Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t see Collins returning.  Maybe but I don’t see it.

I made a bold prediction sure to go wrong they would re-sign both Cole and Daron before TC.

Don't you think they'll let Payne play out this year, then if he balls out they could non-exclusive tag him and see if they can make a deal or trade him?

11 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Don't you think they'll let Payne play out this year, then if he balls out they could non-exclusive tag him and see if they can make a deal or trade him?

Payne is a double team kind of DT that doesn't really show up on the stat sheet.

If rumors are true and he's looking for Jon Allen type of money, I say let him play out this year and let him test FA. My guess is most teams will view him in the same light as we do. So, he'll either return on a reasonable contract with us or move on elsewhere. 

Honestly,  guys like him are a dime a dozen. It'll more than likely depend on if he wants to remain here or move on.

HTTR!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

But I think they have to deal with Swear next season also, so I’m pretty sure they don’t want to have to handle both at the same time.  

Which is why Payne this year makes sense. 

But they are not going to pay him Jon Allen money.  If that’s what he’s looking for then it won’t get done. 

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t think that’s fair.  I think Payne is a lot better than a dime a dozen.  But I don’t think he’s elite.  

I get that some might think that. Payne takes on a ton of double teams that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. But honestly,  is Payne anything game changing? Not as far as I've seen. And honestly,  if reports are accurate,  he certainly isn't worth Allen money.

Run stuffing, double teaming DTs are littered throughout the league.  And they can be had for pennies against the dollar. Guys like Allen are the ones you want to lock down for the big dollars. Payne is not Allen. And I like Payne, by the way. But he is replaceable.

HTTR!

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t see Collins returning.  Maybe but I don’t see it.

I made a bold prediction sure to go wrong they would re-sign both Cole and Daron before TC.

Saw that and I like it. Supposedly were turning down trade offers for Payne, which I really like. Having 3 very talented young DTs who know each other so well and push each other like they do, is just awesome energy to have in the middle of our defense. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Payne is severely underrated by fans here. His biggest positive is that he plays and plays a LOT. Guy had a ton of snaps played last year and played at a pretty high level. 

I'm curious to see how his game changes when he only has to play 60-75% of snaps instead of 90%+.

• Like 2

They've apparently turned down trades for Payne, so the picks were likely 4th round or worse as they'll eventually get an end of the 3rd comp pick if he walks.

Just interested in speculating about their plan???

Usually guys in this scenario ball out. I like Payne as he is a non-stop, chase down the play, and doesn't miss games or downs. I feel like he's going to want his bag too, of coarse, but can't see anyone giving him big money. He's 7th in the league with 47 solo tackles and tied for 19th in sacks with 5. How much do you lose from replacing him with Mathis? Probably not a big enough dropoff to justify the expense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Payne is severely underrated by fans here. His biggest positive is that he plays and plays a LOT. Guy had a ton of snaps played last year and played at a pretty high level. 

It comes down to Payne or Sweat, I'm paying Sweat.  It's a no brainer for me. I know both play different positions but let's see how the stats play out this year.  I think Sweat outplays Payne hands down.  

Edited by RWJ

16 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I disagree.  We have two starters and a rookie.  Wise?  C'mon man

Bring in Star Lotuleilei.

Yep. Wise is like the Jeremy Reaves of DLs. He's a guy you keep on the PS and call up sometime in the season when you are dealing with injuries. Same thing David Mayo.

The most important get would be a proven LB who could start as needed. I don't trust Davis and they need someone in case he ****s the bed, kind of like how the Ravens had Bynes for when Patrick Queen shat the bed this season.

I'd be fine if they brought a Darryl Roberts vet min type in to camp and they should also bring in a vet to compete for the 4th DT spot. If not Star, bring in a Danny Shelton type on a low ball deal to compete

On 6/4/2022 at 11:18 PM, Koolblue13 said:

What LBers are still available? 

I really want Collins back, but that probably won't happen until right before mini camps.

Been looking around:

Anthony Barr (got knee problems contemplated retirement)

Joe Schobert (ex-Jaguar could be extra useful)

A.J. Klein  (x-panther good 3rd down)

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I get that some might think that. Payne takes on a ton of double teams that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. But honestly,  is Payne anything game changing? Not as far as I've seen. And honestly,  if reports are accurate,  he certainly isn't worth Allen money.

Run stuffing, double teaming DTs are littered throughout the league.  And they can be had for pennies against the dollar. Guys like Allen are the ones you want to lock down for the big dollars. Payne is not Allen. And I like Payne, by the way. But he is replaceable.

