Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I pretty much agree, but I think the thing with X is that it's usually harder to play since beating good press coverage (especially in the NFL) is tough and can be a somewhat rare skill for a receiver to have. So if you have a guy who can play any WR spot, including X, then in a vacuum he's probably going to be seen as more valuable overall.

Of course that also depends on the receiver in question. Obviously an elite Y or Z guy is going to be more valuable than a mediocre X. Hence why I said "in a vacuum".

Beating press is a great skill to have.  But for example I'd take Tyreek Hill or Justin Jefferson versus a Pierre Garcon anyday of the week among other X receivers. 

The main reason why I got into that is I was responding to the point that since Jahan isn't an X receiver that feeds into him being overdrafted in the first round.  IMO its not so.

Heck thinking about the other receivers taken in the first:  Garret Wilson (might be slot in the pros), Drake London (maybe X but might be big slot), Olave (Z), Williams (Z-slot) then they all would be overdrafted using the same theory. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Beating press is a great skill to have.  But for example I'd take Tyeek Hill or Justin Jefferson versus a Pierre Garcon anyday of the week among other X receivers. 

The main reason why I got into that is I was responding to the point that since Jahan isn't an X receiver that feeds into him being overdrafted in the first round.  IMO its not so.

Heck thinking about the other receivers taken in the first:  Garret Wilson (might be slot in the pros), Drake London (maybe X but might be big slot), Olave (Z), Williams (Z-slot) then they all would be overdrafted using the same theory. 

Agreed. I also think there's sometimes a tendency to assign NFL WR positions to guys based on their physical traits. Yeah, being 6'4 225lbs is going to give you a nice size advantage vs press from a 5'11 185lb CB, but it's not the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of big WRs who can't beat press well and plenty of smaller guys who can.

Dotson doesn't have the size, but I think he does have the feet, hands, and quickness to beat press in the NFL. I'm definitely interested in seeing him lined up as an X. I'm sure it will happen sometimes. 

• Like 4

On 5/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

In Dotson, 22, the Washington Commanders seem to have a mature, polished wideout who’s ready to produce. He was the 16th draft pick — and, as it turned out, the fifth wide receiver taken. While analysts have concerns about his size (5-foot-11, 182 pounds) and strength, they also gush about his hands (“Best in the draft,” said NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah) and catch radius (“Maybe the largest . . . of any sub-5-foot-11 receiver I have ever scouted,” wrote Dane Brugler of the Athletic).

In a way, Dotson has been preparing for this his whole life. When he was 3 or 4, he said, he went to the park with his older cousins to play catch — and one of them forced him to do 10 push-ups for each drop.

“I got tired of that real quick,” Dotson deadpanned.

His hands were too good to do push-ups.  Otherwise strength wouldn't be a question...haha.

• Haha 3

Jameson Williams likely to begin on the PUP list. 

https://detroitsportsnation.com/dan-campbell-gives-bad-news-regarding-wr-jameson-williams/wgbrady/nfl/detroit-lions-news/06/09/2022/279850/

I feel like this was expected.

After watching Dotson while he was at Penn State, I was still thrilled we got him. I think a lot of people are starting to come around on him. Can't wait to see the bandwagon fill up once we get into the season. 

• Thumb up 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:09 PM, duffy said:

https://detroitsportsnation.com/dan-campbell-gives-bad-news-regarding-wr-jameson-williams/wgbrady/nfl/detroit-lions-news/06/09/2022/279850/

After watching Dotson while he was at Penn State, I was still thrilled we got him. I think a lot of people are starting to come around on him. Can't wait to see the bandwagon fill up once we get into the season. 

I was crushed on Twitter saying that he was extremely talented but he has true concerns against press.  Everyone kept going back to the Ohio State game, I'm assuming they looked at stats and were like OH MY GAWD LOOK WHAT HE DIDZ AGAINST OHIO STATE.  I reminded them Ohio States S/DB were not as good as they normally are and resulted in them being in zone coverages more often than not.  I'm still concerned for him in press and worry we have a lot of speed but not enough size if a team decides to press/jam.  He has terrific hands but it still remains a concern of mine until proven otherwise.  Hopefully I get to eat a ton of crow this season.

• Thumb up 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:09 PM, duffy said:

This was expected.  He injured his knee this year.  It will be a minimum of October or more likely November when he can get out there and be productive.  And we have no idea if he will get all of his explosiveness or top end speed back this year.  He might.  He might not.  (I have the same concern for both Chase and Thomas)

ACL recoveries are now more standard but they can still go terribly wrong.  We drafted Love and he never played a down.  

• Thumb up 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, Commander_N_Chief said:

I was crushed on Twitter saying that he was extremely talented but he has true concerns against press.  Everyone kept going back to the Ohio State game, I'm assuming they looked at stats and were like OH MY GAWD LOOK WHAT HE DIDZ AGAINST OHIO STATE.  I reminded them Ohio States S/DB were not as good as they normally are and resulted in them being in zone coverages more often than not.  I'm still concerned for him in press and worry we have a lot of speed but not enough size if a team decides to press/jam.  He has terrific hands but it still remains a concern of mine until proven otherwise.  Hopefully I get to eat a ton of crow this season.

I feel like Terry McLaurln is the X WR who is going to have to beat press.   With your number 2 WR's  you can put them in motion or put them in the slot (where they are lined up behind the Line of Scrimmage and cannot be pressed).  

17 hours ago, philibusters said:

I feel like Terry McLaurln is the X WR who is going to have to beat press.   With your number 2 WR's  you can put them in motion or put them in the slot (where they are lined up behind the Line of Scrimmage and cannot be pressed).  

Unfortunately my response to that is still the same.  If he's having to be moved around to be schemed open, we over reached.  We also have another receiver that we already will have to scheme open in Curtis Samuels(granted that's if he ever gets back on the field healthy for consecutive weeks...which based on training camp is still a downward trend to not happening.  

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s any reason to be worried that Dotson will need to be schemed open (mind you, some of the best skill players in the league exist in offenses where they’re schemed open—I’m referring to the idea that he’d HAVE to be schemed open—implying he can’t beat coverage. I don’t think that’s the case.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t think there’s any reason to be worried that Dotson will need to be schemed open (mind you, some of the best skill players in the league exist in offenses where they’re schemed open—I’m referring to the idea that he’d HAVE to be schemed open—implying he can’t beat coverage. I don’t think that’s the case.)

He might be schemed to often get free releases at the line? In college, press coverage was his weakness.

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

He might be schemed to often get free releases at the line? In college, press coverage was his weakness.

Most prospects aren’t able to beat press at an NFL-ready level coming out, I’d want to see him fail to pick it up and apply it as a pro before I’d worry about it long term. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Commander_N_Chief said:

Unfortunately my response to that is still the same.  If he's having to be moved around to be schemed open, we over reached.  We also have another receiver that we already will have to scheme open in Curtis Samuels(granted that's if he ever gets back on the field healthy for consecutive weeks...which based on training camp is still a downward trend to not happening.  

Literally every good receiver gets moved around. Watch the Chiefs play, Tyreek Hill is basically running a marathon with all his pre snap motions.

Pickett could go 3800/22/14 on a Steelers team above .500 and probably win OROY unless a RB or WR really pops off

Unless McLaurin doesn’t play I have a hard time seeing Dotson with the opportunity to put up those kind of numbers. Olave, Wilson, London, even Skyy Moore…I could see Dotson surprising people but these guys could all be their teams’ WR1’s due to talent or circumstance.