Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

On 2/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, tshile said:

WHY ARE RUSSIANS ALLOWED IN THE OLYMPICS AT ALL

The Russian athletes are allowed to compete because the idea was not to punish individuals for the behavior of this state. But then this 15-year old fails a drug test and the Russian state drug agency that caused all the trouble gave her a pass. How the **** were they allowed to have a say anything given their history?

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Anyone watching mens half pipe?  The announcer is trashing the judges and the crowd booed loudly after Hiranos score was given.  One announcer was sure we’d see a historic score and he didn’t even move into first. 

Shameful score from the US judge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

US judge was the low score, and outrageous, but the other scores weren’t great either.  They got it right on his last run though.  

The right guy won the gold for sure. Both those runs were ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The right guy won the gold for sure. Both those runs were ridiculous. 

I know next to nothing about snowboarding, and even I could tell his runs were head and shoulders above the others.  Dude looked like a video game and landed everything clean.  

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

I know next to nothing about snowboarding, and even I could tell his runs were head and shoulders above the others.  Dude looked like a video game and landed everything clean.  

I'm an expert snowboarding judge. I watch at least once, maybe twice every four years (if I happen to catch X-games). Dude that won is "five feet nothing. 100 and nothing." It was insane. The announcer going off like that was right. 

• Haha 2

Really good for the Hirano guy to do his third run cleanly.  It would have been a travesty had he kept the Silver position. "Judges grenaded their credibility" was the quote of the night. 

I couldn't tell what was spectacular about Scotty James run...

Really great to see Shaun White out there at 35 and pull 4th place...

US upset in team mixed aeriels is the best result of the day.  China's somersault landing was amazing... 

3 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

That's my favorite too...I can't imagine how exhausting that must be....and to have to shoot on top of it

I like watched them fall over when they cross the finish line.  I couldn’t even tell you why, but seeing a few of these trained snow killers laying face down in the snow is pleasing.  

• Haha 2

The biathlon track is an easy one in terms of profile, what makes it difficult here is that it requires a constant effort all track long. There is no real portion of track where you can recover, many athletes are not comfortable with it.

Edited by FrFan

Per ESPN, the first event was held at Soldier Field in 1936 -- and crushed ice was used for the jumping and landing areas. Two more events were held in 1937 and 1938, and they got so popular that the entire field was packed with fans, sometimes up to 60,000:

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 2/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, bearrock said:

I meant more in the sense that it's no longer that simple to say athlete A's achievement is connected to their roots in country X.  These people are no longer a simple byproduct of one nation.  Set aside the root.  Many of the finest Olympic athletes train in countries other than the one they represent.  It's kind of silly to puff up with national pride at your country's rep when they often train at another country, coached by another nationality. (Except US, cause, you know, US rocks and we kick pinko commie asses).

So she's Dallas?  Then hell with her! 

She grew up in San Fransisco, and is going to attend Stanford. She won't say if she gave up her US citizenship. It's not like she grew up in China and just trained here.

The quote that irritates me most is her saying "When I'm in China, I'm Chinese, when I'm in America, I'm American." She made a choice. Stick with it, don't try to play both sides.

• Like 1

NBC's Winter Olympics ratings have ski-jumped straight into the toilet

The 2022 Winter Olympics are occurring at the moment—which you might need reminding of, given the ratings numbers NBC is apparently pulling for the event. Bloomberg reports tonight that the 2022 Games in Beijing are currently set to have the worst TV viewership in Olympics history, currently operating at roughly half of what the 2018 games in PyeongChang, South Korea four years ago.

To be fair to NBC, it clearly knew things weren’t going to be great this year going into the Games; the network, which paid $7.75 billion back in 2014 to secure broadcast rights to the Games through 2032, had already issued notices to advertisers before the Games even started to expect a lower-than-average return on investment for whatever big sacks of money they’d spent on ads. (Among other things, NBC skipped out on offering its usual expensive guarantees of certain viewership levels to major advertisers.)

There have been a few major factors that people are using to explain the dip. For one, there’s the whole political and diplomatic angle, with the United States declining to send official representatives to China for the Games, citing human rights abuses including the Chinese government’s treatment of the Uyghur people living within its borders. On a more prosaic level, the time zone difference between the States and China means NBC has to pick between airing events in the middle of the night, or holding them back until primetime (as results propagate wildly online). That’s all compounded by the pandemic of it all; last year’s make-up Summer Games in Japan also plummeted in viewership, marking record lows.

A few caveats here, though. For one, “low ratings” doesn’t mean NBC didn’t kick seven kinds of hell out of every other offering in primetime this past week; fewer people might be watching them, but these are still the Olympics we’re talking about.

Click on the link for the full article