Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

USA takes 1 and 2 in monobob. Not my favorite sport, but I'll always be happy about scoring in whatever.

Ice dancing doesn't interest me too much compared to whatever the call the other event for pairs figure skating. I love watching 2 people gracefully slide across the ice in hitting jumps  and spins in perfect tandem. Singles figure skating isn't interesting unless they're trying to set records for most and biggest jumps.

Edited by NickyJ

The IOC, along with other organizations, has a ‘right to compete’ rule for athletes until an athlete is actually suspended, or proven innocent.

What sometimes happens is that the competitor is persuaded to withdraw but if not the event goes forward with someone who probably shouldn’t be there.

Not holding a medal ceremony avoids the farce of giving a medal to someone who is probably going to have the medal taken away from her. Probably with lots of boos from the crowd too. And whatever medal ceremony they hold in the future would give some recognition to the winners rather than the usual fiasco of receiving it in the mail at some unknown later date.

25 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Not holding a medal ceremony avoids the farce of giving a medal to someone who is probably going to have the medal taken away from her. Probably with lots of boos from the crowd too. And whatever medal ceremony they hold in the future would give some recognition to the winners rather than the usual fiasco of receiving it in the mail at some unknown later date.

Right

and everyone else that’s spent their life working to be at this moment, is denied their chance to stand on the podium and receive a medal because a skater from a country categorically suspended for cheating, got caught cheating and is being allowed to compete anyways. 

i understand generally what they’re trying to do with these policies, but they’ve ruined this and screwed up bad. 

and they’re only in this position because they allowed the Russian athletes to compete under the ROC in the interest of “not punishing the athletes” 🙄

Messing things up for a lot of people under the guise of just being fair to a country with a history of cheating 🙄

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The Olympics are officially a joke.

Im coming to terms that all organized sport is now. It’s all about $$$/politics at some level.

Its not about the athletes… or the thrill of competition.

So I follow…. but I’m not any more invested than I am watching old cartoons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Doesn't it just mean that she could win a medal and not be on the stage/podium for the anthem?  

Nope, she must be suspended. She is the youngest and most talented competitor ever seen in her category, and it is quite disgusting to know she used PED.

Others who have been caught using Trimetazidine : Sun Yan (swimming), Zelimkhan Khadjiev (wrestling), Nadezhda Sergeeva (bobsleigh)

They never said she was cleared to receive a medal.  She will compete under a cloud of suspicion and potentially still at risk to lose medal.  The Court of Arbitrituon for Sports basically said, "Let here compete.  Strip her of the medal after the fact because there's not enough time to provide for a fair process."  She also did not test positive at Beijing...  its also possible that Russia is still cheating and switched in clean samples for dirty at Beijing. .

The issue is that everyone else’s Olympics are being ruined because of some misplaced desire to be overly fair to a person caught cheating, from a country banned for institutionalizing cheating 

In any other situation, I get it. 

this one? No. This is part of “uh you got institutionalizing cheating” thing. You’re lucky you even got to go at all.

least surprising thing of the decade:

super star skater from Russia, youngest to compete in any of this and winning first place, cheated

but let’s talk about what’s fair for her 🙄

(I’m absolutely willing to believe she has no idea she cheated, and russia did it to her without her knowledge. I got no issue accepting that)

(that changes how I feel about it all - not at all)

5 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Im coming to terms that all organized sport is now. It’s all about $$$/politics at some level.

Its not about the athletes… or the thrill of competition.

So I follow…. but I’m not any more invested than I am watching old cartoons.

It has been like this for a while, but it has become an absolute circus at this point. I feel no connection to these athletes, I just don't care.

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

They never said she was cleared to receive a medal.  She will compete under a cloud of suspicion and potentially still at risk to lose medal.  The Court of Arbitrituon for Sports basically said, "Let here compete.  Strip her of the medal after the fact because there's not enough time to provide for a fair process."  She also did not test positive at Beijing...  its also possible that Russia is still cheating and switched in clean samples for dirty at Beijing. .

From my understanding, there will be no medal ceremony until after we figure out what this all means. That means that all the other athletes that followed the rules also don't get to have their moment on the podium. How is it this girl is allowed to compete, but not Sha'Carri Richardson? Everyone is ignoring rules to let Russia cheat (again) because no one wants to upset Russia. China is allowed to buy athletes from other countries and have them win gold under a Chinese flag, this is not in the spirit of the Olympics. Seriously, what is the point of watching this?

I don't even want to start on Eileen Gu...

It’s not about being fair to her. She has not been banned yet. Until that happens she gets to compete unless she can be persuaded to withdraw. The lawyers will insist on it.

As for the other athletes on the podium, would they want to stand there while the crowd booed, or would it be better to have a celebration at some other event where it would be a positive environment.

Edited by Corcaigh

4 minutes ago, China said:

Can somebody explain to me why they have a point system in ski jumping and it isn't just who can jump the farthest?

I would also like an answer to this question.  I tend to dislike any sports with judges, because judges in sports are notorious for being completely full of ****.  Why add them to a sport when they aren’t absolutely necessary?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Having never watched the sport, I wouldn’t ponder that perhaps it is to account for weight differences?

🤔

39 minutes ago, China said:

Can somebody explain to me why they have a point system in ski jumping and it isn't just who can jump the farthest?

33 minutes ago, Destino said:

I would also like an answer to this question.  I tend to dislike any sports with judges, because judges in sports are notorious for being completely full of ****.  Why add them to a sport when they aren’t absolutely necessary?  

Each skier gets 60 points for hitting the average distance, known as the “K point,” plus or minus some points for how much longer or shorter they are from that mark. There are also some wind adjustments factored in.

Jumpers are then awarded style points, with a perfect score being worth 20 points; there are five judges, and the highest and lowest scores are thrown out, so on average, these style points comprise around 50 percent of one’s total score. (The deviation between distances is much greater than that between style points, though, so distance is a slightly bigger factor.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/why-does-olympic-ski-jumping-need-judges/283875/

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, Simmsy said:

The Olympics are officially a joke.

Since December the B sample has yet to be tested by the IOC !!! :stop:

In the mean time Valieva is claiming that she shared a contaminated glass of water with her grandfather 🙄. Link

Edited by FrFan

It's really no wonder why people don't pay attention to the Olympics as much. One thing I don't agree with is allowing Russian medals to be counted together. They should be at the bottom of the list as miscellaneous. This whole ROC thing is a sham. We all know that's Russia. Just because they don't have their flag or national anthem played doesn't mean we don't know who they are. Don't count the medals together in the standings. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2