Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

It is fair to say the Eagles have completely reshaped their defense. 

An Eagles reporter on with either Kiem or JP (they both brought in guys from other markets so I forget which) said the concern is they added Brown,  but otherwise they are running back the same offense almost to a T.  So, he questioned whether Brown by himself was really enough.  

They are still the favorite to win the division.  Good moves on the defensive side of the ball. 

But in todays NFL, good offense beats good defense.  So, they are betting on Hurts to be significantly improved.  If he is, then they’ll be an elite team.  If he’s not, they will be a good team. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, RWJ said:

There are some better position players available than we have on this team with our final cuts as we are down to 53 now.  If RR and Co. don't make any moves and stick with what we have, I am calling for new GMs or both GMs and HC for next year if this team of players don't perform and we have a dismal and losing season.  There are opportunities to improve this team as positions of weakness from released players from other teams are available and RR and Co. need to make a few moves to improve this team! 

The Eagles released Devin Allen, and Olympian/converted WR who has world class speed, plays special teams and made plays in the preseason. Fans here in Philly are pissed he got cut over the brutal Jaelen Reagor. Sign Allen and cut Dyami. I'm with you, we should be bringing in guys and waiving others. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The Eagles released Devin Allen, and Olympian/converted WR who has world class speed, plays special teams and made plays in the preseason. Fans here in Philly are pissed he got cut over the brutal Jaelen Reagor. Sign Allen and cut Dyami. I'm with you, we should be bringing in guys and waiving others. 

Dude ran a 4.35 at his pro day.

I'd love to have another dude with that kind of speed on the roster, or even the PS if we could get him there. Can't teach fast

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dude ran a 4.35 at his pro day.

I'd love to have another dude with that kind of speed on the roster, or even the PS if we could get him there. Can't teach fast

No doubt the Eagles will likely PS him but it would be nice to steal him....if he can play. Not to mention we play them week 3 so he could help with enemy intel too.

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It is fair to say the Eagles have completely reshaped their defense. 

An Eagles reporter on with either Kiem or JP (they both brought in guys from other markets so I forget which) said the concern is they added Brown,  but otherwise they are running back the same offense almost to a T.  So, he questioned whether Brown by himself was really enough.  

They are still the favorite to win the division.  Good moves on the defensive side of the ball. 

But in todays NFL, good offense beats good defense.  So, they are betting on Hurts to be significantly improved.  If he is, then they’ll be an elite team.  If he’s not, they will be a good team. 

I think that is well said

I wonder how all the changes on Philly's D will translate on the field, especially in the first part of the season.  So much of defense in today's NFL requires knowing who is responsible for what down cold.  Then it requires good, timely communication, and neither of those are givens regardless of the talent levels on the defense.  Think about our D last year after being praised up and down.  Yes, we ran into much better QB play than the year before, but how many broken coverage TD or big plays did we give up?   Great defense requires more than individual talents. Put me in the wait and see before I declare their D much improved.  Now if those players had played together for years, I would bet on them being a very good D.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gbear said:

I wonder how all the changes on Philly's D will translate on the field, especially in the first part of the season.  So much of defense in today's NFL requires knowing who is responsible for what down cold.  Then it requires good, timely communication, and neither of those are givens regardless of the talent levels on the defense.  Think about our D last year after being praised up and down.  Yes, we ran into much better QB play than the year before, but how many broken coverage TD or big plays did we give up?   Great defense requires more than individual talents. Put me in the wait and see before I declare their D much improved.  Now if those players had played together for years, I would bet on them being a very good D.

Gannon turned it around mid season for them and simplified the defense, a lot like we did. He seems like a pretty smart DC, despite not much experience. With the athletes they have, I think it'll be pretty good out of the gate and then just get better all year.

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Eagles have done a great job of stacking their roster out. Remains to be seen if they have a QB able to compete at the highest level to make the most of that.

It also remains to be seen how their locker room is. How are those personalities and who gets the blame after a loss? Can their coach handle it or will players grab his nipples? Will they learn the system? Hang out together? Joke together? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Is this a ****ing Eagles board!?! 😂

Seriously, though. Toss the Philthy love into the fires of Mount Doom. 

It's like I live at the end of a cul-de-sac with 4 houses. The one next to mine is my sister and brother in law. All 4 houses have a son the same age. 

2 of them are total losers and I hate their stupid dirty kids, but mine and my sisters I always route for.

Mine seems to have a drug problem and face tattoos and just changed his name, but I still love my little failure.

