Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Don't Know What Week It Is They All Blend Together (vs Tennessee)

KDawg

6 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

This franchise has always been Gibbs and Joe gibbs only.  He is the only one who has done anything here. 

You dont remember george allen - he coached the team to a super bowl and they were always a threat to win every week .

And we had a team in the 30s and 40s with Baugh as qb that won two nfl championships and were always in the top of the league

• Like 3

3 hours ago, method man said:

This is a non issue. We can choose to eat most of the cap hit if we want to. Doubt Ron & co have the creativity to seriously pursue this though

You don't just throw away a $ 28,000,000 investment 5 games into a season.

You need to give him and his offensive line time to get on the same page.

I'd say it's not even worth discussing till after game #9.

3 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

I think after chicago if he does exactly what he did the last 5 weeks which is 3-4 great deep passes and a bunch of short awful

passes and respectable mid range passes. 

his sub 10 yard  passing game has been awful 

19 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok so, I know sweat wasn’t penalized for removing his helmet, but I’m curious….how did that even become a penalty in the first place? What’s unsportsmanlike about taking your helmet off while running off the field? I just don’t understand that logic…..someone explain that to me 

Story time: I believe it became a rule in 1997, and was mostly a reaction to Emmitt Smith who would rip off his helmet and glare at people, both after TDs and during drives.  There were others, but Smith really enjoyed taking off his helmet.  I didn't think it was that big a deal, but it irritated Emmitt, so I didn't mind it either.  

Enter the infamous 1997 tie-game between the Giants and Redskins, at FedEx Field on Sunday Night Football.  This is the game when Gus Frerotte banged his head into a wall and concussed himself in celebration.  

It's also a game, when in overtime, Michael Westbrook knocked the team out of game winning FG range by removing his helmet to argue he was being held.  Norv Turner went apoplectic. Which was rare for Norv.  Westbrook got a 15 yard Personal Foul penalty, and essentially took the team out of a a "really should win" situation at the 33, pushing them back to the 48 with 38 seconds remaining, and no TOs.  They got a little closer, missed a 54 yard FG at the gun.  

Joe Theisman was on the call on Sunday Night Football on ESPN, and said something like, "That young man is going to grow up and realize he made a big mistake." (aside, that booth of Joe Theisman, Mike Patrick and Paul McGuire might have been my favorite booth of all time.  Suzy Colber on the sidelines.  They had fantastic chemistry. And the hit between a very young Stuart Scott (RIP) and Joey T. on the pre-game show were absolute gold.  I remember once, Stu said something while tossing it to Joe, and Joe just laughed and said, "Stu, I have no idea what you just said."   Both laughed.  

Story Time Over. Back to your regular scheduled discussion about this crap team.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I think after chicago if he does exactly what he did the last 5 weeks which is 3-4 great deep passes and a bunch of short awful

passes and respectable mid range passes. 

his sub 10 yard  passing game has been awful 

I'm not saying he's where he needs to be. But, my point is, you give him a respectable amount of time to get there. Seasons going no where any way, What's the harm?

If they lose in Chicago, the season is over at 1-5, there is no chance for the playoffs, and at that point, the most important thing to do would be to preserve the 2nd round pick for next year.  

Even if it's not Wentz's fault.  And yesterday's loss, Wentz was not the problem, and for most of the game was a big part of the solution. 

But that doesn't matter.  You need to keep the 2nd if you lose against Chicago.  

You also should not bring Chase Young back this year, should shelve Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin, play TH to assure losing, and if possible, trade Montez Sweat for anything you can get for him before the trade deadline.  I think he's the only player who has any trade value whatsoever.   Except for Payne, but I'd still keep Payne and try and sign him.  The team lacks good players.  He's a good player.  They should keep the 3-4 good players they have.

I wouldn't put Howell behind Norwell, Martin and Charles.  You'll learn nothing, destroy the kid's confidence, and the fans will declare him a bust and never give up on that idea unless he turns into Tom Brady.  TH can play.  I don't care about him. He can go take the beating and then be out of the league next year.  

If somebody wanted Curtis Samuel, I'd trade him also, but I don't know if anybody would want to trade for him.  

They can't trade Terry (contract) and they shouldn't trade any draft pick in the last 2 years.  

Other than that, it's reset mode (again) and they should just commit fully to it.  

They probably won't do that.  But they should. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

Sunk cost fallacy at play. If you're certain the QB is trash, better to take him to the dumpster and be done with it. I don't care how much money Carson is making this season, since it's not a long term commitment. We can cut him next offseason without a cap hit.

