Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

On 7/9/2022 at 7:23 AM, philibusters said:

The defensive starting lineup is okay, but the depth is pretty bad.   You could improve the depth at DE, LB, CB, and S.  Obviously it is unlikely you bring in four free agents.   On offense the depth is fine everywhere except offensive tackle, but even there you are at least three deep as Lucas is a solid swing tackle.

I disagree with this. I think the depth is unproven but what we saw last year is that they played better with our top two DEs out. That's not too knock Young or Sweat but it gives me courage that the backups can play. I remember Chris Wilson playing on the DL back in like 2004 and having a good year as an UDFA but we cut him and brought in some bums who were at least vets, meanwhile he goes to Seattle and balls out. 

I am excited to see these young guys grow. It's there a Danny Johnson or Kam Curl or Matt Ioannidis or Chris Baker in this years rookie class? What about the second years? 

they say that luck is when opportunity meets preparation. Hopefully the mentality of this team is to recruit more guys like Terry, so let's see what they do with the opportunities they're given. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 7/9/2022 at 5:17 PM, FootballZombie said:

Need to see a proven commodity next to them in training camp. If they beat him out, cool, but shouldn't just blindly rely on absolutely no experience or production at the position. Any Vet Min guy would work

Why. It's not like the proven commodity had proven anything in this offense. This was my problem with Gibbs 2. He was quick to replace guys working their butts off just for a vet with experience. But often those vets had maxed out or were never weres. Our young guys were at least home grown and still growing. Let the young guys grow. It's not like we're a SB contender right now. Maybe by the time their in their peaks, we can have more young guys ready to become stars. 

• Like 2

Agreed, KB. Bates has more pass-catching ability than folks thought, though he can still maul as a blocker. And I love the Turner highlights I've seen. Young dude has some range!

Edited by JCB
  • Like 3

Turner being at the Wentz passing get-together makes me happy, I want so badly for him to be our steal of the draft. Mid round TE’s can sometimes hit big, would be a blast if he became more than just a role player, maybe he just slipped through the cracks. I love that we targeted him specifically in the draft, just let it come to us, and then grabbed him at good value. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Turner being at the Wentz passing get-together makes me happy, I want so badly for him to be our steal of the draft. Mid round TE’s can sometimes hit big, would be a blast if he became more than just a role player, maybe he just slipped through the cracks. I love that we targeted him specifically in the draft, just let it come to us, and then grabbed him at good value. 

I like Cole Turner.  The narrative around him by people who didn't like him as a prospect was that he is a receiving TE who performed poorly at the combine (4.76).  Maybe you can get away with a 4.76 if you are a blocking TE, but if you are receiving TE the thinking goes, you have to run faster.  That said, he played faster than his 4.76, is a decent route runner for a TE straight of college and is good at catching the ball.  I don't know if he'll ever be a star, but gauging his upside, I could see him putting together a 7 or 8 year NFL career with a few years as a starter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cole Turner and Jon Bates have the ability and opportunity to become one of the best TE duos in the league imo  

That Bates kool-aid is a helluva drug. 😆

I’ve been higher on Bates than almost everyone since we drafted him. I like guys that show out at the Senior Bowl. I think it’s a pretty solid predictor of success. St. Juste is gonna prove that point, too. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Should I know who this person is? 

There’s no law or rule saying you have to, no. That’s Katie Feeney though. The new social media correspondent (and first of that role for any NFL team). She’s a Penn State student, started posting on tik tok on the sideline for pregame this past season 

Neal is just another camp body.  I'll be more interested if/when Washington's F.O. signs another swing OT for depth and also finds a veteran linebacker.

I'm not sure about all this talk about "buffalo nickels" but once glance at Washington's current depth chart, made me feel more work needs to be done to shore up those two areas.  I only see one quality OT listed as backing both Tackle positions, kind of thin, should something prevent both starters from taking the field.  As for LB... Hold the Mayo please.