Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Basically, we never had that money to begin with. That money was an illusion. We were pretty cash strapped the moment we traded for Wentz and his 28 large.

PUP does not count against the cap in the offseason, but it does when the regular season begins. We had major contracts on PUP in Logan(6M) and Young(9). While the team was sitting on 15-ish Mil in cap space over the offseason, they knew full well that the bill would eventually come due so they had to sit on a stack. All the money we had was already earmarked.

The same is true of IR. Once the season starts, that tolls on the cap. All the guys we IR'd before cutdowns add up to a couple Mil. Add in the extra roster spot we gotta pay after big Phi's season ending injury and move to IR.

Then there is the practice squad. They count against the cap. They didn't exist in the offseason, but it does in the regular season. I think that's costing us like 4 mil up to this point, and will grow thru the season as we naturally rotate, cut guys and add new guys.

I'm pretty sure B-Robs contract counts against the cap as an extra player as he is not on the 52. That's another charge. Tiny tho.

Generally, you want to restructure higher priced folks who you want to keep longer term who are at least a year into their contracts. Not a lot of obvious options there. Fuller? Samuel? Schweitzer?

The big one is Wentz but the question is whether they feel comfortable making a longer commitment to him

2 hours ago, method man said:

Generally, you want to restructure higher priced folks who you want to keep longer term who are at least a year into their contracts. Not a lot of obvious options there. Fuller? Samuel? Schweitzer?

The big one is Wentz but the question is whether they feel comfortable making a longer commitment to him

I’ve said this earlier but we seemed to make a conscious decision not to restructure deals to create space and push money out. With that in mind we’ll be dumping some bigger contracts in 2023, most notably at CB think.

3 hours ago, method man said:

Fuller needs to be gone after this year.  He's lost at least two steps.  Can only play zone.  Athletically, he can't cut it anymore.

• Like 1

There’s little more than scraps left on the free agency availability list now. Could we look at veteran defensive players? Doubt it now.

What about a move for Deion Jones once his 4 weeks on IR have cleared ? Only on the hook for 1mil this season now after his contract redo with the Falcons.

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Fuller needs to be gone after this year.  He's lost at least two steps.  Can only play zone.  Athletically, he can't cut it anymore.

Fuller is still a smart player who can be a #2 corner on the outside. WJ3 will be gone. They aren't going to find a #1 corner in FA. Best case scenario is St Juste evolves into a stud who can play both inside and outside. More likely route is that they will have to take a corner in the 1st or 2nd (a pick they may lose due to the Wentz trade)

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

There’s little more than scraps left on the free agency availability list now. Could we look at veteran defensive players? Doubt it now.

What about a move for Deion Jones once his 4 weeks on IR have cleared ? Only on the hook for 1mil this season now after his contract redo with the Falcons.

The guy has declined quite a bit and has a reputation of not being a good locker room guy. He's not it

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Fuller is still a smart player who can be a #2 corner on the outside. WJ3 will be gone. They aren't going to find a #1 corner in FA. Best case scenario is St Juste evolves into a stud who can play both inside and outside. More likely route is that they will have to take a corner in the 1st or 2nd (a pick they may lose due to the Wentz trade)

Agree, I think CB has to be a very high priority in the 2023 draft.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

The guy has declined quite a bit and has a reputation of not being a good locker room guy. He's not it

It would appear so. Just throwing one of the very few names out there. If Rivera decides to stick with this roster for the 2022 season he is taking one Hell of a risk it would seem. 

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree, I think CB has to be a very high priority in the 2023 draft.

It would appear so. Just throwing one of the very few names out there. If Rivera decides to stick with this roster for the 2022 season he is taking one Hell of a risk it would seem. 

I hear you. There aren't a lot of upgrades out there. I don't know why they wouldn't at least bring Blake Martinez in for a workout to see where his knee is. AJ Klein has declined a lot but he is still an upgrade over Mayo and Bostic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, method man said:

Wes Martin is a terrible player. Ismael is not good but he is a competent step in player. With Roullier set to go on IR, if Schweitzer is iffy for the Eagles, they need to sign Ismael off SF's practice squad asap

I'm sure they have thought about that.  But they let Ismael get to SF's practice squad.  And they picked up Wes Martin off waivers.

I really don't want Wes Martin starting at center, though.  

We need Schweitzer to be back and play center.  

I still think they should call Flowers.  I wonder if they have and he hasn't picked up the phone.  

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Ereck Flowers is still out there....

Either they REALLY didn't think he was very good, or they've called him and he's not answering the phone.

It does say something about what the league thinks about him that he started last year, and then hasn't even gotten a nibble this year.  That's odd.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm sure they have thought about that.  But they let Ismael get to SF's practice squad.  And they picked up Wes Martin off waivers.

I still think they should call Flowers.  I wonder if they have and he hasn't picked up the phone.  

Either they REALLY didn't think he was very good, or they've called him and he's not answering the phone.

It does say something about what the league thinks about him that he started last year, and then hasn't even gotten a nibble this year.  That's odd.  

I don’t know if it was a “let.” I bet it was Ismael’s choice w him knowing he was the 4th string center here. Remember Ismael is from the Bay Area too so he went home. It’s why I’m not sure he opts to sign here (he’d get three weeks minimum here though)

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Flowers has made a ton of money. He strikes me as a guy that doesn’t love the game. Probably doesn’t want to play unless it is a certain $ amount

10 minutes ago, method man said:

I don’t know if it was a “let.” I bet it was Ismael’s choice w him knowing he was the 4th string center here. Remember Ismael is from the Bay Area too so he went home. It’s why I’m not sure he opts to sign here (he’d get three weeks minimum here though)

If they want to sign him to the active roster, he comes back immediately because the game check for an active roster player is like full-year for a practice squad player.  My understanding is there's a HUGE difference.

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Flowers has made a ton of money. He strikes me as a guy that doesn’t love the game. Probably doesn’t want to play unless it is a certain $ amount

It's true.  He might not.  Things didn't exactly end on great terms either.

But I would call him and see.  Make him say no.

I'd also start looking for trades for backup guards and centers.  I don't have a clue who any of them are, but that's why they have like 5 GMs in the FO. I'd absolutely trade a 5th or 6th for a young guy who could come in and play right away.  

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they want to sign him to the active roster, he comes back immediately because the game check for an active roster player is like full-year for a practice squad player.  My understanding is there's a HUGE difference.

Not quite that much of a disparity, (1 game equal a full year) unless your getting a multimillion dollar deal, but its certainly enough that any PS player would chuck deuces if offered a roster spot anywhere.

the absolute lowest PS player makes 207K a year/11.5K a week

A rookie minimum on the roster is around 705K a week/39K a week Vets can make more

If a PS player can hand onto a roster for 6 weeks, they can make whatever they would have on a Squad and change. Plus they have the oppo to be on a roster and play, which was not the case where they were.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Between Castro and Ridgeway it kind of seems like we’re stealing some free late rounders on waivers that we liked but didn’t have an opportunity to draft. It’s a small thing but sometimes those guys click better somewhere else and hit. I’ll take it. 

• Like 1

I remember reading about Ridgeway during draft season as it became obvious we'd draft a DT after letting Settle leave in FA and Io go. This guy was a Day 3 target for me as a guy who can plug the run but probably won't provide much of a pass rush, which is fine. Great pickup and he should contribute right away and hopefully can be a long term backup on his rookie deal

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

if not Ismael, how about Austin Reiter?  He's had a lot of NFL experience at center for the Chiefs and is currently on their practice squad.  He's 15 lbs lighter than Marin, but he's always played at center.

Reiter's started several times, it's smart