That being said, Heini isn't the answer, and Sam may or may not be ready to be a full time starter at this point. It makes sense to roll with Wentz until the playoffs are well out of reach statistically. When the season is officially lost, then you put in the rook and get him some experience.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Other than that, it's reset mode (again) and they should just commit fully to it.  

I don’t disagree at all really.  

But I’d go so far as to say they definitely won’t do that, or even 2/3 of it.  

At this point, all we can hope is that Ron pulls the plug on Wentz prior to the 70% mark.  Even that feels questionable to me, even though it shouldn’t.  I do worry about him being too stubborn to accept that this is a failure and hang on too long, turning that 3rd into a 2nd.  I also can’t see him admitting this whole operation is a failure and tanking in any capacity.

I expect him to try and get these guys to gut out a few more wins, enough to take us out of a prime pick and for Wentz to take > 70% of the snaps in doing so.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they lose in Chicago, the season is over at 1-5, there is no chance for the playoffs, and at that point, the most important thing to do would be to preserve the 2nd round pick for next year.  

LOL.

Bruh ... I don't know how to break it to you, but the season is ALREADY over.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Sunk cost fallacy at play. If you're certain the QB is trash, better to take him to the dumpster and be done with it. I don't care how much money Carson is making this season, since it's not a long term commitment. We can cut him next offseason without a cap hit.

That being said, Heini isn't the answer, and Sam may or may not be ready to be a full time starter at this point. It makes sense to roll with Wentz until the playoffs are well out of reach statistically. When the season is officially lost, then you put in the rook and get him some experience.

No one seems to want to take into consideration Heinicke has a full years experience with this team?

He knows everybody's tendencies. If I'm deciding on quarterbacks, to me, that's one of the most important factors in the equation.

But, that ship has sailed and a significant financial investment has been made. If you don't think that is going to be taken into consideration,

I don't know what to tell you.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t disagree at all really.  

But I’d go so far as to say they definitely won’t do that, or even 2/3 of it.  

At this point, all we can hope is that Ron pulls the plug on Wentz prior to the 70% mark.  Even that feels questionable to me, even though it shouldn’t.  I do worry about him being too stubborn to accept that this is a failure and hang on too long, turning that 3rd into a 2nd.  I also can’t see him admitting this whole operation is a failure and tanking in any capacity.

I expect him to try and get these guys to gut out a few more wins, enough to take us out of a prime pick and for Wentz to take > 70% of the snaps in doing so.

That's what I expect also. 

I'm willing to give him the opportunity to do it IF they win on Thursday night.  

Let's be honest:  Bears, Packers, Colts, Vikings.  

The Bears suck.  The Giants just beat the Packers. They're not the same packers.  The Colts suck.  And the Vikings barely beat the Bears.

If you win on Thursday, they could get back to .500. by mid-season, and then you have to play it out to see what happens.  

However, if you lose on Thursday, the chances of doing that are REALLY slim.  4 games under .500, with 4 more games against good divisional opponents, an OL in tatters ... It's too big a hole to climb.  

At that point, Martin, Marty, and even Dan have to intervene to protect the second round pick.  If that means firing Ron mid-season, and that might be what it takes, that might be what they have to do. 

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Story time: I believe it became a rule in 1997, and was mostly a reaction to Emmitt Smith who would rip off his helmet and glare at people, both after TDs and during drives.  There were others, but Smith really enjoyed taking off his helmet.  I didn't think it was that big a deal, but it irritated Emmitt, so I didn't mind it either.  

Enter the infamous 1997 tie-game between the Giants and Redskins, at FedEx Field on Sunday Night Football.  This is the game when Gus Frerotte banged his head into a wall and concussed himself in celebration.  

It's also a game, when in overtime, Michael Westbrook knocked the team out of game winning FG range by removing his helmet to argue he was being held.  Norv Turner went apoplectic. Which was rare for Norv.  Westbrook got a 15 yard Personal Foul penalty, and essentially took the team out of a a "really should win" situation at the 33, pushing them back to the 48 with 38 seconds remaining, and no TOs.  They got a little closer, missed a 54 yard FG at the gun.  

Joe Theisman was on the call on Sunday Night Football on ESPN, and said something like, "That young man is going to grow up and realize he made a big mistake." (aside, that booth of Joe Theisman, Mike Patrick and Paul McGuire might have been my favorite booth of all time.  Suzy Colber on the sidelines.  They had fantastic chemistry. And the hit between a very young Stuart Scott (RIP) and Joey T. on the pre-game show were absolute gold.  I remember once, Stu said something while tossing it to Joe, and Joe just laughed and said, "Stu, I have no idea what you just said."   Both laughed.  

Story Time Over. Back to your regular scheduled discussion about this crap team.  

I think that's the most painful game I've ever watched as a fan.  Just brutal.  

