Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

43 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not sure why Flowers is still a FA. Asking for too much money? He was above average in 2019, average in 2020 (with Miami), and above average again in 2021. He's extremely durable. What am I missing? Maybe he's terrible in the locker room?

Probably wants too much 💰

• Like 2

Dee Ford was just cut by the 49ers because he’s hurt all the time. But on a prove-it contract (which could earn us a comp pick if he does prove it) I’d sign him to play spot duty on the edge just whenever he’s healthy. He’d just be a bonus for us, though he’d obviously be a big help while Young is recovering if he was available—He couldn’t be relied upon though. Just a mercenary finishing touch on the DL who might be drawn here bc he’d have a chance to shine when healthy with the guys he’d line up beside. I’d look into it.

Don’t want to invest big cap dollars in injury-prone players, but I’ll let the ones who need to prove their worth to the market try to do it here for cheap. 

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Dee Ford was just cut by the 49ers because he’s hurt all the time. But on a prove-it contract (which could earn us a comp pick if he does prove it) I’d sign him to play spot duty on the edge just whenever he’s healthy. He’d just be a bonus for us, though he’d obviously be a big help while Young is recovering if he was available—He couldn’t be relied upon though. Just a mercenary finishing touch on the DL who might be drawn here bc he’d have a chance to shine when healthy with the guys he’d line up beside. I’d look into it.

Don’t want to invest big cap dollars in injury-prone players, but I’ll let the ones who need to prove their worth to the market try to do it here for cheap. 

I like that idea too, unfortunately we just don't do that anymore. 

We get all excited for the big names and those guys go to the cowboys or bucs and we sign a guy who spent the last 3 years going from practice squads to the CFL and back.

It's just the Washington way now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I like that idea too, unfortunately we just don't do that anymore. 

We get all excited for the big names and those guys go to the cowboys or bucs and we sign a guy who spent the last 3 years going from practice squads to the CFL and back.

It's just the Washington way now.

You forgot another thing about the guys we sign now. They almost always played for the Panthers at some point. 

That is the new "Washington Way"...

8 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

You forgot another thing about the guys we sign now. They almost always played for the Panthers at some point. 

That is the new "Washington Way"...

That too.

We've signed a few marquee players but rarely this late in the season.

By now Rivera has his mind set on who he wants on the roster and not much sways him from that path short of bringing in a few camp bodies or maybe an end of the roster bubble guy.

It seems to be his m.o.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:26 AM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not sure why Flowers is still a FA. Asking for too much money? He was above average in 2019, average in 2020 (with Miami), and above average again in 2021. He's extremely durable. What am I missing? Maybe he's terrible in the locker room?

He had a lot more whiffs than he was called out publicly for and was over paid. He's available for a reason and clearly not willing to be a backup.

Collins isn't a starting Safety and refuses 2 down LB'er contract, If I were to guess. Still could find a 1-yr deal unsurprising.

They need a vet MLB'er as depth insurance and a Coverage LB'er. They're going to get burned if they do nothing.

9 hours ago, Conn said:

Dee Ford was just cut by the 49ers because he’s hurt all the time. But on a prove-it contract (which could earn us a comp pick if he does prove it) I’d sign him to play spot duty on the edge just whenever he’s healthy.

If the FO has the general idea that Young is gonna miss a few games, I could really get behind the idea of bringing in a vet pass rusher to help fill in the gap. Someone cheap to just help us bridge our way back to Young, and act as insurance in case he faces a set back.

I'm not sure how cheap Ford would be, but he certainly fits that mold.

We don't need and every down edge starter, just a supplementary piece who can do a little more than provide blow. Kinda like how Kerrigan was used behind both Young and Sweat.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

Clelin Ferrell, K’Lavon Chaisson, couple of players at various stages of being draft busts, probably not making the LV or Jax rosters. I’d consider those decent projects to works on.

Can’t see Chase Young being back anytime soon what so ever, we are very light at that spot if so. Aren’t we interested in Barr ? If you need a very short term stop gap, has Kerrigan retired yet.....seriously....

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, Est.1974 said:

Clelin Ferrell, K’Lavon Chaisson, couple of players at various stages of being draft busts, probably not making the LV or Jax rosters. I’d consider those decent projects to works on.

Can’t see Chase Young being back anytime soon what so ever, we are very light at that spot if so. Aren’t we interested in Barr ? If you need a very short term stop gap, has Kerrigan retired yet.....seriously....

Bloody Hell was it something i said Ryan :rofl89:

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Conditional 7th round pick in 2137 along with a restructure of a contract to vet min + incentives.  :P

Seriously, though, I think we're going to get the report card on Cole and Jamin in about 5 days.  If there are new faces next Monday, then we have all the answers we need.  If there are not, then they saw enough to think they have what they need.  

When Ron said before training camp he needed to check out the LBs for a week, I actually thought he probably mean "in pads" so this week after the ramp up period.  So, let's see. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed the run game a bit at these guys early in practices to see how the LBs hold up.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He would've been nice but he is not a MIKE. What they need is a MIKE upgrade over Mayo. A good team doesn't have a guy like Mayo make the 53 out of the gate. He is like a Jeremy Reaves - a guy you keep on the practice squad and elevate after some injuries.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, method man said:

He would've been nice but he is not a MIKE. What they need is a MIKE upgrade over Mayo. A good team doesn't have a guy like Mayo make the 53 out of the gate. He is like a Jeremy Reaves - a guy you keep on the practice squad and elevate after some injuries.

Mayo is a good mike on run downs and a ST monster. He makes every roster league wide, but isn't exactly what we need.

2 hours ago, method man said:

He's a bad injury risk for depth veteran signing. You're signing a guy like Barr as a rotational guy with the experience to step in if a starter goes down. If you're depth guy can't stay healthy then is that wise? Better off with someone you can depend on, but JJ loves him some brand names!

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not sure that's right, but we did start last season with a lot of LBers.

It's not right. Mayo was initially cut to get down to 53, but it wasn't really about skills. It was mainly because his contract carries no real dead money, he's not super sought after, and he's not subject to waivers. He was resigned as soon as spots opened up by placing people on IR, which was a day or so later. He was never on the practice squad.

• Like 1