Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Don't Know What Week It Is They All Blend Together (vs Tennessee)

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. Its a dead franchise. The name change was the final nail in the coffin. Even with all the losing before, we still had the lore and allure of the Washington Redskins which still had value.

Nuke this franchise or move them to London or something. Let us start over fresh and new with a new owner, stadium, etc. in a few years.

Plenty of other teams around the area now to follow. Just flush this failure.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Plenty of other teams around the area now to follow. Just flush this failure.

I mostly just watch Red Zone now. I'll never up and root for another team, I'd never be able to match the same passion, but the NFL as a whole is still an incredible product when you're watching actual good teams.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I mostly just watch Red Zone now. I'll never up and root for another team, I'd never be able to match the same passion, but the NFL as a whole is still an incredible product when you're watching actual good teams.

Meh, they've watered it down so much to prop up the QBs and scoring points, that every other part of the game has suffered and it leaves you with a small handful of good teams.

You rarely see a good game, until  the second round of the playoffs.

I have no idea the caliber of who was covering Brown, but do our coaches absolutely suck at evaluating talent on the roster? I am not saying Brown should be given the keys to the car or anything, but is there not a way to get someone with that speed and catch-making ability more snaps?  I get that it could have just been a favorable matchup against a less than good secondary, but so what his skillset can flip a matchup in a hurry.  

The secondary looks way different with Jackson off the field.  They didn't morph into great, but they certainly looked a hell of a lot better.

What is with all these delays and misjudging of talent and ability?

One positive sign I saw in the offense today is that Scott Turner finally started inserting those quick dump off passes for Wentz to check down to very quickly if the deep shots aren't there.  Defenses don't want to get beat deep but if you keep getting 8-15 yards a pop on those little 8 yard passes, the defense eventually is forced to adjust and take more risks over the top. 

That said, Scott Turner is still a problem.

Those goal line calls were just awful.  

Fade to Turner, Terry, Brown, Cam Sims.......anything besides throw ball barely even to goal line and fall backwards over the line. 

Defense was a lot better overall, the D-line was feasting, it was one of the first times I have ever felt like I was seeing the domination promised.  Henry went Henry.....just who he is.  Too many time it seemed they had him stopped at the line or a yard past, but the dove for his ankles and he just keeps going.  It was ridiculous. 

Clock management was horrid again. Embarrassing even. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nuke this franchise or move them to London or something. Let us start over fresh and new with a new owner, stadium, etc. in a few years.

How hilarious would it be if they became the London commanders and people were like, what's the problem?

They're still the same team you grew up rooting for.

It's mind boggling to me how some don't understand why the bond between me and this team is virtually severed, and it's not because of the losing. 

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This franchise is just done. Doesn't matter if they change the coach, QB or any of that other stuff. It's a city that stopped caring and an out of touch owner and a crappy crappy name/image. Should flush it all down the toilet and let an expansion team come in in 5-10 years.

The nfl will never put another team in dc. They have eyes for Europe one day.

The nfc east could send 3 teams to the playoffs and I think the road to the SuperBowl in the nfc could go thru the nfc east winner.

Nfc east will only get stronger next year; well 3 teams will and the doormat, the Commodes.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

I'll tell you what feels great to wake up to every Monday morning, "....and don't look now, but the NFC EAST is back!.......oh, well and the Commanders"  Super fun routine I've been used to every few seasons when the three other teams manage to have built a new foundation and are seeing the dividends, while I wonder why my team can't score touchdowns from the 2 yard line to win the game. Can't wait for Thursday!

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Haha 1

Aside from the absolute idiotic decision Rivera made to challenge the Simms obvious no catch on the final drive, which ended with the three play goal line debacle, there were four or five other plays that really stuck out to me that were huge in determining the outcome. They were:

1. The 3rd and 5 from the Tennessee 24 when Sweat had Tannehill in his grasp and dead to rights, before Tannehill got the ball off to the RB for a gain of 8 and a first down. We should've been off the field, but instead this kept the drive alive that ultimately ended in a Titans TD just before the half.

2. Same drive- 3rd & 8 from our 40. Sweat jumps off sides- declined after Obada is called for roughing Tannehill. Again, we possibly get off the field, but the penalty keeps the drive alive which ended in that costly Titan TD seconds before halftime.

