Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Martinez would make an immediate impact on the defense.

Maybe so. Hard to tell post injury. The balance of cost, when we appear to have limited cap space without making other moves, and unknown production off the ACL make it a no from me.

Much like Anthony Walker we are 2 years too late on these players.

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe so. Hard to tell post injury. The balance of cost, when we appear to have limited cap space without making other moves, and unknown production off the ACL make it a no from me.

Much like Anthony Walker we are 2 years too late on these players.

At some point you have to make the right move for the team. Taking a gamble on Martinez for a one year deal can't hurt us.

Playing Holcomb can. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I read where Ridgeway only has one year of college football experience but has a very high upside....saw multiple comments from Cowboy fans who are not happy he was waived and that we scooped him up. Hopefully we can coach this kid up and make something out of him. 

Hopefully we found our next matt ioannidis compliments of the cowboys. 

The addition of Nick Martin and the new DT drops us below 3 Mil in cap space

As long as we cut somebody who has no dead cap, we may get 600K back when B-Rob comes back.

Unless we cut or restructure someone of consequence, we are against a wall here. If we lose another starter we will practically have to give somebody a new contract to facilitate replacement moves to avoid a natural disaster.

Payne would prob be the most likely candidate. It has to be someone w/ a significant cap hit this year.

If we ever needed a "stay healthy" stretch, this is it

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The addition of Nick Martin and the new DT drops us below 3 Mil in cap space

As long as we cut somebody who has no dead cap, we may get 600K back when B-Rob comes back.

Unless we cut or restructure someone of consequence, we are against a wall here. If we lose another starter we will practically have to give somebody a new contract to facilitate replacement moves to avoid a natural disaster.

Payne would prob be the most likely candidate. It has to be someone w/ a significant cap hit this year.

If we ever needed a "stay healthy" stretch, this is it

Schweitzer would probably save a bit of money. He's a guy you keep around and he's still 29. Probably has at least a couple good seasons remaining in him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I read where Ridgeway only has one year of college football experience but has a very high upside....saw multiple comments from Cowboy fans who are not happy he was waived and that we scooped him up. Hopefully we can coach this kid up and make something out of him. 

He has 4+ years of college ball. Only one year in the SEC (2021). But he was at Illinois State for four years prior to that (one of which was redshirted)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Apparently Coach Rivera has an obsession with young and cheap players. Whether they are actually good at football, well that's far down the list of prerequisites 🤨

As another poster said, we have less than 3 million in cap space and other injuries will happen.   Unless we extend somebody in a way that lowers their cap hit for this year, we don't have the money available to go after the bigger names like JPP.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

As another poster said, we have less than 3 million in cap space and other injuries will happen.   Unless we extend somebody in a way that lowers their cap hit for this year, we don't have the money available to go after the bigger names like JPP.

Like De'ron Payne for instance????

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Yea, what else is new? Every year, it seems that we lack cap money. Just another frustrating aspect to being a Washington fan.

23 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

They can easily create more cap space by tweaking Samuel and Jackson contract.  

Samuel I could just about see given he’s started the season well. Jackson is in the same position as Fuller for me. On the bubble for 2023 so I wouldn’t push money out on his deal.

13 hours ago, method man said:

Schweitzer would probably save a bit of money. He's a guy you keep around and he's still 29. Probably has at least a couple good seasons remaining in him

Agreed. That would be a low risk move to create between say 2-3mil in space, if needed.

• Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Samuel I could just about see given he’s started the season well. Jackson is in the same position as Fuller for me. On the bubble for 2023 so I wouldn’t push money out on his deal.

Agreed. That would be a low risk move to create between say 2-3mil in space, if needed.

I might be wrong, but I think they can tweak Jackson's contract without having much of an impact if they release him after the year.

Jonathan Allen's contract could be tweaked as well, I think.  

Edited by FLSkinz83

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I might be wrong, but I think they can tweak Jackson's contract without having much of an impact if they release him after the year.

Jonathan Allen's contract could be tweaked as well, I think.  

The player has to agreed to contract modification too.   If you guarantee more money in the future they are often willing.  But if a player thinks there is a possibility they will get released after the season, they are not going to agree to the modification unless they think they will get some benefit for agreeing to the modification.

48 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The player has to agreed to contract modification too.   If you guarantee more money in the future they are often willing.  But if a player thinks there is a possibility they will get released after the season, they are not going to agree to the modification unless they think they will get some benefit for agreeing to the modification.

I think some of these contracts have roster bonuses.  You can turn those into guarantees and save cap room.   I think.   We only need like an extra 5 mil to bring in a solid LB, a backup DT and a depth CB.  

20 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Jpp would immediately be our best pass rusher the minute he signed but that would make too much sense wouldnt it.

I think it's less about OUR interest in JPP than it is about his lack of interest in us.

Look at the teams he's rumored to have interest in-- Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs.

One common denominator-- all three are either playing like, or are expected to be, serious contenders for a championship.

For many players reaching the twilight of their careers these decisions become less about money.

It is the sacred and noble quest for one last run at a ring, before retiring that, for some, becomes their all consuming goal.

Until we actually start consistently winning, to outside observers, we are at best, a middle of the road team with no serious title prospects.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think it's less about OUR interest in JPP than it is about his lack of interest in us.

Look at the teams he's rumored to have interest in-- Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs.

One common denominator-- all three are either playing like, or are expected to be, serious contenders for a championship.

For many players reaching the twilight of their careers decisions become less about money.

The quest for a ring becomes paramount.

Until we actually start consistently winning to outside observers we are, at best, a middle of the road team with no serious title prospects.

This.

As Keim noted on his podcast, they have been inquiring on a bunch of these vets but no one wants to come here on a low money deal

• Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

This.

As Keim noted on his podcast, they have been inquiring on a bunch of these vets but no one wants to come here on a low money deal

I heard him say a lot of these more talented guys have a preference is to go to a playoff bound team.  🙂

• Like 1

Yall talking about scrambling around to push whatever money we can into the future, so we can sign the last of the FAs off the heap and for what? 

We'll run what we brung and do the best we can and then load up next offseason. Our offense is pretty set minus some IOL depth.

Save the money for our SB run next year.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1