Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

46 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's not right. Mayo was initially cut to get down to 53, but it wasn't really about skills. It was mainly because his contract carries no real dead money, he's not super sought after, and he's not subject to waivers. He was resigned as soon as spots opened up by placing people on IR, which was a day or so later. He was never on the practice squad.

Point is no one rushed in to pick him up. He's a guy who probably gets picked up if he is still on a PS midseason or after but is safe to stash on a PS in the early weeks when teams are fairly healthy

5 hours ago, method man said:

Point is no one rushed in to pick him up. He's a guy who probably gets picked up if he is still on a PS midseason or after but is safe to stash on a PS in the early weeks when teams are fairly healthy

We have 4 LBers. Why are we talking about cutting one?

I like Ron Rivera but I admit his approach on LBs is baffiling to me especially for a dude who played that spot.  In the off season, he started with its the code red spot.  Then did a 180 on it.  

Keim's latest podcast he mentioned to watch out for potentially AJ Klein or Bostic coming back. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Ron Rivera but I admit his approach on LBs is baffiling to me especially for a dude who played that spot.  In the off season, he started with its the code red spot.  Then did a 180 on it.  

Keim's latest podcast he mentioned to watch out for potentially AJ Klein or Bostic coming back. 

I’m not going to defend our LB core here, but it seems to me the obvious answer is we go with 5 linemen.  Perhaps pull WJIII to plug in a guy that matches better with a TE - St Juste, Hudson, or whoever wins our BN role.  With that said, I’ll trust Fletcher that this (specific offensive package) is a concern…

I don’t have an answer to Fletcher’s question (and I’m not sure the roster does either) but I will say that if we can do anything to entice an offense to go 3TE Heavy Jumbo on us to run the ball…that’s a win. That’s the sort of inefficient playcalling you hope teams engage in, if you yourself can score points on offense. If we can’t score, teams will do whatever they want anyways. If we can, then letting teams think their best avenue of attack against us is to grind the clock and run the ball…okay, go ahead. Good luck. Thanks for not passing the ball more. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not going to defend our LB core here, but it seems to me the obvious answer is we go with 5 linemen.  Perhaps pull WJIII to plug in a guy that matches better with a TE - St Juste, Hudson, or whoever wins our BN role.  With that said, I’ll trust Fletcher that this (specific offensive package) is a concern…

How can our HC and our DC both LBs get the position wrong?  

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah I think you are right as for that.  From what I've heard they've done quite a bit of D lineman sets in camp.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fletcher has a point, but my counter thought is how many teams have the personnel to attack that way? The Patriots and 49ers aren't lining up against us every Sunday. 

The overall point that we still need that ultimate blue chip LB piece is legitimate. It's been on everyone's radar for years, however I believe our coaches have done well building the entire roster. The LB, by circumstance, will likely be that final piece we draft or sign next year. Jamin was always a 2nd Dog in my projection, but his potential rises when you pair him with a blue chip guy. I liked the idea of pairing Dean with him, but Mathis keeps our 5 man front solid so I concede to their vision for now. 

When going from a bottom 5 roster to the competitive consistent roster we all want, there is a process that comes with building the team. I don't believe our coaches have intentionally ignored the LB position, but I believe they've made BPA and overall roster moves that, by circumstance, have left LB as one of the last glaring holes on the team.

If the rest of the roster were not exponentially improved since Rivera arrived, I would be more outraged at the LB situation. Since we have built depth at many other positions (QB, RB, WR, TE, and DB), though, I can have *some patience.

*Some because I'm still going to carve up our current LB group based on what they put on film.

Seeing Free Agents sign is always tough, but we don't know what priorities players had when making their decision.

Improvements from the DL and Secondary will be needed this year regardless. I'm hoping for LB in the 1st or 2nd of next year's draft. I'm not sure if there are any diamonds out there in the 2023 group just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

We are probably waiting to see if any veterans Lb get released this preseason from another team .

The other option is we trade for a Lb in next coming weeks. D.Jones from Falcons maybe? Resign Collins?  I can't see us not getting another LB in next two weeks.

Edited by Redskins 2021

On 8/3/2022 at 10:45 PM, method man said:

I mean yes and no. He's no great shakes, partly evident by the fact he was freely available for Washington to sign for a uber cheap deal last offseason. But he was also clearly cut in a nudge-nudge, wink-wink manner wherein he basically agreed to not sign elsewhere. Because didn't have to clear waivers. Washington could add him right back once it cleared a roster spot after stashing someone on IR (which I believe was Forrest last year). I think he could find a roster spot on someone's 53, but it's more the backed special teams type of roster spot.

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

We signed Barr.  

Dallas signed Barr, that makes you a Pukes :dallas_sucks: Fan!

4 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We are probably waiting to see if any veterans Lb get released this preseason from another team .

The other option is we trade for a Lb in next coming weeks. D.Jones from Falcons maybe? Resign Collins?  I can't see us not getting another LB in next two weeks.

LB'ers are dropping like flies...better sign someone now if they're even thinking about it.

5 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Dallas signed Barr, that makes you a Pukes :dallas_sucks: Fan!

LB'ers are dropping like flies...better sign someone now if they're even thinking about it.

Wonder if Jax might get rid of a veteran LBer. I know they cut Jack, but they did draft two ILBs. I dont have the internet to go looking around.

And why you give my cowboy fan comment confused face?

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At this stage, Bostic feels like a guy you can sign midseason if you need him. I wonder if they feel Scho is a pure 3-4 MIKE. At the very least, he’d be a good guy to platoon w Mayo if they keep Mayo on the roster too. Scho is a great coverage backer but sucks against the run and Mayo is the opposite

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

And why you give my cowboy fan comment confused face?

It was an agreed confusion with that RWJ comment...which is confusing in itself, so apologies I was agreeing with you & have to assume dudes a Pukes fan unless there's a correction. :cheers:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

It was an agreed confusion with that RWJ comment...which is confusing in itself, so apologies I was agreeing with you & have to assume dudes a Pukes fan unless there's a correction. :cheers:

Not a Dallas fan. I wanted us, the Commanders to sign Barr.  

• Haha 1