Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

To be fair nobody is Kenny Golladay. Its even reflected in Madden

Spoiler tag for NSFW language

Hide contents

Golladay just picking up from where he left off from last year.  If he can't score, he's just making sure nobody else is either

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

I like he’s someone the Steelers clearly wanted to keep around, and that’s about my only observation at the moment

They cut him and didn't sign him to their practice squad.

What signs are there that they wanted to keep him around?

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

He was a street free agent as he was one of the last cuts of the Steelers. 

Okay, maybe there's something there then? The Steelers aren't exactly a team without decent depth, so maybe this guy was a casualty to having too many options on the D-line.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:40 AM, redskinss said:

They cut him and didn't sign him to their practice squad.

What signs are there that they wanted to keep him around?

Yeah, it's kind of weird how quickly the team signed Jeter. Clearly he seems to be the same type of player as Mathis. But a rookie UDFA that neither Pittsburgh or even Washington bothered to add to their practice squad. He was option #1? Not a veteran. Not some guy on someone else's practice squad. But clearly they liked something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Yeah, it's kind of weird how quickly the team signed Jeter. Clearly he seems to be the same type of player as Mathis. But a rookie UDFA that neither Pittsburgh or even Washington bothered to add to their practice squad. He was option #1? Not a veteran. Not some guy on someone else's practice squad. But clearly they liked something.

personal preference for myself…not that it matters at all, youth over vet all day.  I think RR is kinda rollin with the youth movement as well

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

personal preference for myself…not that it matters at all, youth over vet all day.  I think RR is kinda rollin with the youth movement as well

It depends on the phase you are in as a team. This team is in that phase in which this year must be a playoff year. I'd rather lean more toward proven vets for depth, especially at DT. Nose tackles last a long time in the NFL - if folks remember Ted Washington, who was 375 lbs, he lasted until age 39. What happens as they get older is they can still be effective on a limited snap count but less effective when you ask more of them. 

• Like 2

I think in this case the youth over vet decision hinged upon Mr. Payne. Renting a vet can be a good thing if you're about to make a run. But losing a vet AND Payne in the following off season would hurt.  But if Jeter turns out to be a decent player they have a little more leeway in Darons contract decision. Sadly, with only 3 snaps under his belt, Mathis no longer offers that consolation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I think in this case the youth over vet decision hinged upon Mr. Payne. Renting a vet can be a good thing if you're about to make a run. But losing a vet AND Payne in the following off season would hurt.  But if Jeter turns out to be a decent player they have a little more leeway in Darons contract decision. Sadly, with only 3 snaps under his belt, Mathis no longer offers that consolation.

Until he got hurt, I figured that Mathis was just another DT that might replace Payne if he was not resigned. But after listening to Rico and other podcasters this week, Mathis's role this year was mainly to take on two blockers in the middle and clog running lanes. Not so much trying to get sacks, but unselfishly taking the heat, so Payne and Allen could feast. Not a true Nose tackle, but big-bodied like Swaggy was. Jeter seems like he fits the bill. Certainly looks it.

• Like 1