Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just saw that. Out for the year. Feel awful for him.

Yeah, it’s terrible. From a purely rational viewpoint, assuming the timeline didn’t effect his chances of recovery, he’s “lucky” he wasn’t diagnosed till after the draft. He gets that 2nd round contract at least no matter what happens, and with that pedigree he’ll get his fair shot whenever he returns. If he had fallen due to a cancer diagnosis, which would have undoubtedly happened, we’d be talking about a 4th-6th round pedigree probably which isn’t a guarantee of anything even if he is the exact same guy. Just the reality of the league. He’ll get more chances to get up to speed on a 2nd round contract.

So hopefully he gets to bounce back next year at full strength post-ACL and post-cancer recovery. Sounds like he has a very high chance at fully beating it given when they caught it and the type of Leukemia it is, luckily. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Yeah, it’s terrible. From a purely rational viewpoint, assuming the timeline didn’t effect his chances of recovery, he’s “lucky” he wasn’t diagnosed till after the draft. He gets that 2nd round contract at least no matter what happens, and with that pedigree he’ll get his fair shot whenever he returns. If he had fallen due to a cancer diagnosis, which would have undoubtedly happened, we’d be talking about a 4th-6th round pedigree probably which isn’t a guarantee of anything even if he is the exact same guy. Just the reality of the league. He’ll get more chances to get up to speed on a 2nd round contract.

So hopefully he gets to bounce back next year at full strength post-ACL and post-cancer recovery. Sounds like he has a very high chance at fully beating it given when they caught it and the type of Leukemia it is, luckily. 

I'm not sure he would have been drafted.  Maybe in the 6th or 7th.  It's cold and it's brutal, but you're completely right.  He's massively lucky he was diagnosed after he was drafted and signed his contract.  At the very, very least, he has some of the best health care available to him in the world.  

I hope he beats it and comes back and has a great career.  Rooting for him.  

I agree it’s extremely unlikely he’s already better than McLaurin, obviously. But man would that give us an insane duo. I envision a situation like when the Steelers had prime Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders (in terms of modern stud “smaller” WRs that paired well together). 

But still this constant drumbeat that he doesn’t look like a rookie reminds me big time of McLaurin’s rookie year so that’s a great sign. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Ok...this is the "hype is a little too much moment". Let's take a cold shower and cool off.

Yeah, whenever a draft pick gets hyped up here, it's the kiss of death. I Just don't buy the hype when a guy hasn't even put his pads on yet. Not being negative towards any positive feedback from Dotson, Wentz, or any other new additions (Curtis Samuel included). I'll wait to see some competition, at full speed, with pads and tackling. If he's smokin' Fuller, WJ III, & St.Juicy then I'm in.

They absolutely must have +2 WRs to change that offense. Once they get confirmation, put them in bubble wrap until Week 1.

This pick was a head scratcher at first.

Now I'm scratching my head why I didn't notice how good this kid was previously.

Granted he didn't have good quarterback play at PSU, so that definitely plays a factor, but he was literally not on my radar at all and I follow Saturday football.  

I'm perfectly fine with the hype machine coming from other players.  It's when the media anoints someone... 

His hands are freakishly good and he's got that fearlessness and aggression to be a star.  Maybe they just mean he is special and it's based off those kinds of innate qualities that can't really be developed in the time frame of an NFL career.

But I cringe a little bit at the hype because I am pretty sure he is going to get big boyed in the NFL next season.  He is very thin and lacking in functional strength.  Terry and other guys who had immediate success like Chase and Jefferson and Metcalf and Samuel are tanks who came into the NFL with dominant stength.  Many of the skinny guys like Hollywood Brown and Jeudy and Ridley took time to adjust to the NFL.

• Like 2

I'm all for hearing good things, but the over the top stuff this early just has me rolling my eyes. If he looked great in shorts, just say he looked great in shorts. Don't label a dude as better than Terry when all he has done is catch passes against air, and that is with everyone knowing the real challenge for him will be press coverage and contact.

For all we know however, the source could be a rookie who never had another NFL player to compare him with while Terry was holding out, so Jahan only had to look better than a practice limited Samuel and Brown. Easy to see him looking the best under that light.

A lot of possible moving parts here. I hope he continues to look good in TC as that will mean a good bit more than just playing open air catch.

Edited by FootballZombie

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

His hands are freakishly good and he's got that fearlessness and aggression to be a star.  Maybe they just mean he is special and it's based off those kinds of innate qualities that can't really be developed in the time frame of an NFL career.

But I cringe a little bit at the hype because I am pretty sure he is going to get big boyed in the NFL next season.  He is very thin and lacking in functional strength.  Terry and other guys who had immediate success like Chase and Jefferson and Metcalf and Samuel are tanks who came into the NFL with dominant stength.  Many of the skinny guys like Hollywood Brown and Jeudy and Ridley took time to adjust to the NFL.

Justin Jefferson is an interesting case.   Coming out of college he had some of the same concerns as Dotson about how he would handle press coverage.  Like Dotson his college stats against press coverage were underwhelming---not horrible by any means, but not good enough to make you confident it wouldn't be an issue in the NFL.  That said, Jefferson is 6'1 203 pounds vs. Dotson at 5'11 and 184 pounds so he is two inches taller and 19 pounds heavier.  Hopefully Dotson can transition well.

Brian Mitchell loves to tell a story about how when Desmond Howard first practiced after a long holdout, the players knew that Howard couldn't cut it and wouldn't make it as a WR.  Sometimes the players just know. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Brian Mitchell loves to tell a story about how when Desmond Howard first practiced after a long holdout, the players knew that Howard couldn't cut it and wouldn't make it as a WR.  Sometimes the players just know. 

I remember that story. One of the long line of failed Casserly 1st rounders and abysmal drafts. The 1990's had entire draft classes bust pretty much immediately.

Lots of 1st rounders that came into the league and simply could not play. How bad was the draft evaluation that you didn't realize they would be out of the league within years?

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I generally agree with the point, but I'm not sure if Brown, Ridley, and Jeudy really tell that story. Brown had 7 TDs his rookie season, Ridley had 10 TDs his rookie season, and Jeudy didn't do much of anything his rookie season and still hasn't done much of anything.