Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

Valieva is 4th, there will be a medal ceremony. I'm wondering if she didn't fall on purpose to allow her 2 teammates to collect her medals on the podium ? (she never missed a quad, a triple or a combo during all training sessions and compulsory figures).

Shame on her and the IOC for handling this stuation the worst possible way. The greatest waist of talent.

Latest IOC blunder: Ski-cross – The leader of the Swiss ski-crossers: “Of course Fanny Smith was robbed!

Props to Daniela Maier who was awarded the bronze medal, she sided with Smith.👏

Edited by FrFan

"No athlete should receive this type of message! These people have no idea of all the sacrifices we make every day for our sport. Every athlete should be supported and not shamed! Because yes I too received this kind of message after my 'disappointing 4th place'"

Imagine getting that worked up about Olympic skiing.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

"No athlete should receive this type of message! These people have no idea of all the sacrifices we make every day for our sport. Every athlete should be supported and not shamed! Because yes I too received this kind of message after my 'disappointing 4th place'"

Tell me you own a second home in Aspen without telling me you own a second home in Aspen. Imagine getting that worked up over downhill skiing.  

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

It is odd that some athletes pay any attention to internet trolls.

If they are not someone you seek out for advice, why would you pay attention to their criticism.

we live in a new age now where you can't just dismiss this as "ignorezzzz"

it's legit cyberbullying and not as easy as "grow thicker skin"

That said I do think bad things like that fuel the fire for athletes so the haters, keep chirping away

it will just motivate them to work harder and train better!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

That said I do think bad things like that fuel the fire for athletes so the haters, keep chirping away

I don't care to hear Mike Tirico lecturing anyone about anything, especially considering that he is a sexual offender who had the good fortune to get busted for it before the MeToo movement. He looks like a non-threatening muppet, but in reality he was hitting on his fellow ESPN employees and telling his wife's friends that he wanted to bang them.

Just shut up, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

If she had been banned the media would have be moaning about the lost opportunity for the innocent child to compete. If she was flawless in the final they would have celebrated her artistry and placed a teeny tiny asterisk.

It’s easy to attack her entourage and CAS now because it all blew up. Whatever is good for ratings.

It was only the former athletes hard line that got NBC to take the stance that she should not be allowed.

55 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

It’s not about a thicker skin. Don’t read it and don’t respond to it.

I am involved in a sport at a national level and the ignorant, mean and sometimes outright hateful comments when the team loses make you sick to your stomach. But you can’t engage with those ****ers.

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

I am involved in a sport at a national level and the ignorant, mean and sometimes outright hateful comments when the team loses make you sick to your stomach. But you can’t engage with those ****ers.

It happens at all levels. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Despite what commercials say or a handful of athletes might claim, it's not really the case. 

You guys really picking on a person that clearly has a mental thing going on, for pointing out she’s being bullied on Twitter for no reason? (I don’t even find the criticism remotely close to accurate much less fair, she got out of the way immediately and ids not about not winning any medals it’s about being the best skier of all time and failing to not be DQ’d from every single event)

The advice you have for her at this moment is to have thicker skin?

yesh. 

The difference in responses to athletes is weird. Both Simone Biles and Shiffrin go through problems where they just can't get dialed in for whatever reason. Biles sits out matches and gets criticized for not being a "team player" or whatever, but the wagons rightly get circled. Shiffrin tries to power through it and can't get into form, she gets criticized for not just sitting it out or whatever. The response here is "stop caring about it lol".

I've criticized athletes before, as have many here. Probably a third of the posts on the forum is devoted to zingers towards players. But I'm never going to hunt down players on social to get under their skin. I draw the line there, for whatever that line is worth.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 11:01 AM, ixcuincle said:

Yes, in some cases that will be a response.

In other cases, it will force them to withdraw from competition, retire prematurely, and cause mental health disorders.

It seems like these types of stories are happening every week… 

Norway tops Beijing 2022 medal table after record-breaking performance

It's official. Norway is really good at the Winter Olympics.

With a population of just over five million people, the European country has continued to punch above its weight at Beijing 2022, finishing way above the rest in the medal table.

Norway tallied the most gold medals, 16, and the highest total number of medals, 37, of all the delegations competing this month.

"Norway finished at the top of the Beijing Winter Olympics medal table, just as the Norway team did four years ago at Pyeongchang 2018," said Simon Gleave, head of sports analysis at data provider Nielsen Gracenote.

"The Norwegian team won two fewer medals than their Olympic record total of 39 achieved in 2018 but broke the Olympic gold medal record by winning 16. Norway won medals in nine of the 15 sports at Beijing 2022."

The Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) claimed the second highest tally of medals, 32, with Germany winning the second highest tally of golds, 12.

Meanwhile, Team China claimed nine golds and a total of 15 medals, delivering its best ever result at a Winter Olympics -- and ranking above the United States.

Team USA managed eight golds, 10 silver and seven bronze, for a total of 25 medals at the Games.

Both New Zealand and Australia as well as Belgium had a Winter Games to remember.

"New Zealand and Australia both had a record-breaking Winter Olympics, winning three and four medals respectively," said Gleave.

Click on the link for the full article