Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIV Olympic Winter Games Thread

China

Skier suffers crash so bad that Olympic broadcasters cut away after her leg 'snaps'

WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT: US skier Nina O'Brien suffered a horrific crash on the women's giant slalom at the Winter Olympics on Monday morning before being stretchered off the mountain

US skier Nina O'Brien was stretchered off the mountain at the National Alpine Ski Centre in Yanqing after appearing to break her leg in a horrific crash just moments before the finish line.

Competing in the women's giant slalom at the ongoing 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, the 24-year-old was closing in on the finish when disaster struck.

Broadcasters were forced to cut away from footage to show views of the mountain after O'Brien lost her balance and crashed over the line - with her leg twisting 90 degrees.

O'Brien could be seen clutching her injured ankle after coming to a stop, but only had thoughts for others as she worried about causing a delay on the competition.

0_GettyImages-1238257906.jpg

0_GettyImages-1238257926.jpg

Click on the link for the full story

• Sad 3

I'm split on the Russian skater. On the one hand, she was given steroids and we can call it an open and closed book without giving it any more thought. On the other hand, the test was from the month before the Olympics. I'm assuming they've tested her many times since getting to China and she's tested clean, otherwise we'd be hearing about it. Should someone who's clean and competing fairly in the actual competition be stripped of her medals?

If I were one of the Russian skaters that missed the team because of her, I'd be up in arms. But that's a Russian skating championship problem. She's now competing with the rest of the world and is presumably completely roid free. Has the skill she's shown in her roid-free skating not earned the medals she is currently due to receive?

I dunno.

The American runner beng held out for weed in Korea was the wrong decision imo. But two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 1

I feel bad for the Russian skater. She’s 15 and one of the best in the world. She’s also very impressionable. She could have taken the substance knowingly, or because she was forced or someone could be slipping it into her food or etc……

The bad thing is, if she ever wins anything the rest of her life, the whole world will question her legitimacy. I don’t know that she is at the age that she realizes the weight of this on her life and career. 

if she failed, she shouldn’t skate. I don’t think the ROC should be involved at all. It is really crappy for other skaters to not get a chance to get on the podium if she’s involved. 

It would be like Aaron Rodgers testing positive for steroids, get suspended and fined, then changes his name to Karen Rodgers and is still allowed to play.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I'm split on the Russian skater. On the one hand, she was given steroids and we can call it an open and closed book without giving it any more thought. On the other hand, the test was from the month before the Olympics. I'm assuming they've tested her many times since getting to China and she's tested clean, otherwise we'd be hearing about it. Should someone who's clean and competing fairly in the actual competition be stripped of her medals?

If I were one of the Russian skaters that missed the team because of her, I'd be up in arms. But that's a Russian skating championship problem. She's now competing with the rest of the world and is presumably completely roid free. Has the skill she's shown in her roid-free skating not earned the medals she is currently due to receive?

I dunno.

The American runner beng held out for weed in Korea was the wrong decision imo. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Point of clarification.  It wasn't steroids.  It was trimetazidine.  Trimetazidine is "a drug typically prescribed to much older patients suffering from angina and other heart-related conditions."  It was added to WADA's list of prohibited substances in 2014. WADA categorizes it as "hormone and metabolic modulator," making it illegal for athletes in and out of competition.

TMZ is used in patients to treat chest pain stemming from a lack of blood supply and oxygen to the heart. It is not approved for use in the United States but is approved as an angina therapy in Europe.

"The drug helps in the metabolism of fatty acids. And by doing so, it can actually help the ability of the body to use oxygen, which can help performance and help relieve those chest pains brought on by the blocked blood vessels," Eugene DePasquale, a cardiologist with Keck Medicine of the University of Southern California, told NPR.

Link

'

• Like 1

A young US team choked that game away.  They had a 5 on 3 power play they didn't score on, gave up a tying goal in the last minute of regulation, and didn't score once in the shoot-out.  