My sisters kid is getting straight A's, leads the chess team and spends time volunteering at a soup kitchen. I love that kid and I can't wait to watch him bully the other two this week end. Hopefully mine quits picking his nose and bullies them too. 

• Haha 7

25 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Blake Martinez would be an upgrade over Bostic or Mayo. I'd consider it if there aren't other concerns with him I don't know about. 

Gotta investigate whats up w/ that knee.

Don't wanna see us get in a situation like that LB Dallas cut last year (Smith I think?) who looked cooked after his injury.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's like I live at the end of a cul-de-sac with 4 houses. The one next to mine is my sister and brother in law. All 4 houses have a son the same age. 

2 of them are total losers and I hate their stupid dirty kids, but mine and my sisters I always route for.

Mine seems to have a drug problem and face tattoos and just changed his name, but I still love my little failure.

My sisters kid is getting straight A's, leads the chess team and spends time volunteering at a soup kitchen. I love that kid and I can't wait to watch him bully the other two this week end. Hopefully mine quits picking his nose and bullies them too. 

This is actually a pretty good analogy it's just incomplete, let me help you finish it.

The cul-de-sac you live in is in Washington and despite all your sons shortcomings the neighborhood just relates to him better than your nephew who's originally from Philly.

Despite that you seem to like coming to our house kicking in the front door, showing us his report cards and telling us about his work with the elderly.

If your not careful that nephew of yours is gonna end up on a milk carton.

Oh and by the way.

The eagles SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Blake Martinez would be an upgrade over Bostic or Mayo. I'd consider it if there aren't other concerns with him I don't know about. 

Dude has been a tackling machine over his career, I do wonder if his knee is right though.

Either way, considering the sad state of affairs at LB around these parts...he's got to be worth taking a look-see.

• Thumb up 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:43 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

How many times do you see a WR get traded and sign a LTD, then under-performing right after with the new team?

It's the norm, right?  That's why I had said Terry McLaurin is the only guy you can trust to out-perform his new deal.

Brown has new team, new coach and scheme, with a new QB and unproven passer.

I'll take Wentz-McLauren over Hurts-Brown.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, TheShredder said:

How many times do you see a WR get traded and sign a LTD, then under-performing right after with the new team?

It's the norm, right?  That's why I had said Terry McLaurin is the only guy you can trust to out-perform his new deal.

Eh, I wouldn’t go that far yet.  Wentz hasn’t looked like an elite QB since 2017, and T-Mac and AJ Brown are at best a wash.  Hurts is the wild card right now.  You can’t tell me Wentz is THAT much better right now than Hurts is.  Hurts is still young enough to develop, and turn into a very good QB.  Wentz has a lot to prove, and is facing just as much pressure, if not more than Hurts is this year.  If Wentz blows his opportunity here, he’ll probably be a backup QB moving forward.  I’m not that convinced that he’ll figure it out here anyways.

AJ Brown is a top 10 receiver in the league minimum, and maybe top 5 with his talent.  There’s no indication that he will underperform in Philly.

Edited by samy316

14 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Gotta acknowledge that those obstacles face both tandems.

The Wentz-McL and Hurts-Brown situations face very similar hurdles, its just a matter of who is facing them.

For us, Wentz is on a new team, has a new coach and scheme. Terry gets the benefit of scheme familiarity, but he will have to find a connection with a new QB.

For Brown he is the one on the new team and in a new scheme, but Hurts instead gets the benefit of scheme familiarity, again however he will have to find a connection with the new WR.

Regardless both tandems are dealing with the dang near exact same hurdles since Wentz/Brown were not on their respective teams last year. I'd say the main diff is that as a QB Wentz is tasked w/ learning far more than Brown is.

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Regardless both tandems are dealing with the dang near exact same hurdles since Wentz/Brown were not on their respective teams last year. I'd say the main diff is that as a QB Wentz is tasked w/ learning far more than Brown is.

Yeah, but Hurts is tasked with going from a primarily running QB to being able to read defenses and throw the ball, which he hasn't demonstrated the ability to do consistently.  

From a passing perspective, Wentz is the better passer, at least as of the time we saw both of them play, and it's not close.  

McLaurin and Brown very similar.

I'd still take Wentz/McLaurin right now because I have more faith in Wentz's ability to throw the ball than Hurts.  But we'll see.  It's possible Hurts takes a huge step forward, but he hasn't yet.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah, that's why I asked a legit question.

I don't know Brown. Having not followed the guy, my impression could be wrong. That's why I'd choose Wentz-McLaurin as both guys genuinely can be counted on to give 100% on every snap. Examples like Golladay in NY seem prevalent...get paid and play the injury game or just mail in the year and take the money.