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL.

Bruh ... I don't know how to break it to you, but the season is ALREADY over.

Yeah, I know.  You know.  THEY don't know yet.  They will at 1-5 though.  

Just now, skins4eva said:

I think that's the most painful game I've ever watched as a fan.  Just brutal.  

Mine was the Dallas win in the opener in 1999, when they gave up a bomb to Rocket Ismael in OT have Emmit had a 4th quarter drive when he ran the ball on something like 10 straight plays to score the tying TD.

Nowhere near as important, the loss to the Saints in 2009 (the year they won the SB) when we had a 21 yard FG to win and (I think ) Suisham missed the game winner only to lose in OT, that was pretty brutal as well.  But that team wasn't going anywhere, and  I was at the game with my future wife so it wasn't all bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I know.  You know.  THEY don't know yet.  They will at 1-5 though.  

Mine was the Dallas win in the opener in 1999, when they gave up a bomb to Rocket Ismael in OT have Emmit had a 4th quarter drive when he ran the ball on something like 10 straight plays to score the tying TD.

Nowhere near as important, the loss to the Saints in 2009 (the year they won the SB) when we had a 21 yard FG to win and (I think ) Suisham missed the game winner only to lose in OT, that was pretty brutal as well.  But that team wasn't going anywhere, and  I was at the game with my future wife so it wasn't all bad.

Ugh.  That dallas game. Another brutal one.  I was at the US open that day and remember trying to follow along via score updates.  I'm glad I didnt have to see it live. I also remember the Cinny game in London--not the worst ever, but another L due to our inability to find a reliable FG kicker...

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Even if it's not Wentz's fault.  And yesterday's loss, Wentz was not the problem, and for most of the game was a big part of the solution. 

But that doesn't matter.  You need to keep the 2nd if you lose against Chicago.  

You also should not bring Chase Young back this year, should shelve Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin, play TH to assure losing, and if possible, trade Montez Sweat for anything you can get for him before the trade deadline.  I think he's the only player who has any trade value whatsoever.   Except for Payne, but I'd still keep Payne and try and sign him.  The team lacks good players.  He's a good player.  They should keep the 3-4 good players they have.

I wouldn't put Howell behind Norwell, Martin and Charles.  You'll learn nothing, destroy the kid's confidence, and the fans will declare him a bust and never give up on that idea unless he turns into Tom Brady.  TH can play.  I don't care about him. He can go take the beating and then be out of the league next year.  

If somebody wanted Curtis Samuel, I'd trade him also, but I don't know if anybody would want to trade for him.  

They can't trade Terry (contract) and they shouldn't trade any draft pick in the last 2 years.  

The fact that Carolina is trading players after firing just shows how much further along with their thought process than us.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That was my first game at FedEx. Just an absolute miserable experience, most were. Didn't even hear about how Gus headbutted the wall until the car ride home. 🤣

11 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

No one seems to want to take into consideration Heinicke has a full years experience with this team?

He knows everybody's tendencies. If I'm deciding on quarterbacks, to me, that's one of the most important factors in the equation.

But, that ship has sailed and a significant financial investment has been made. If you don't think that is going to be taken into consideration,

I don't know what to tell you.

Heinicke doesn’t know Norwell, Robinson, Martin, Turner, Turner, Dotson, Samuel, Rogers.

• Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

• Like 1

I hate the "taking helmet off rule" because it feels like what was once specifically a rule related to taunting, ended up turning into an across the board blanket application rule.  I know what Sweat did technically was a penalty according to the rule book, but anyone who saw it should realize he didn't take his helmet off to taunt or show anyone up.  He wasn't even around anyone and immediately was jogging to the sideline. 

People talking about heartbreak games.  Someone brought up the 1999 season opener.  I was 19 and working weekends at the time doing car detailing at a dealership, so besides catching bits & pieces of games, I relied on radio updates which was the red zone channel of that era.  So I am working, hearing updates, and smiling a lot as I kept hearing about Washington build it's 35-14 lead.  As the day keeps going I keep hearing updates of Dallas closing the gap, eventually tying, and then the OT TD call.....I just stopped what I was doing and tried to hide from everyone else because I knew the trash talking would be off the charts.  It was, but nothing compared to the playoff loss to Tampa, where i snuck off to take a "break" and watch the 2nd half of the game in a semi-hidden breakroom at the back of the lot.  After witnessing the sequence of events that lead to the loss I didn't even want to walk back to the detailing area, and right on queue as soon as I am back there, the detail phone is ringing off the hook of co-workings buzzing me to talk maaaad trash.  I remember being mad, but also hopeful of what the team could build on....LOL....if only I knew.