3. Our first drive of the second half. Wentz hits McClaurin for a 1st down at midfield. After two plays, we have 3rd & 4 at the Tennessee 44 and Wentz under no real pressure and happy feet sails a throw over a wide open Turners head at the 25. This would have given us a 1st down deep in Titan territory, but instead we must punt due to an inaccurate throw by Wentz.

4. After the above drive, our D forces a Titan punt from their own end zone. We take over at the Tennessee 46 and give the ball up on downs after Wentz gets back to back balls tipped by the D-line on both 3rd and 4th down. 

5. After we take a 17-14 lead late in the 3rd quarter and have momentum, a defensive stop gives us a chance at getting some separation on the scoreboard, but on a 2nd & 8 from their own 27, Tannehill launches a long ball just before getting hit and completes a 61 yard pass to a wide open Titan receiver leading to a TD that gives them the lead right back.

Obviously, there were more penalties and plays that were costly, but these were the ones that stuck out in my mind as game changing plays for Tennessee. Oh, and the fact that we went another game without creating a turnover certainly didn't help our cause. Our D now has one interception on a desperation late game heave and 0 fumble recoveries because our opponents- other than a muffed punt against Philly that bounced right back into their arms- have not even put the ball on the ground after 5 games....unheard of at any level of football.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My thoughts: 

Thread/ With the season essentially over for @Commanders this is the perfect time to feel out the trade market for Wentz… he hasn’t been bad this year and good teams, like the Dolphins, could use him. Also, it gives the Commanders a chance to see what they have in Howell Prior to the draft. Thirdly, it can help us get back some of that lost draft capital going in to next season. As much as it hurts us all to acknowledge it, the season is over. We may potentially end up with the #1 overall pick in the draft. Howell was a projected first rounder In 2021 and fell due to lack of talent last year even though he still put up good numbers. He may be the future, he may not, but we need to know prior to holding a top 5 pick in a good draft. Wentz could bring back talent or back end picks and would clear up more cap space.

Lastly, and although we’ve seen too much change, Rivera and Co. aren’t the answer. They’re consistently subpar and this might be their worst fielderd team yet, but not based on talent. They are out coached and until today, they haven’t produced a competent NFL game plan. Hell, These last few games leading up to today, this season, have been worse than any Skins game I had seen in my 38 years. Now, there’s some serious talent on this roster, but it’s not being utilized to their strengths, and my fear is the morale and team is lost on its coaching staff

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This franchise is just done. Doesn't matter if they change the coach, QB or any of that other stuff. It's a city that stopped caring and an out of touch owner and a crappy crappy name/image. Should flush it all down the toilet and let an expansion team come in in 5-10 years.

Move them To London. Let them be the first team for the nfl in europe. And

give washington a new team

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Aside from the absolute idiotic decision Rivera made to challenge the Simms obvious no catch on the final drive, which ended with the three play goal line debacle, there were four or five other plays that really stuck out to me that were huge in determining the outcome. They were:

1. The 3rd and 5 from the Tennessee 24 when Sweat had Tannehill in his grasp and dead to rights, before Tannehill got the ball off to the RB for a gain of 8 and a first down. We should've been off the field, but instead this kept the drive alive that ultimately ended in a Titans TD just before the half.

2. Same drive- 3rd & 8 from our 40. Sweat jumps off sides- declined after Obada is called for roughing Tannehill. Again, we possibly get off the field, but the penalty keeps the drive alive which ended in that costly Titan TD seconds before halftime.

3. Our first drive of the second half. Wentz hits McClaurin for a 1st down at midfield. After two plays, we have 3rd & 4 at the Tennessee 44 and Wentz under no real pressure and happy feet sails a throw over a wide open Turners head at the 25. This would have given us a 1st down deep in Titan territory, but instead we must punt due to an inaccurate throw by Wentz.

4. After the above drive, our D forces a Titan punt from their own end zone. We take over at the Tennessee 46 and give the ball up on downs after Wentz gets back to back balls tipped by the D-line on both 3rd and 4th down. 

