Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I think you're actually right about this;

London Fletcher

Ken Harvey

Wilbur Marshall

Monte Coleman

Andre Collins

?????

Marshall, Coleman and Collins was 30 years ago....I don't really count Harvey as a LB.   He was a pass rusher.   I'm talking about off the ball LB's.

Marcus Washington and Fletcher are the only two I can think of who were good for more than one year.

Guys like Pierce was good for one year here.   Same for guys like Kennan Robinson or even Lemar Marshall.    Holcomb is slightly above average.

Trotter and Armstead weren't good here.   

The leaders of the defense are LB's.   The leaders of the offense are QB's.    We have stunk in both areas.   No wonder we've sucked overall the past 30 years.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

We brought in another project TE with no receptions in the regular season. lol

Just playing the lottery at this point. One of those guys will pan out.

Surprised we could not keep Cole Kelly on the 90 a bit longer, but I suppose that meas they like what the are seeing from Howell

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It seems that our new fallback line for a guy who's not good enough at any position is that "he's a tremendous special teamer". How many guys have we heard this about? Bates, Apke, some of our rookie picks and now Gerry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I think you're actually right about this;

London Fletcher

Ken Harvey

Wilbur Marshall

Monte Coleman

Andre Collins

?????

The sadder part is most of those guys were established elsewhere and then just signed here. Actually drafting and developing a good LB seems nearly impossible.

Just now, Jericho said:

The sadder part is most of those guys were established elsewhere and then just signed here. Actually drafting and developing a good LB seems nearly impossible.

It's amazing how bad we've been at LB when you dig deep and look at it.....No QB or LB for 30 years?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It seems that our new fallback line for a guy who's not good enough at any position is that "he's a tremendous special teamer". How many guys have we heard this about? Bates, Apke, some of our rookie picks and now Gerry. 

Bates was the top rated blocker at TE as a rookie. Dudes a legit starter, not a STer. 

So, your list is at 1 and STs is really important.

• Like 2

Next year could be a great year to go LB in the first. That or LT. Our roster is starting to turn into an overall solid construction.

QB/LB/OT are the issue spots more than anywhere else. And I don’t think that happened by accident.

QB may be erased with Howell. (I say may out of respect. Howell is obviously the GOAT)

OT could be in okay shape where it is, and, quite frankly: we’ve had elite LTs for a very large portion of the last 20ish years and it didn’t do much for us.

Sewell (among others) could be a legitimate option for us at LB this next draft. Sleeper wise I’m a big fan of DeMarvion Overshown.

One of those guys with Jamin Davis (who I expect, in year three, to be a prime starter) and Cole Holcomb is actually a decent top 3 LB grouping. 

• Like 1

Waiting for this team to fill roster holes is like being a kid again on Christmas morning.

You run downstairs,  presents are all piled up under the tree, you have visions of talking robots and remote control cars dancing around in your head, you open your present and it's underwear. 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Waiting for this team to fill roster holes is like being a kid again on Christmas morning.

You run downstairs,  presents are all piled up under the tree, you have visions of talking robots and remote control cars dancing around in your head, you open your present and it's underwear. 

Yeah, but it's underwear that your parents think has real potential.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Next year could be a great year to go LB in the first. That or LT. Our roster is starting to turn into an overall solid construction.

QB/LB/OT are the issue spots more than anywhere else. And I don’t think that happened by accident.

QB may be erased with Howell. (I say may out of respect. Howell is obviously the GOAT)

OT could be in okay shape where it is, and, quite frankly: we’ve had elite LTs for a very large portion of the last 20ish years and it didn’t do much for us.

Sewell (among others) could be a legitimate option for us at LB this next draft. Sleeper wise I’m a big fan of DeMarvion Overshown.

One of those guys with Jamin Davis (who I expect, in year three, to be a prime starter) and Cole Holcomb is actually a decent top 3 LB grouping. 

From the PFF podcasts on roster building, its been ingrained in my head that elite Tackles are usually not worth it (unless on a rookie deal).   A bad tackle may give up 8 pressures per game, an average to solid Tackle like Leno 3 pressures per game, and an elite tackle 1 pressure per game.  Upgrading from a poor tackle to a solid tackle will result in 5 pressures saved per game and may cost you 7 million ( 3 million for the bad tackle and 10 million for the average to starting tackle), whereas upgrading from solid to elite will only save you 2 pressures per game and may cost you 15 million per year (10 million vs. 25 million).

Edited by philibusters

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

From the PFF podcasts on roster building, its been ingrained in my head that elite Tackles are usually not worth it (unless on a rookie deal).   A bad tackle may give up 8 pressures per game, an average to solid Tackle like Leno 3 pressures per game, and an elite tackle 1 pressure per game.  Upgrading from a poor tackle to a solid tackle will result in 5 pressures saved per game and may cost you 7 million ( 3 million for the bad tackle and 10 million for the average to starting tackle), whereas upgrading from solid to elite will only save you 2 pressures per game and may cost you 15 million per year (10 million vs. 25 million).

Glad to see that someone has crunched the numbers to prove with data what I've always suspected - OT is one of the positions where you either resign your own guy or prioritize in the draft. NEVER worth signing a starter in FA. 

To me, best FA elite pickups worth the contracts have been WR, LB, and maybe S. All others hamstring your team unless your window for a championship is 1-2 years (in other words, you are just one or two players away from a potential Lombardi).

At this point, is it safe to say Collins is still resting on that albatross of a contract we gave him?

I've heard absolutely nothing about any team having interest in him.  Wild to me that Ron and JDR finally put him in a position to excel, he does, and then still complains that he doesn't like it.  It's almost like he would prefer to be on the other end of opposing WR's and TE's highlight reels, and since nobody wants him to be that - he's just hanging out.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

At this point, is it safe to say Collins is still resting on that albatross of a contract we gave him?

I've heard absolutely nothing about any team having interest in him.  Wild to me that Ron and JDR finally put him in a position to excel, he does, and then still complains that he doesn't like it.  It's almost like he would prefer to be on the other end of opposing WR's and TE's highlight reels, and since nobody wants him to be that - he's just hanging out.

Or they're trying to see what we have in Forrest and Butler through the preseason, before bringing a plug and play vet in. 

That's my hope. That Forrest looks really good in the BN, but not quiet good enough, so they bring Collins back and Forrest steps in and up when he's unjured.

Allows Curl to stay where he's best. Lets McCain and Butler stay deep and nickle corner. Covers our LBer depth.

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Or they're trying to see what we have in Forrest and Butler through the preseason, before bringing a plug and play vet in. 

That's my hope. That Forrest looks really good in the BN, but not quiet good enough, so they bring Collins back and Forrest steps in and up when he's unjured.

Allows Curl to stay where he's best. Lets McCain and Butler stay deep and nickle corner. Covers our LBer depth.

I'm not mad at the team for Landon not being here, it was more just about how there's no whispers of any team being interested in him.  I was under the impression the bridge is burnt - as he was pretty clear that he didn't like playing the position we'd want him to play.

Roquan Smith is sitting out camp wanting a new contract. We don't have a 2nd rounder hopefully, so it would probably cost us a 1rst, but we might be able to trade for him and dump a bunch of this years cap into a bonus and resign him. Dudes a stud and one of the best backers in the league. 

That would definitely be us selling out on 22' and taking ourselves out of the 23' QB draft though.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1