Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Their O line is arguably just as good, maybe a hair lower but its much cheaper now.    The depth IMO is good again.  

One of the hallmarks of the Jay-Bruce era was terrible depth on the O-line.  Guys would get hurt and it would derail the season.  Ron has done a nice job to avoid that. 

I disagree with the terrible depth claim of Jay-Bruce era, because they way I remember things, it was three or four guys going down and it derailing the season.  There was a reason we once signed three vet street free agent in one week back then.  I think one week we had 11 or 12 OL on the roster cause we didn't want to IR everyone and lose them all year

still very happy with the Turner signing

Edited by MrJL

Per Washington's Depth Chart on ESPN:

QB: Wentz, Heinecke, Howell

RB: Gibson, McKissic, Robinson, Patterson

TE: Thomas, Bates, Turner, Reyes

WR: McLaurin, Brown, AGG

WR: Samuel, Sims, Harmon

WR: Dotson, Milne, Michel

LT: Leno, Charles

LG: Norwell, Benzschawel, Laufenberg

OC: Roullier, Larsen, Ismael

RG: Schweitzer, Turner, Paul

RT: Cosmi, Lucas

I bolded the players I think are good bets to make the roster. That's 24. I assume that's a safe bet for offensive players kept.

Heinecke isn't a lock to make the roster. If we keep 3 QBs then sure, but if we are confident in Wentz + Howell then we could save an additional $3m parting with Heinecke. Way too early to make such projections though.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I bolded the players I think are good bets to make the roster. That's 24. I assume that's a safe bet for offensive players kept.

Heinecke isn't a lock to make the roster. If we keep 3 QBs then sure, but if we are confident in Wentz + Howell then we could save an additional $3m parting with Heinecke. Way too early to make such projections though.

They're not cutting Heinicke to save money and hand the backup gig to the 5th rd pick.  No way that happens.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They're not cutting Heinicke to save money and hand the backup gig to the 5th rd pick.  No way that happens.

You're probably right. It's why I said there's a long way to go here. But if Howell shows he's a capable back-up that can push to even start ... then I think Heinecke is expendable at $3.5m in salary. But QB is a position you want to take as few risks as possible on. Keeping 2 QBs seems risky, especially since the 2/3 competing could all play if needed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We need a 2022 Depth chart thread. Does that already exist? I'm very curious what the offensive depth chart would look like, particularly at OL and TE. 

Theres one at the bottom of this article, including salary for some :

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/5/2/23053697/washington-free-agency-guard-trai-turner-signed-to-1-year-3-million-deal

We have a ton of depth at guard, but just 2 starting tackles and Lucas at swing. I wonder if Charles will get some practice snaps there

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Do you think we hate the iggles because they had a (barely) above .500 record? The Eagles are a hated division rival. I don't care if they win 1 game or 17, it won't change.

Speaking of, how can a person be a fan of two teams that are long-time division rivals? I like and follow other NFL teams (I live in SoCal, and the Rams just won the 'Bowl) but I'll certainly never root for the eagles, cowboys, or giants.

I'm from Philly and lived there most of my life. Accidentally became a Redskin fan in 79 because my grandfather told me to cheer for them when they were playing the Cowboys. Ended up being a fan.

• Like 2

Excellent OL signing for that money. Collins next at a reasonable price.

Think we should consider CB too. Byrce Callahan or Trae Waynes, injury history but maybe worth a look on a short term incentive based deal. Also an old link to Joe Haden on as one year deal perhaps.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, dswerdlw said:

Right, I'm thinking that Schweitzer, who has played center, could be a better option than Ismael if Larsen and Roullier (both coming off injuries) are not ready to go for game 1.

Yeah I am thinking Ismael is a fail and barring injury will be a training camp cut. He was a head scratchier when they drafted him

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah I am thinking Ismael is a fail and barring injury will be a training camp cut. He was a head scratchier when they drafted him

Now I think Rivera mention Ismael in an interview pre draft saying he stepped up well last season. Could be wrong, sure he made reference to him though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There is a discussion going on about Heinicke in the QB thread. Right now I think you can put him in bold as a safe bet to make the 53. Its always possible that changes - but Howell would have to wow in camp and preseason for that to happen - Heinickie is a good backup who knows the playbook and has won games in the NFL and who costs us $3.6M against the cap. It's highly unlikely he is not on the 53 on opening day IMO.

I would not put Reyes in bold. I think he is very much on the bubble - one of him or Turner will likely be on the practice squad. That assumes Thomas does not start the season on IR.

20 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He played very well when he had to start at C last season - had a very good grade. Don't count him out.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There is a discussion going on about Heinicke in the QB thread. Right now I think you can put him in bold as a safe bet to make the 53. Its always possible that changes - but Howell would have to wow in camp and preseason for that to happen - Heinickie is a good backup who knows the playbook and has won games in the NFL and who costs us $3.6M against the cap. It's highly unlikely he is not on the 53 on opening day IMO.

I would not put Reyes in bold. I think he is very much on the bubble - one of him or Turner will likely be on the practice squad. That assumes Thomas does not start the season on IR.

He played very well when he had to start at C last season - had a very good grade. Don't count him out.

I fully agree with you regarding TH and Reyes. I believe the team is better off with TH and Howell unless as you state, he fully wows em over the summer. Reyes hasn't proven much of anything to date and would more than likely now considered TE4 and replaceable. 

Nice that RR has spoken well on Israel and that he did fill in okay, be he was what, C4 or C5 then. He just doesn't impress and now has stiffer competition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Excellent OL signing for that money. Collins next at a reasonable price.

Think we should consider CB too. Byrce Callahan or Trae Waynes, injury history but maybe worth a look on a short term incentive based deal. Also an old link to Joe Haden on as one year deal perhaps.

I'm hoping Kyle Fuller will take a reasonable deal to play at home with his brother.  I've heard nothing that has led me to believe this will happen, just wishful thinking.

Kyle and WJ3 as the starting outside corners, with Kendall and McCain moving around alongside Curl, would be pretty sweet.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, London Kev said:

IIRC we only signed one last year? If so, that's quite a change in thinking. 

At the time I think they said they were limiting bodies due to covid.   Not 100% sure.   

This is a nice turnaround. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

They could keep Turner as the 6th receiver, too. Obviously they’d put him on the TE depth chart to keep costs down, ya know? But ya. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They could keep Turner as the 6th receiver, too. Obviously they’d put him on the TE depth chart to keep costs down, ya know? But ya. 

Yeah, I think they go with 9 pass catchers. Dax would be on the outside looking in for that scenario.  Have to take the return game into consideration though.  And, of course, this depends on Thomas being available week 1.

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, I think they go with 9 pass catchers. Dax would be on the outside looking in for that scenario.  Have to take the return game into consideration though.  And, of course, this depends on Thomas being available week 1.

I think they should give the return man a slot on his own. 4 specs slots. 49 for O/D. 

Coke would be Pepsi’d in that scenario and Heinicke could be cut.