Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Lions Command Respect

KDawg

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Multiple reporters who usually don't just fly stuff against the wall when they speculate -- usually their speculation is based on a source or two -- suggested that Ron was on a budget from Dan and hit most of that budget when they landed Wentz.

That's actually exactly the opposite of what they reported.  Standig asked Ron if he was on a budget directly, and Ron said no, they were doing things for cap reasons.  Then Standig and others continued down the path because they are drawing conclusions.  And Standig at least always caveated it that he had no source on it, he was just guessing.  So did Keim.  JP never caveated it, but he got it from Standig.  

Let's at least get the reporting accurate.  

wasn’t off by much on my prediction, we call that Washington Fan experience. You can’t get all hype cause you barely beat the Jags, and just cause the Lions lost week 1, this is still a horribly coached and run franchise. 

I do believe it’s mostly scheme and coaching, the offense can put up points and is talented, the defense is like the Bunny Ranch, everyone getting in and scoring. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t think it’s the 2 point conversion call when the score was made 29-22, that people are mad about is it? Isn’t it the one after that? Or am I misremembering which touchdown the 2nd 2PC (that failed) happened at?

You are misremembering for sure.  The 2 point conversion when it was 29-21 is the one people are freaking out over.  We were down by 14, at 29-15, because of the (yet again, analytically sound) decision Ron made to go for two when we were down 22-7, scored that TD (the one where Samuels got JACKED UP, but to his credit still caught the ball).  Then, after we gave up the pathetic TD to Swift (the one where he literally fell down on the field, got back up, and still scored without being even touched by anyone), we scored again, quickly, to cut the 29-15 lead to 29-21.  Ron went for two there (analytically the CORRECT call), but missed it, leaving us down by 8 at 29-21.  Then we gave up yet another TD to Detroit, to increase the lead to 36-21 (still a two score game).  We then came back and scored (but took WAY to freaking long after running Gibson into a brick wall TWICE inside the 2 yard line), and at that point, down 36-27, only needed our idiot kicker to make the PAT to cut it back to an 8-point (and thus, a ONE score) game.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zCommander said:

And yet you continue to work for the team :rofl89:

I have to make money somehow 🤷🏻‍♂️ And who knows, maybe I’ll go back to loving football again after our next win! (Which…….might not be until November :()

1 minute ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

You are misremembering for sure.  The 2 point conversion when it was 29-21 is the one people are freaking out over.  We were down by 14, at 29-15, because of the (yet again, analytically sound) decision Ron made to go for two when we were down 22-7, scored that TD (the one where Samuels got JACKED UP, but to his credit still caught the ball).  Then, after we gave up the pathetic TD to Swift (the one where he literally fell down on the field, got back up, and still scored without being even touched by anyone), we scored again, quickly, to cut the 29-15 lead to 29-21.  Ron went for two there (analytically the CORRECT call), but missed it, leaving us down by 8 at 29-21.  Then we gave up yet another TD to Detroit, to increase the lead to 36-21 (still a two score game).  We then came back and scored (but took WAY to freaking long after running Gibson into a brick wall TWICE inside the 2 yard line), and at that point, down 36-27, only needed our idiot kicker to make the PAT to cut it back to an 8-point (and thus, a ONE score) game.

Yep looks like I was misremembering the timing. it was the 2nd 2PC (which failed) that nobody agreed with. 

the 1st one (which was successful) people were ok with. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I disagree. The players play, the coaches coach. The team didn't play like they weren't prepared. They played like they didn't get off the bus. It's easy to point to coaching when people think the talent level is higher than it is, but it really isn't that high.

What have guys like Montez Sweat actually done in the NFL? Not much. Name someone on our defense who has been consistently good. I'll name three: Jon Allen, Daron Payne, Kam Curl. We are without one of those three. The others haven't done a whole lot to stand out. 

I'm not willing to give Del Rio a pass because, quite frankly, I think he buries himself by participating in Twitter too often (No, I'm not talking about his actual comments and whether I agree or not, but when you are a coach you have to selectively choose what to participate in conversationally and what not to). I don't think the team believes in him. But he didn't go out there and blow assignments. For a guy with a reported overly simplistic scheme you'd think our players would understand it.

Turner has been very good as a whole this year. He's had 2.25 quarters of bad football. 5.75 of good. Is that great? No. But it's forward movement. Our offense has been good. I'm miffed at them not taking Hutch seriously in gameplanning, but you win some you lose some. They recovered.

This team IS getting better. Just way too slowly. And when it goes too slow you lose people along the way and it falls apart again. Once you get that improvement it has to be steady or the ship starting taking on water again.

They have to bounce back next week. 

Sure, the players play.  I totally get where you're coming from.  And while there's plenty of blame to spread around here, I don't believe this team was set up for success yesterday.  

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

This is why I didn't understand the Davis pick at the time and what upsets me the most about him currently. They needed the brain of London Fletcher desperately before the pick. Why burn your first round draft pick on a guy that will make that problem worse? 

On some level I do understand the need to think outside of the usual box other teams do in, terms of personnel. That's how you find people others didn't or wouldn't. And at the same time I understand thinking, as a coach, you can coach a guy up and get the best out of him more often than not. But we have been criminally wrong on the defensive side of the ball way too often on both of those fronts and that **** is killing us. I almost wonder if Ron is worse as a coach or a personnel guy. 

Every team has hits and misses in personnel.  IMO they have done better than average in the draft and FA -- my issue with FA as I pointed out is they really didn't participate in it this year.