You don't deserve to win if you can't hang in the clutch.

Too bad.  

Will be rooting for Japan and South Korea in the free skate.  Unfortunately, it will be very hard for them to overtake the Russians if they land even 3 out of 5 quad jumps. 

Recent reports are saying she had 3 different heart medications detected in the blood sample... yeah, that doesn't look good.  

Russia women took 1, 2 and 4th. With the confirmed doper in first 

Of course, no ceremonies until we figure out the extent of the cheating. 

glad we let ROC in. Wouldn’t want to unfairly punish Russia athletes, in a global competition of nations competition against each other, for playing for a country caught institutionalizing cheating/doping. 

• Thumb down 1

17 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I'm split on the Russian skater. On the one hand, she was given steroids and we can call it an open and closed book without giving it any more thought. On the other hand, the test was from the month before the Olympics. I'm assuming they've tested her many times since getting to China and she's tested clean, otherwise we'd be hearing about it. Should someone who's clean and competing fairly in the actual competition be stripped of her medals?

17 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I feel bad for the Russian skater. She’s 15 and one of the best in the world. She’s also very impressionable. She could have taken the substance knowingly, or because she was forced or someone could be slipping it into her food or etc……

The three heart drugs, in combination, is beyond an accident.  She was doped.  Whether she knew it or not is really immaterial.  Whoever gave her those drugs knew exactly what they were doing.

• Thumb up 1

I have no doubt that she was doped. My doubts are: Would the Olympic committee strip the medals from someone who has competed the full Olympic games without any failed doping tests at Olympic competitions? If she failed the test at the Olympics, it would be an open and shut book. But as someone with no knowledge of how long those drugs can influence a body, has her success in these Olympic games been a result of the drugs? If they haven't, I don't think it's so certain that they'd strip the medals from someone who truly was the best athlete in the competitions.

There's no place for doping in sports. But as it stands now, the doping affected Russia's championship competitions, not the Olympic competitions. The athletes have every reason to be distrustful of the Russian team, but I'm not so certain that their distrust will be enough to have the Olympic committee strip the medals from someone for something that didn't occur in an Olympic event. Not with the athlete having already participated in Olympic competitions.

Edited by NickyJ

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I have no doubt that she was doped. My doubts are: Should someone who has competed the full Olympic games without any failed doping tests be stripped of her medals? If she failed the test at the Olympics, it would be an open and shut book. But as someone with no knowledge of how long those drugs can influence a body, has her success in these Olympic games been a result of the drugs? If they haven't, is it right to strip the medals from someone who truly was the best athlete to compete?

There's no place for doping in sports. But as it stands now, the doping affected Russia's championship competitions, not the Olympic competitions. The athletes have every reason to be distrustful of the Russian team, but I'm not so certain that their distrust will be enough to have the Olympic committee strip the medals from someone for something that didn't occur in an Olympic event. Not with the athlete having already participated in Olympic competitions.

She should've never been allowed in to begin with. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@NickyJ

I may have thought like you, but the drug she tested positive for are banned at all times.  Not just "in competition".

I expect she will be stripped of her medal and the US broadcast should push the angle that if she's not stripped of a medal, something is fishy.  The CAS only claimed to rule on the narrow issue of allowing her to compete. .

On 2/16/2022 at 5:34 AM, Fan since a Fetus said:

This situation is on the IOC, why did they wait 6 weeks to release the test results ? What is sad is that she's so ahead of the others talent wise that she doesn't need PEDs. No other female athlete does it the way she does, and I'm not even talking about her age. She shouldn't have been allowed to compete in the first place, now the IOC threw the **** on the fan. All the competitions must end with a medal ceremony, denying it to other athletes is just ridiculous.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

SHES A ****ING CHEATER. Stop making excuses for the Russians. Any athlete with PEDS in their system should be BANNED from competition. That includes Chinese, Americans, Jamaicans and even Martians. 

Reading this and hearing it in the Cobra Commander voice in my head is fantastic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3