Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Don't Know What Week It Is They All Blend Together (vs Tennessee)

KDawg

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I hate the "taking helmet off rule" because it feels like what was once specifically a rule related to taunting, ended up turning into an across the board blanket application rule.  I know what Sweat did technically was a penalty according to the rule book, but anyone who saw it should realize he didn't take his helmet off to taunt or show anyone up.  He wasn't even around anyone and immediately was jogging to the sideline. 

Exactly. Didn’t look at all like he was taunting anyone or trying to show up anyone, seeing as how nobody was near him. Was it dumb of him to do, as the rule is currently written? Yes. But I’m glad the refs did miss that penalty, since he wasn’t taunting/showing anyone up.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Exactly. Didn’t look at all like he was taunting anyone or trying to show up anyone, seeing as how nobody was near him. Was it dumb of him to do, as the rule is currently written? Yes. But I’m glad the refs did miss that penalty, since he wasn’t taunting/showing anyone up.

Yeah to me the rule is kind of similar to the spinning the ball after a catch thing. Garcon got flagged for it a couple times if I remember correctly.  The officials started it calling it taunting because WR's would purposely spin it next to a DB or something of the sort, but after a season of thinking it over, they modified the rule so that it wasn't a penalty unless the WR specifically directed it at another player.  That is how I feel the taking off the helmet rule should be applied. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is not based on statistics, just feel. I feel like we don't have to play on third downs very often because they are getting first downs on first and second down so often. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Easy to win a championship? No.

Easy to be a consistent contender? No

Easy to win games.....eh....maybe I wouldn't go as far as saying easy, but a mediocre product isn't just about the roster. It's also about the people putting together the roster.  

The Eagles game is the only game so far this season where I felt going into it, the team had little to no chance based on the actual 53 man roster.  Every other game, the reason I was foolish enough to believe there was a realistic shot at winning was due to the other team's roster and what I'd seen from them leading up.   

Take the Titans game. Other than Henry doing Henry things, did anything about Tennessee jump out to you as good or good team?  

I am not sure if River in his presser today is eluding to Wentz not being a good fit for the Scott Turner offense, but if that is the case......why are they BOTH here?  I don't understand the logic of grabbing Wentz in the first place.  And don't take that as being anti-Wentz on my part necessarily.  I am just tired of the nonsensical things being said by the folks who are tasked with building a team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Easy to win games.....eh....maybe I wouldn't go as far as saying easy, but a mediocre product isn't just about the roster. It's also about the people putting together the roster.  

The Eagles game is the only game so far this season where I felt going into it, the team had little to no chance based on the actual 53 man roster.  Every other game, the reason I was foolish enough to believe there was a realistic shot at winning was due to the other team's roster and what I'd seen from them leading up.   

Take the Titans game. Other than Henry doing Henry things, did anything about Tennessee jump out to you as good or good team?  

I am not sure if River in his presser today is eluding to Wentz not being a good fit for the Scott Turner offense, but if that is the case......why are they BOTH here?  I don't understand the logic of grabbing Wentz in the first place.  And don't take that as being anti-Wentz on my part necessarily.  I am just tired of the nonsensical things being said by the folks who are tasked with building a team.

Imo it’s easy to go from bad to ok. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they lose in Chicago, the season is over at 1-5, there is no chance for the playoffs, and at that point, the most important thing to do would be to preserve the 2nd round pick for next year.  

Even if it's not Wentz's fault.  And yesterday's loss, Wentz was not the problem, and for most of the game was a big part of the solution. 

But that doesn't matter.  You need to keep the 2nd if you lose against Chicago.  

You also should not bring Chase Young back this year, should shelve Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin, play TH to assure losing, and if possible, trade Montez Sweat for anything you can get for him before the trade deadline.  I think he's the only player who has any trade value whatsoever.   Except for Payne, but I'd still keep Payne and try and sign him.  The team lacks good players.  He's a good player.  They should keep the 3-4 good players they have.

