announcer saying we better get moving.

I wonder if we’re going to get a controversy where EB will be on game days, sideline or booth.  Remember when that was a storyline last season?  “If we move Scott to the sideline he will call plays better. Wait that didn’t work.  Maybe if he moves up to the box, he’ll call plays better. Wait. That didn’t work.  You’re fired.  That worked.”

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

Dare I say… Washington was a “destination spot” for EB? 

For specific reasons -- context including it was the one offer.   What makes it so wild is how unusual and unexpected it was versus here comes another top assistant coach and this is where Brady, Aaron Rodgers or name that star would kill to play for.

I'd dare you to start a thread pushing your point this is one of the leagues top desired places that players and coaches want to go to in the league.  And see how many agree with you?  ;)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35657821/derek-carr-best-fits-free-agency-nfl-teams-quarterback-needs-salary-cap-space

Washington Commanders

And I don't know... maybe things will change if the team gets sold, but there's something about this franchise. It just seems like bad stuff is always going on around there. Just kind of a high "ick" factor to the place, right? Not sure a ton of guys are dying to go play there.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

This is one of the best moves that Ron Rivera has made period.  We headed into this offseason needing to accomplish four major things:

1 - Upgrade our offensive coaching - done

2 - Upgrade our offensive line - hopefully done via draft

3 - Pick a direction at QB - seem to have done so with Howell

4 - Get DaRon extended and prevent the D from falling off - should at least be able to tag

Firing Scott Turner and getting a better OC was our biggest team need.  And we seem to have replaced him with the best coach out there on the market.  It's a promising start to a really big offseason for us.  Ron and the Martys are building a quality football machine here, and making the case to new ownership that we should keep this thing going.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

Dare I say… Washington was a “destination spot” for EB? 

In a really unique and almost unprecedented situation for Bienemy, Rivera’s relationship with Reid helped us grab a desperate/ambitious guy with the ultimate chip on his shoulder, sure. I wouldn’t take this as some victory in your “Snyder can still hire anyone he wants” crusade, though. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For specific reasons -- context including it was the one offer.   What makes it so wild is how unusual and unexpected it was versus here comes another top assistant coach and this is where Brady, Aaron Rodgers or name that star would kill to play for.

I'd dare you to start a thread pushing your point this is one of the leagues top desired places that players and coaches want to go to in the league.  And see how many agree with you?  ;)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35657821/derek-carr-best-fits-free-agency-nfl-teams-quarterback-needs-salary-cap-space

Washington Commanders

And I don't know... maybe things will change if the team gets sold, but there's something about this franchise. It just seems like bad stuff is always going on around there. Just kind of a high "ick" factor to the place, right? Not sure a ton of guys are dying to go play there.

No no… I don’t think it’s a destination spot. They will not get the discounted veteran looking to win a SB.

EB got money and power. 

I hear so much talk on the shows that an offensive head coach is the big thing necessary for regular season division winner and into the playoffs a good ways. Since Rivera is a defensive coach, we needed a really strong OC who will drive the offense and let the HC control the game. I think hiring Eric solves this problem as long as he has the keys to the offense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wonder if we’re going to get a controversy where EB will be on game days, sideline or booth.  Remember when that was a storyline last season?  “If we move Scott to the sideline he will call plays better. Wait that didn’t work.  Maybe if he moves up to the box, he’ll call plays better. Wait. That didn’t work.  You’re fired.  That worked.”

He’s experienced, he’ll know where he wants to be. He’s a sideline guy, likes to communicate with his players face to face and motivate. Turner was quiet as a mouse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

In a really unique and almost unprecedented situation for Bienemy, Rivera’s relationship with Reid helped us grab a desperate/ambitious guy with the ultimate chip on his shoulder, sure. I wouldn’t take this as some victory in your “Snyder can still hire anyone he wants” crusade, though. 

Brotherhood certainly matter, but if it didn’t come with title, money, and power he wouldn’t be here. 