I'll say this for Ron.  He's a slow starter typically, strong finisher typically.    People were very upset early last season and the season before.  Ultimately they hit their stride in both seasons -- last season derailed in the end with COVID.

This team has struggled to find marquee stars for Dan's whole tenure.  Its odd.  We can find very good players.  Buy we struggle to find elite guys.  Trent the exception. 

I hate to say this considering I am a big Antonio Gibson guy in general but I think he's off to a poor start.  Getting him back along with Curl and Chase might help in a big way.  Will see. 

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I have to make money somehow 🤷🏻‍♂️ And who knows, maybe I’ll go back to loving football again after our next win! (Which…….might not be until November :()

Yep looks like I was misremembering the timing. it was the 2nd 2PC (which failed) that nobody agreed with. 

the 1st one (which was successful) people were ok with. 

Yes, that's correct.  BOTH were analytically the correct calls, and (as 2-pointers are basically a 50/50 proposition anyway), we made one 2 pt-er and missed one.  The true killer was the missed PAT by Slye on the TD that cut it to 36-27.  If he makes that kick, after we get the ball back with 1:35 left, we are down 8 instead of 9, clearly a HUGE difference.  Ahead by only 8, maybe Detroit doesn't pin their ears back completely and come after the QB, knowing that they could still be tied by a TD and 2 pt-er.  Up 9, there was really no downside to sending the cavalry after him.  (And in the process injuring our starting center...)   Getting pissed all over again just thinking about that PAT miss...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

My question is why when St Brown runs a jet sweep and Sweat doesn’t set the edge he gets 49 yards.  But when McLaurin runs it and turns the corner, Detroit’s back seven rallies and holds him to seven yards?

It’s because William Jackson, our prized free agent corner has the awareness of a snail.

31 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yes, that's correct.  BOTH were analytically the correct calls, and (as 2-pointers are basically a 50/50 proposition anyway), we made one 2 pt-er and missed one. 

They can anaLICK my balls. That 2nd 2-pt conversion was objectively stoopid. That is also how you spell stoopid.

walk off hansel GIF

Edited by Captain James
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Epically bad first half by the entire team, including STs. All starts with pressure on D and protection on Off (I know, trite but true) The Dline could not get pressure with the entire middle of thier Oline starting back-ups. And our Oline looked like wht we should have been able to expect thiers to look like! Pretty sad. That secondary is just not talented enough to withstand that.And no QB can be successful when guys are camped in your backfield. Having said that, I still maintain the issues on D, along with deficient talent is horrible coaching. JDR just did not even come in with a good plan and then never made adjetments. Yea, they got a bit winded when the O could not stay on the field, but they are pros. Have to pick each other up and it's not like they played li oughtst before that. 

However, although offense was really bad the first half - IMO 95% of that was due to poor Oline play. I find that surprising as that has been one of the consitently decent (no one said great) parts of the team. But they got punched in the mouth. Disrupted everythng the Off was trying to do. Good news is they made some adjustments (no, not jsut Hutchinson getting injured) put some pts on the board. While I am not a fan of the scripted plays, especailly what is it 15, overall Scott gets a lot out of what he has. Yes, I know a minority opinuion, but I do not care. Scott Turner has shown signs of being a really good OC considering the hands he hs been dealt. Love the heart of Wentz and Dotson is a star in the making. With Terry paired across from him, the next 4+ yrs will be fun to watch. 

I like Ron but he cannot be HC and play GM at the same time. He needs to pick one and get someone to do the other role. I would prefer he move to GM and hire a HC and let them pick coaches even if it means losing Scott T. But this all goes back to what many of us have said for years, the team will never really make strides with this stupid structure. But Dan likes it becasue he can play with his toy more closely. I know some will disagree but we need Ron the man. I like him best as GM but would be OK if he wanted to HC only. But I believe he needs to pick one. 

I few ending notes - The Lions are better than people are giving them credit for. They are solid all across the board. This is NOT the Lions of yesteryear. Does not mean we didn't suck yesterday and didn't help them, but they are better than people will admit. 

Next week will be telling. Can the Off start faster? They did against Jack. I think they can. Wentz is legit and there is some talent on Off. Will JDR have a better game plan? I doubt this seriously. It's the same game plan going back to last year. Rotate DLine and hope they make something happen. I am not sure what the plan is in the secondary and from the sounds of things (Forrest comments) the players are not sure either. Me not knowing is fine. Them? not so much. 

Looks like my Sundays starting in Nov will be free afterall. Hope I am worong but can't see it any other way right now. 

The more I think about it, the more inexplicable it is to me how poorly we started the game on offense. I mean the defense was bad, but they did open the game with a 3 and out and held the Lions to a FG and a 4th down stop on the next two drives. Before the Safety it was still just 3-0.

And like I can understand losing, and I can understand guys like Swift and St. Brown having big games because they're great players, but how the heck do you open a game going 3 and out like 5 times in a row and only having basically 20 yards of offense the entire 1st half? Its just mindbogglingly bad considering the talent level we have.

I went back and looked and yeah Goff picked us apart with the short passes. He had 2 pass over 20 yards - and one of those was the 3rd and 15 TD pass and even that one was short. 

He had 7 passes for between 10 - 20 yards. And those are drive extenders. If you look further, you see 130 yards were after the catch and I'm sure that's where a lot of these catches come in. His intended air yards was 8.4, but he had all these first down plays. He really showed his value that game.