Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

On 1/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, Simmsy said:

Does anyone really care about the Olympics anymore. When I was a child (I'm 37), everything stopped for the Olympics. No shows would dare put anything worthwhile on tv with the Olmpics on. The news would tell you to leave the room because they're going to spoil the results of the events and we would do it. Entire families would sit in front of the tv and cheer on America!

I don't care about the Olympics, especially the boring ass winter Olympics. Give me some curling and ice jousting, we'll call it good.

This is where I am.  Used to love the Olympics.  Probably would be somewhat interested in the Summer Olympics but thats it.  

**** China, anyway.  I think the fact that they're being held there also adds to not being interested.  

• Thanks 1

I'm not feeling it for this one either. Not sure why. Pairs figure skating usually has me interested, but last night I couldn't pay attention to it. Once speed skating gets going, I might be up for it, but that's about all I'm really looking forward to.

• Like 1

Winter Olympics: TV reporter dragged away by Chinese security official live on air

A TV reporter was manhandled and dragged away by a Winter Olympics security official live on air during a broadcast from Beijing.

Sjoerd den Daas was accosted by the official, who was wearing a red armband, as he worked for Dutch broadcaster NOS covering the games.

The journalist tried to continue broadcasting as the official pushed him away from the camera, before the TV station cut back to the studio.

The TV station took to Twitter to say that the reporter was “fine” and he returned to the air minutes later to complete his broadcast.

“Our correspondent (den Daas) was pulled away from the camera by security guards at 12:00 pm live in the NOS Journaal. Unfortunately, this is increasingly becoming a daily reality for journalists in China. He is fine and was able to finish his story a few minutes later,” they wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Was just reading on CNN about artificial snow. I honestly think that we should consider canceling the Winter Olympics until we as a world tackle climate change. It seems so brainless to make snow, which is super energy intensive, and further damage the planet. Wastes tons of water too. At least get rid of the sports, mainly skiing, that require lots of snow.

19 hours ago, China said:

Winter Olympics: TV reporter dragged away by Chinese security official live on air

A TV reporter was manhandled and dragged away by a Winter Olympics security official live on air during a broadcast from Beijing.

Sjoerd den Daas was accosted by the official, who was wearing a red armband, as he worked for Dutch broadcaster NOS covering the games.

The journalist tried to continue broadcasting as the official pushed him away from the camera, before the TV station cut back to the studio.

The TV station took to Twitter to say that the reporter was “fine” and he returned to the air minutes later to complete his broadcast.

“Our correspondent (den Daas) was pulled away from the camera by security guards at 12:00 pm live in the NOS Journaal. Unfortunately, this is increasingly becoming a daily reality for journalists in China. He is fine and was able to finish his story a few minutes later,” they wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

This right here is why I'm not watching.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Authoritarian countries shouldn't be allowed to host the Olympics, it is beyond whack to give China what it wants in regards to good PR, they are pushing resources into every corner of the internet to jus that in the middle if them commiting genocide in the western part of their country.

For that reason alone, we should all be boycotting these Olympics, US diplomats already have.

Additionally, going forward, no one should be allowed to host the Olympics unless they already have the venues to support it, stop having countries build stuff they don't have or need to do this, plenty of cities already have what's neccesary and have already hosted the Olympics. 

On 2/5/2022 at 8:53 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

Or maybe just hold the Olympics somewhere with lots of snow?  Or just cancel the whole thing, that seems reasonable too. 

Ikr?  Didn't Bejing host the summer games in 2008?  With global warming kicking in overdrive, it makes no sense awarding the winter games to a city that has to mass produce all the snow themselves.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/04/weather/artificial-snow-beijing-olympics-climate/index.html

Every winter games should be above a certain northern latitude line instead of trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No where on the planet? 

Absolutely nowhere. 

I was using hyperbole, but what I meant is that there are very few major cities on the planet with consistent significant snowfall every year that could host a winter Olympics without having to use snow-making machines for skiing and various other events.