HTTR!

That's what I believe they are going to do with Mathis. He plays the exact same way as payne and if he looks competent I think they let payne test FA next offseason.

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

It comes down to Payne or Sweat, I'm paying Sweat.  It's a no brainer for me. I know both play different positions but let's see how the stats play out this year.  I think Sweat outplays Payne hands down.  

I dunno. Sweat has yet to live up to his abilities, will be more expensive, and has shown to be immature.  If Young/Sweat don’t have a breakout season this year it’s time to change things up.

Payne is solid.  He allows you to ignore the middle of the line and concentrate on other things.  

I wouldn’t pay him too if the market money, but I’d pay him good money.

It could be they just do nothing and then choose which one they want to sign next off-season.  But I kindof think ideally they would get it done this year that way they know they have that locked up. 

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I think they have to deal with Swear next season also, so I’m pretty sure they don’t want to have to handle both at the same time.  

Which is why Payne this year makes sense. 

But they are not going to pay him Jon Allen money.  If that’s what he’s looking for then it won’t get done. 

Maybe Payne and Sweat are competing against each other this season for a long term contract in DC? 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe Payne and Sweat are competing against each other this season for a long term contract in DC? 

Yeah, it’s very possible.  Though maybe not necessarily a direct competition because of both of them ball out they could sign both, or if both disappoint, they could sign neither.  

The difference is, of course, Sweat is under contract for 2023, and Payne is not.  But if you’re going to extend him you’d prefer to do it prior to his 5th year option year.  But you don’t have to.  

• Like 1

One trade or free agent acquisition for all 32 NFL teams before 2022 training camp

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: SIGN LB JOE SCHOBERT

Schobert, 28, is just two years removed from signing a five-year, $53.75 million contract with the Jaguars yet remains unsigned since being released by the Steelers in March. Washington is counting on a second-year leap from Jamin Davis but would benefit from a veteran presence at linebacker.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-one-trade-free-agent-acquisition-all-32-teams-training-camp-2022#WSH

• Like 2

Feels like the team should look at extending Fuller this offseason.  You could make the argument St Juste is the succession plan there, but personally I think it makes more sense for him to (hopefully) supplant Jackson after this year.

50 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Feels like the team should look at extending Fuller this offseason.  You could make the argument St Juste is the succession plan there, but personally I think it makes more sense for him to (hopefully) supplant Jackson after this year.

He's under contract for 2 more years.  Next off-season, if they want to extend him, they can.  This year, there's not point. 

He's under contract for 2 more years.  Next off-season, if they want to extend him, they can.  This year, there's not point. 

That’s so strange, I would have sworn we signed him to a 3 year deal.  And that’s not just because 3 years has sort of been SOP (Roullier, Samuel, Thomas, Jackson, etc), or I got him mixed up with someone else… I’ve thought it since we signed him.  Well alrighty then.  Thanks :)

@Skinsinparadise isn’t App State in Colorado? (I’ve always thought it is, could be very wrong. Entirely possible I’m wrong, as until recently I thought Villanova was in VA) 

or Ron was out in Denver checking on Chase Young, since he’s still there continuing his rehab? 

EDIT: never mind. App state is in NC. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

28 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Skinsinparadise isn’t App State in Colorado? (I’ve always thought it is, could be very wrong. Entirely possible I’m wrong, as until recently I thought Villanova was in VA) 

or Ron was out in Denver checking on Chase Young, since he’s still there continuing his rehab? 

EDIT: never mind. App state is in NC. 

Could be as to Chase, good call.  

27 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Something Chase related makes sense to me.

Like shuttling out team doctors to get a first hand examination of his progress and figure out the next few steps in recovery. Its not exactly like they could look at an Xray, they may need to test things like elasticity and feel swelling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Something Chase related makes sense to me.

Like shuttling out team doctors to get a first hand examination of his progress and figure out the next few steps in recovery. Its not exactly like they could look at an Xray, they may need to test things like elasticity and feel swelling.

Or just shuttling Chase back and forth.

Could be anything.  But Chase is a theory which fits the facts. 

Or just shuttling Chase back and forth.

Could be anything.  But Chase is a theory which fits the facts. 

Complete waste of money to fuel a private jet for a check up. Why not send the Dr on a first class ticket commercial flight and save the ~20k

unless it was an emergency or multitasking

Edited by TheShredder
cost 20k
  • Like 1