Baltimore would laugh at his demands. This is what people miss (IMO) relating to organizations with a strong culture and philosophy that extends beyond the coach and GM. 

3 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Unless the new owner elevates Bienemy to HC 

Yeah. I can see it now. We struggle early on as Sam or whoever is our qb has ups and downs and we start out slow, as usual. Ron gets fired and EB is promoted as interim coach. EB turns things around and we have a good finish. He does well enough that the new owner/Gm decides to roll with EB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Good hire IMO. Probably the best we could have made given the circumstances.

Be interesting to see what happens with the staff under him now.

Agreed and I expect at the very least 1/3 of the O staff to change if not more.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

How much time do you think was spent with Snyder, he can careless lol

Excited for the hire. What do you think of it?

Edited by wit33

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

No no… I don’t think it’s a destination spot. They will not get the discounted veteran looking to win a SB.

EB got money and power. 

I thought your argument on the QB thread was that this is one of the top places in the NFL that top players and top coaches want to be.  As you said on this thread, this is a destination spot?  

Can't wait to see EB hit the ground running with Howell if they do decide to go with him as QB1.  Also excited about how much more successful Terry and BRob can be in EB's offense.  Only thing missing is a big TE.  They're also going to have address the OL in the draft/FA for this offense to run at maximum efficiency.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Agreed and I expect at the very least 1/3 of the O staff to change if not more.  

Who really knows what's going on, but mass turnover isn't my sense of what's happening here.  It feels like the culture is actually pretty good now, the coaching staff has a pretty good collaboration going on, and we just wanted to make a very targeted and specific upgrade to the offensive staff.  I'd be a little surprised if a bunch of other guys to get fired.  Bieniemy should be able to bring in other coaches he likes working with, but we already have some solid offensive coaches on our staff.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I sure hope we buck recent history and modernize the offense and use plays from the Andy Reid playbook.  It still boggles my mind that we never implemented hurry up proper despite the best teams utilizing it 20 years ago. Its largely come and gone at this point. I remember Brady one time in hurry up passed 10+ times in a row. We wouldn't dare pass 3 times in a row unless we were losing 3 scores with 6 left and the announcer saying we better get moving.

I can’t imagine he took this job without absolute 100% control. That being said he’s going to want to show off creativity and efficiency. Meaning he will do everything he can to set the trends, not be 20 years late on them. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Brotherhood certainly matter, but if it didn’t come with title, money, and power he wouldn’t be here. 

Baltimore would laugh at his demands. This is what people miss (IMO) relating to organizations with a strong culture and philosophy that extends beyond the coach and GM. 

I don’t think anyone missed that at all. 

And what “demands”? To hire his own staff and call the plays? lol that’s very standard. The Asst HC title and duties is what closed the deal, and I’d argue very strongly that Rivera needs that help and Bienemy is deserving of the opportunity to see if he’s good at it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Who really knows what's going on, but mass turnover isn't my sense of what's happening here.  It feels like the culture is actually pretty good now, the coaching staff has a pretty good collaboration going on, and we just wanted to make a very targeted and specific upgrade to the offensive staff.  I'd be a little surprised if a bunch of other guys to get fired.  Bieniemy should be able to bring in other coaches he likes working with, but we already have some solid offensive coaches on our staff.

He has his own system he's learned over the years.  Let's see who Bienemy brings in.  Those who fit and he knows will be hired, I would think.  Sure some of the current staff will stay but let's see how many he replaces.  I guesstimated 1/3rd of the O staff.  That is all.  :)

Just now, Conn said:

I don’t think anyone missed that at all. 

And what “demands”? To hire his own staff and call the plays? lol that’s very standard. The Asst HC title and duties is what closed the deal, and I’d argue very strongly that Rivera needs that help and Bienemy is deserving of the opportunity to see if he’s good at it. 

Agree.  I'd add Baltimore pays top dollar to their assistants.  3.5 million for Roman, I was floored to hear that, at one point in time, not that long ago, that's what head coaches were getting paid.

• Like 1