5. After we take a 17-14 lead late in the 3rd quarter and have momentum, a defensive stop gives us a chance at getting some separation on the scoreboard, but on a 2nd & 8 from their own 27, Tannehill launches a long ball just before getting hit and completes a 61 yard pass to a wide open Titan receiver leading to a TD that gives them the lead right back.

Obviously, there were more penalties and plays that were costly, but these were the ones that stuck out in my mind as game changing plays for Tennessee. Oh, and the fact that we went another game without creating a turnover certainly didn't help our cause. Our D now has one interception on a desperation late game heave and 0 fumble recoveries because our opponents- other than a muffed punt against Philly that bounced right back into their arms- have not even put the ball on the ground after 5 games....unheard of at any level of football.

The first tipped pass was thrown to the wrong target there were receivers crossing both ways across the field on that play if he had thrown it to the receiver running to the right side of the field it would have been completed and not tipped.

On the tipped passes - i am surprised how many wentz has had this year

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

My thoughts: 

Thread/ With the season essentially over for @Commanders this is the perfect time to feel out the trade market for Wentz… he hasn’t been bad this year and good teams, like the Dolphins, could use him. Also, it gives the Commanders a chance to see what they have in Howell Prior to the draft. Thirdly, it can help us get back some of that lost draft capital going in to next season. As much as it hurts us all to acknowledge it, the season is over. We may potentially end up with the #1 overall pick in the draft. Howell was a projected first rounder In 2021 and fell due to lack of talent last year even though he still put up good numbers. He may be the future, he may not, but we need to know prior to holding a top 5 pick in a good draft. Wentz could bring back talent or back end picks and would clear up more cap space.

Lastly, and although we’ve seen too much change, Rivera and Co. aren’t the answer. They’re consistently subpar and this might be their worst fielderd team yet, but not based on talent. They are out coached and until today, they haven’t produced a competent NFL game plan. Hell, These last few games leading up to today, this season, have been worse than any Skins game I had seen in my 38 years. Now, there’s some serious talent on this roster, but it’s not being utilized to their strengths, and my fear is the morale and team is lost on its coaching staff

I'm not going to fault one for trying, but I'm pretty sure the trade market for Wentz is basically zero. Back in the off-season it seemed Washington was bidding against itself to trade for him. I'm not sure who is even interested. There's also serious issues for any team about bringing in ANY QB mid-season who doesn't know the playbook. And Wentz's salary will also cause issues. You mention Miami, but does anyone think Wentz with zero reps or knowledge of Miami's playbook is even better for them than Bridgewater at this point? And how long is Tua out for anyway, he's not even on IR. Not to mention the Dolphins lack the cap space.

3 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Move them To London. Let them be the first team for the nfl in europe. And

give washington a new team

I keep saying this...we might not get a team way Ravens, Steelers and Panthers are already carving up what remains of our fan base and TV market.

Commanders move to London, NFL will make case to keep NFC East in tact with one team jus very far east from the rest.  Don't try to make it make sense, Dallas is in Texas ffs.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I'm not going to fault one for trying, but I'm pretty sure the trade market for Wentz is basically zero. Back in the off-season it seemed Washington was bidding against itself to trade for him. I'm not sure who is even interested. There's also serious issues for any team about bringing in ANY QB mid-season who doesn't know the playbook. And Wentz's salary will also cause issues. You mention Miami, but does anyone think Wentz with zero reps or knowledge of Miami's playbook is even better for them than Bridgewater at this point? And how long is Tua out for anyway, he's not even on IR. Not to mention the Dolphins lack the cap space.

This is an interesting idea. If any starting QBs are lost for the season or extended time, you can ship him there, especially to a coach from the Reid tree. You can choose to eat most of his salary and let the other team take a minimal cap hit. The other team will also be able to cut him next year for $0 cap hit

Team sucks.  Franchise sucks.  Everyone sucks and they have for some time now.  At this point I have given up on seeing another Super Bowl or even NFC championship in my lifetime.  Maybe when I'm 80 (I'm 40).

I agree Rivera needs to go.  He has had his chance and I see absolutely no progress.  The lack of talent on this roster is painfully apparent, and the play calling is atrocious too.

• Like 2