Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Who is falling in love with any of these rejected, second rate coordinators? I think people are purely trying to decide on who the best case scenario might be—in a potential lame duck year for the coaching staff—during an ownership change. We’re talking damage mitigation in a unique situation. Not dream coordinators. 

Ok, ok. I just know how things can get around here when we're in "hope" mode. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Conn said:

Who is falling in love with any of these rejected, second rate coordinators? I think people are purely trying to decide on who the best case scenario might be—in a potential lame duck year for the coaching staff—during an ownership change. We’re talking damage mitigation in a unique situation. Not dream coordinators. 

I hear you, man. I have to stay off Facebook because of all the idiotic posts on the Redskins facebook pages. They're annointing Howell as the next franchise QB despite the fact he's only thrown 19 passes in an NFL game, and saying the team shouldn't pursue any other QBs. Some of them are just throwing out the names of any and all offensive coordinators in posts saying "Byron Leftwich, anyone?" I guess these are the members of the fanbase Kevin Sheehan is talking about when he complains how dumbed down fans have gotten in DC.  

If roman helps qbs adjust to the nfl as well as what ive been reading then i think we should hire him. New ownership will likely fire everyone anyways and if Sam performs well hopefully he can take the next step with a new OC as everyone is saying with Lamar right now. 

16 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Interesting clip that illustrates "sequential" or "connected" play calling, Criticism we've heard about Scott Turner was that either he didn't do this or didn't do enough of it to be effective.

These are examples within one series of downs.  It seems you could also think longer term and set things up throughout the first half for a crucial point later in a game.

That's a great video. He'll get  a HC job this offseason or stay in Detroit. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a great video. He'll get  a HC job this offseason or stay in Detroit. 

He has already said he is staying in Detroit for 2023. Definitely my top candidate when the new owner clears house this offseason

14 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

I'd never heard Richard Sherman speak, let alone analyze anything.  Dude is insightful, articulate, and dynamic.  Has he ever had a desire to coach?

He is a Stanford grad

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like they are casting a wide net and there is a lot of interest. At least in terms of interest the impending salle is not scarring too many people off. 

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You know in the end, Ron’s just going to promote Zampese. Only one who will take the job for a lame duck.

Think there are 10 oc openings right now, half are due to head coach being fired. We are probably near the bottom.

We could do worse than Ken Zampese, but in reality most of these candidates would not even be interviewing if what you say is true. I get it's popular to trash Ron at every possible opportunity, but fan angst aside it appears he has the respect of the NFL coaching world in terms of what he has built here outside of QB. . 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

We could do worse than Ken Zampese, but in reality most of these candidates would not even be interviewing if what you say is true. I get it's popular to trash Ron at every possible opportunity, but fan angst aside it appears he has the respect of the NFL coaching world in terms of what he has built here outside of QB. . 

Agreed. There are a lot of reasons to bash Rivera but the guy is going out of his way to find a quality OC. If they all turn him down then so be it but I think one of these young up and comers will look at our situation and say "I can make that work." 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Didn't know much about Thomas Brown until the above article. Based solely on the above, he wont be an OC very long if hired as one. Seems HC material.

Perhaps he comes in and does his time as OC here and then gets promoted to HC in a year or two when Ron rides off into the sunset.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Perhaps he comes in and does his time as OC here and then gets promoted to HC in a year or two when Ron rides off into the sunset.

Yeah that's my impression, if he doesn't get picked as HC this year it wont be long until he does, either with us or someone else.

Edited by Chris 44

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said on his podcast today that he's heard a lot of good things about Studesville.

I listened to that and noticed Keim seemed to talk a lot about him. 

One thing from that podcast was Keim seemed to think it would be wrapped up by the end of next week.

Purely from a coaching perspective, the attraction of this job is apparent - the skill players, putting “coaching up a young qb” on the resume, the relatively low bar succeeding Turner (and TH/Wentz), working under a respected head coach (and defensive-minded one that probably gives you a bit more leeway), and having a stout defense to support your O.

The seeming negative of working under (potentially) a lame duck coach might be offset by what comes after - the possibility of becoming the new HC, and the fact that you won’t be viewed as jumping ship after 1 year if the staff is released next year.

I think perhaps the true, or bigger (potential) negative is family displacement, but in reality, if you’re a guy on an upward trajectory, you and your family are already aware that you might be moving on in short order no matter which OC job you take.

Of course, with no guarantees in terms of a sale, we’’re still stuck with the stigma of Snyder owning the team.  No telling just how much of an impact that has on the search.

I think this lame duck metaphor gets tossed around a little too loosely.

A lame duck is a politician who's successor has already been chosen or in sports a coach who's coaching the last few games in a lost season who everybody knows is going to be fired after the season.

Coaches don't enter offseasons as lame ducks they enter on the hot seat, meaning they need to succeed next year in order to secure their future.

Even with new owners coming in if this team turns the offense around and keeps the defense top 5 and we (God willing) win 13 games or so and hopefully a playoff game or two there's no way the new owners fire Ron.

I Know that's a hypothetical but it's possible and potential suitors for the coordinator position know this. 

Ron may not be the most successful head coach in the league but he is extremely well respected and that will play a role in coordinators decision to consider this opening.

We have a top 5 defense, an offense with multiple pieces already in place going into an offseason where upgrading those weaknesses is a known plan, a defensive head coach who is going to cede the majority of offensive control to a coordinator who is then going to get almost all of the credit or blame for the offenses succes or failure so you don't have to worry about being in "eric Bienemy" territory so to speak.

The sale of the team is no doubt a cloud hanging over this opportunity but it's not half as bad as people are making it out to be, if you come in here and turn this offense around your one of the hottest commodities going into next offseason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1