Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at the Oscars

Cooked Crack

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I dunno man, I think @justice98 is on to something here.

Will is at least pretending to be genuinely laughing while Jada clearly took it very personal and was pissed off.  It definitely looks like he was trying to make up for the fact that she was offended by a joke he took on the chin, so he went and tried to make up for it, only making the situation much worse.

Yea know, I said earlier that i believe he made up his mind to go on stage soon as Chris made the joke, but knew the cameras would be on him immediately and had to talk to Jada first before doing it. 

There's no way he went up there without talking to Jada first and getting her approval, I don't believe that until its confirmed.  

I'm more likely to believe that then Jada calling him out and having to "make up for it".

Just now, Dan T. said:

Yeah, by last night's standards, Ricky Gervais would have been murdered five years ago.

I'd be curious his take on it. From memory, Gervais called out racists/bigots like Mel Gibson and the Hollywood elite for acting spoiled. I don't recall him singling anyone's wife out. 

28 minutes ago, Mooka said:

That's not how publicity works. 

No one cares about the Oscars or who wins anymore and no one watches it. 

The entire planet is watching him smack Chris Rock on stage and there's a million memes on everyone's social media within minutes. 

(the ON STAGE part is key btw) 

That was 100% not pre-planned.

@tshile I think you on to something in regards to Will finally snapping, in context that up to this point pretty all jokes on his family have been about their actions. 

This one they took as being related to a health matter, I can see that being a final straw, especially since Rock has a history of coming after them in awards shows before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea know, I said earlier that i believe he made up his mind to go on stage soon as Chris made the joke, but knew the cameras would be on him immediately and had to talk to Jada first before doing it. 

There's no way he went up there without talking to Jada first and getting her approval, I don't believe that until its confirmed.  

I'm more likely to believe that then Jada calling him out and having to "make up for it".

I didn't say anything about her calling him out, it seemed to transpire too quick for all that anyways.  Unless you mean him reading her facial expression to mean 'calling him out'.  I doubt she expected or called for him to go up there and do that.  It's rather obvious she 'wears the pants' in the relationship and I'm sure he's taken many other actions before off the strength of her facial expressions without needing to be told.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn't say anything about her calling him out, it seemed to transpire too quick for all that anyways.  Unless you mean him reading her facial expression to mean 'calling him out'.  I doubt she expected or called for him to go up there and do that.  It's rather obvious she 'wears the pants' in the relationship and I'm sure he's taken many other actions before off the strength of her facial expressions without needing to be told.

Yea, to be clear, I don't believe Jada told him to do it, I believe Will asked her if it was okay first, and she said yes (even if it was a simple head nodd off-camera). 

There's no footage that I can tell of those two between the time the joke landed with camera on Will and when he walked on stage, and I haven't seen them or anyone talk about their exchange, if any, before he went up there.

Notice in the video he's not looking at Jada while he's "laughing", so I don't think he even saw her initial reaction that we all did.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, gbear said:

I thought my wife's reaction was completely different from what I see in the media and on this board, but probably right on. She asked how Chris Rock (who did a whole show on Black womens' hair and what it means culturally) could think it OK to joke about another Black woman's hair, especially one with a medical condition causing it.  Check out Good Hair (HBO special hosted by Chris Rock), and you may get better idea why jokes about a black woman's hair are a bad idea.  It is worth watching to get a better idea if you don't know the culture and history behind Black women's hair styles. 

I wonder how many posting on here about how crazy it is to think they would be upset by jokes about it understand how much of a Black woman's social identity is tied up in their hair.  There may be more of a push now for natural hair looks, but that is very recent and not how that generation grew up.

Should he have hit him? No.  Should Chris Rock have known better? Yes.

I mean, it's a ****ing joke.  Who gives a **** about that other show you are talking about?

Have you never seen standups or roasts before?  Like 99% of the material is offensive as **** unless you are watching someone like Gabriel Iglesia, who is also funny as **** and very clean.

I guess we will never see Will Smith on Comedy Central roasts because he would murder someone.

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Will Smith went from laughing at the joke, to slapping him on stage, to crying to justifying it by claiming love makes you do crazy ****. Dude is ****ed up big time. 

“Love made me do it” 

said every abusive spouse ever. Not saying Will is an abusive spouse I’m saying it’s a **** excuse he gave 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I guess we will never see Will Smith on Comedy Central roasts because he would murder someone.

On contray, this almost assures that he will be on a roast to try to make up for this at some point in the future. 

It may be 5-10 years from now and part of the joke will be Jada being there to see if she waves off killing anyone.

Edited by Renegade7

My conflicting takes...

1. What Will Smith did was knee-jerk, petty, and violent. What he said during his acceptance speech was hypocritical and self-serving. He could have waited and sent a message to Rock during his speech and it might have had a much more meaningful effect.

Too many Hollywood celebs are too used to being treated like royalty and it showed last night. Get off your high horses and get some thicker skin.

2. The Oscars ceremony is not a roast. It's a very formal recognition of industry effort. It's an internationally-watched tribute. Comedians have gone a little too rogue over the last 5-10 years and last night a reset button was pushed. I know the joke wasn't THAT bad but it still deserved SOME backlash. 

So there you have it. I'm torn. It should not have gone down the way it did but we might see a little more respect from Oscar hosts in the future.

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Again, where is the benefit for Will Smith in this though?  Why would he deliberately ruin what should have been the biggest night of his career just to save the Oscars ratings?

I had no clue Will Smith was going to get an award or anything and didn't even know the oscars were on last night.

Until this morning.

And now I know lol.

Mission accomplished.

• Like 2

A91D4B55-AAD9-4763-BBB3-0EF4F0C066D9.jpeg.b8ccd6c30e515c4222846e164ad962b4.jpeg

8 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I had no clue Will Smith was going to get an award or anything and didn't even know the oscars were on last night.

Until this morning.

And now I know lol.

Mission accomplished.

that’s fine but that doesn’t help Will Smith at all by tarnishing his biggest night and potentially hurting future opportunities 

Man please, Will was wrong all day!!!!

If he and Chris were friends as they presented themselves to be before the Oscar’s, then there wouldn’t have been a joke about Jada being bald. Chris would have known already not to mess with her. 

Every comedian is wrong when they make a joke and poke fun, but that’s what makes the joke funny. Poking fun at the seriousness of life. 

If Will wanted to get him, he could have just grabbed the mic, joked about Rock’s failed marriage, and sat back down.

Will Smith came through comedy and pokes fun at life. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Should have checked Chris back stage where no one could see with dignity. Or work that joke out on Red Table Talks. LMAO!!!!

Edited by ClaytoAli

11 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Until this morning.

And now I know lol.

Mission accomplished.

I also didn't care about this or know that he was in line to win that award.

But it still doesn't seem like a net positive move for Smith to me.  Also the way it went down with Rock, who is an awful actor, didn't appear to be in on it at all.