Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Lions Command Respect

KDawg

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, having had a little bit of time to sleep on the game, here are my impressions:

1. The first half, the whole offense was blown up because the OL couldn't block anybody.  Turner might be a real problem if he has to play.  Which, most likely he will, because Rouiller is probably out for a while, and even if Wes Schweitzer comes back, he'll have to play center.  

2. They need to get another OL or 2 who they think can play into the rotation.  If they need to call Flowers and see if he's still in shape and can play, then they need to do that.  

3. I didn't really have an issue with letting Flowers go, and replacing him with Norwell.  Paying Scherff was never a good idea.  So, I was fine with letting him walk.  But they need an upgrade somewhere.  They can't let the OL completely derail the entire offense.  

4. Wentz is going to be Wentz.  He's going to make a lot of really good throws, a few bad throws.  He's on pace to throw something like 56 TDs. I don't think that's going to hold up over time (especially if the OL falls apart), but he's going to keep slinging it, and some good things are going to happen.  There will be the odd high-pass, sometimes those will get picked off.  I'll take the good with the bad, at least so far.

5. This was a bad game for Ron.  I like Ron, I believe in Ron, and I think he's absolutely the best we can get right now, if we lose him, we're not getting one of the top candidates to come in here, either for a FO position or a HC position.  This doesn't mean he is perfect.  I think he probably should have just kicked the EP when he had the chance, though I'm not sure it would have mattered, since the defense just couldn't get a stop.

6. The defense is massively disappointing for one big reason: the individual pieces seem to be better than the sum of the parts.  I'm not sure why that is, but something is off.  I do wonder if it's something to do with the fact Jack has a bunch of assistant coaches which Ron picked.  There are personnel gaps.  Losing Curl is a big loss.  

7. I don't think it can be overstated how important losing Phil Mathis is.  He was the guy they picked to basically clog the middle and stop the interior run game.  They moved from Matt I. to Mathis, essentially.  Mathis was going to be a big part of stopping the interior run, allowing Allen and Payne to play more up-field.  By losing him in the first game, it put a huge hole in their plans.

8. I don't know what they can do about it now, but WJIII has been a disaster of a FA signing.  They could cut him after this season and take a $9M cap hit.  

9. I think I'm starting to see why they didn't pay Payne.  It doesn't really seem to matter who the DL coach is, who the DC is, or who the HC is, that unit just hasn't been consistent at all.  And given it has 4 first round picks on it, (granted, one is hurt), it needs to be better.  I think there is a chance they could blow the whole thing up.  

10. I'm not sure how they fix the defense.  They kindof have who they have, and they have to figure it out.  I don't think firing Jack now is going to help.  Though I wouldn't be opposed to it.

11. A word on Davis.  He had several impactful plays yesterday, might have been his best game.  

12. Missing Curl really hurts the secondary. I like Forest.  But Forest is not Curl.  

I think the schedule might just prove out that both Detroit and Jax are actually really good teams.  

Which is one of the reasons why I kept saying "pump the brakes on the easy schedule" thing.  Jax might win their division.  Detroit might win 8-9 games also.  

I said we would be between 10-11 wins.  I still think they will get there, actually.  At lest, I'm going to keep thinking that for 2 more weeks, until they prove me wrong.  

I figured they would get through the first quarter of the season at 2-2 or 3-1 for my prediction to be correct.  They have to split with the Eagles and Cowboys.  Which they can do.  

The NFL is so week to week.  They could give the Eagles all they want and more.  Or they could lay another egg.

Unless our defense improves; Philly will sweep us.  I can see Dallas winning in 2 weeks regardless who is their qb. Giants will beat us once. At best we go 2-4 in division.

Are we going to totally rank? No. Ron will win games later in the season for us to finish with 6-7 wins. 8 wins is likely the ceiling for this team, not the floor.

eventually, the injuries will catch up to us and even the offense will

be more like the first half.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Once they pair Logan Paulsen with Logan Thomas, watch out NFL. 🙃

You pair Logan Thomas with Logan Paulsen you end up with....

images (8).jpg

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Watching the Eagles last night... That could be a rough one.

Wifes from Philly, huge Eagles fan.......you have no idea how rough this is going to be.

16 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

Ron was really rude to several reporters in his after game press conference.  Came off as so arrogant.  I was shocked.

Would love to see him pissed off...didn't see the presser and don't know the context but arrogant in the sense "what we are doing works" is not good though.

3 hours ago, PolarExpress said:

Ron was really rude to several reporters in his after game press conference.  Came off as so arrogant.  I was shocked.

Unfortunately for him his ability to shrugg off our weaknesses as if they are fixable will disapate pretty soon and he'll be under heavy scrutiny the rest of the year if things don't change. Based on his personality I'm not sure he can handle what's about to be unleashed on him.

Pull a miracle out against the Eagles and it all goes away.b

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

funny how the offense is improved without any investments while the defense has years and years of top picks and still considered a joke. 

Scott Turner is McVay 2.0.  We will regret letting him go while we keep old farts who are used to defense in the early 2000s

I wouldn't say that.  Wentz, Jahan, Robinson (when he comes back), and a healthy Samuel are a massive upgrade.  

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn't say that.  Wentz, Jahan, Robinson (when he comes back), and a healthy Samuel are a massive upgrade.  

only 1st rounder and a 4th rounder.  Outside of McLaurin (3rd) and Gibson (3rd), what else? The OL is made up of a bunch of late rounders

10 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

You pair Logan Thomas with Logan Paulsen you end up with....

images (8).jpg

Wifes from Philly, huge Eagles fan.......you have no idea how rough this is going to be.

I feel you.  My wife's entire family (both sides) are from Philly.  

All is lost.

12 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

They excel offensively where we are vulnerable defensively.  Not a good matchup for us at all right now.  Could very well get ugly

Which means it'll probably be a tossup. Then everybody will be back on the bandwagon, even though the team won't go anywhere even if they make it to the paloffs. 

It'd be awesome for the season to go year 2 Spurrier but that's not how things work in Danny Boy Land. It's more like "We're close!!!" even when it's obviously not even close to being true. 

Edited by SkinsFTW

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I see the high grades for both tackles as a real head scratcher.  I recall more than one occasion where both of our tackles were beaten like a drum on the same snap in the first half.

They played better in the second half because Hutchinson got hurt. He was absolutely embarrassing both of them in the first half.

• Like 1