I wouldn't put Howell behind Norwell, Martin and Charles.  You'll learn nothing, destroy the kid's confidence, and the fans will declare him a bust and never give up on that idea unless he turns into Tom Brady.  TH can play.  I don't care about him. He can go take the beating and then be out of the league next year.  

If somebody wanted Curtis Samuel, I'd trade him also, but I don't know if anybody would want to trade for him.  

They can't trade Terry (contract) and they shouldn't trade any draft pick in the last 2 years.  

Other than that, it's reset mode (again) and they should just commit fully to it.  

They probably won't do that.  But they should. 

One of the bright spots in the game was Sweat producing, IMO, because he’s probably our best trade bait at this point.  Well, maybe Allen, but he’s on the (very) short list of keepers for me.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Old Blue said:

I'm not saying he's where he needs to be. But, my point is, you give him a respectable amount of time to get there. Seasons going no where any way, What's the harm?

A second round pick dont even get close to 60 percent of plays before you bench him. Incase he has to go in at week 15-17 due to others being injured

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

This coaching staff has a history of getting players that dont fit what they are doing and trying to force the player who cant do what they demand into failing. What they need to do is get a plan that works with the players they have. And abandon the “our plan” or “our system”

On 10/9/2022 at 6:58 PM, KDawg said:

I've never really thought he was going to be the long term QB. I thought he had a chance to be, but he is who he is. Will play fantastic for stretches and horrendous for stretches. I thought he'd help us be competitive this year, but I didn't fully realize just how bad our offensive line was going to be. With the line like this I don't think Wentz has a chance and I'd think we should cut ties after the season to save cap space and in the next few weeks stop playing him altogether to preserve the second round pick.

But I don't blame him entirely. 

I'd like to see Howell. 

I want to see Howell as well but I worry with this line him getting Ramsey’ed

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

At least or D is almost average, and that is with an absolute handicap of our O giving them a pair of cement shoes.

If they had some support, they would probably be an above average unit. I'd say they are close to picking up where they left off at their peak last year.

Here’s the thing though, they played relatively well against Tennessee.  Why does it take 5 weeks for them to figure it out? 

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Here’s the thing though, they played relatively well against Tennessee.  Why does it take 5 weeks for them to figure it out? 

It didn't. I'd argue they have been near this level for weeks but they were depth charged by the O.

Our Offense started out the Lions game w/ 5 straight 3-n-outs or worse. The Lions did not score a TD until possession 4, and that was after a two play drive by our O that yielded a safety and a 51 yd return for a 31 yard short field. Snowballed from there. By the time the O woke up, our D was dead on the line.

Same deal w/ Philly. O puts out a horrendous early showing and puts all the pressure on a worn out D. The Eagles didn't score their first TD until possession 4, and that was after 4 woeful possessions by our O culminating in a fumble that leaves our D to defend a 24 yard short field. Snowballs from there.

Dal was more of a slugfest, but the D played their usual average brand of game. The score remained manageable but w an O that only put up 10 points it gradually slipped away.

And of course vs Tenn they were serviceable.

This around average D is what we have seen for the majority of the year. It was more noticeable vs Tenn due to a swarming pass rush, but the effectiveness of the D as a whole has been around the same when comparing how they did at the start of games and not worn out and gassed by their own Offense.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Tennessee's offense I think is pretty woeful. You can clearly see that Henry isnt the same. They were without their top WR in Burks whos only a rookie. Young TEs and a thin OL being head by a mediocre Tannehill. They are primed for a rebuild around a new QB in a year or 2. 

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The D was legitimately bad the first two games. But since then they've been quite good and have given us a chance to win all three times.

Do you actually think that if the offense was able to put up any points against the Eagles, the defense would still shut them out in the second half?  I certainly don’t.

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

This around average D is what we have seen for the majority of the year. It was more noticeable vs Tenn due to a swarming pass rush, but the effectiveness of the D as a whole has been around the same when comparing how they did at the start of games and not worn out and gassed by their own Offense.

Meh, it’s always been our defense giving up huge plays that has killed them. The offense has done pretty well it’s time of possession in games; particularly given how much they pass.