Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh there were reports they wanted to. Not very loud reports but a few here and there.  It wasn’t a priority but they probably would have been happy to have him back at the right price as a 4th rotational guy. I think Keim said it a few times.  

I didn’t care at all either way. 

You rarely here a coach say "yeah, we don't want him back" and tacking on "at the right price" is just a lazy cop out to express that.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That’s fair.  

I loathe that term. I'd buy a Ferrari to drive on my dirt road, but at the right price.

I bought a ZR1 Camaro to use at a circle track endoro derby race once, but it was $300 so it was worth it for the day.  :ols:

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The drama of Settle around here reminds me a lot of when Baker was let go and went to the Bucs. I was one of his loudest supporters and he did nothing after here.

I think the biggest difference was that Baker played in a talent desert, while Settle was the 4rth best on a very talented group and could barely get on the field. 

Let's not disrespect Baker because of Settle. Baker was good and probably our best guy on the DL for a while. For whatever reason it didn't work out but I think he just got the short end of the stick. 

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim supposedly mentioned that they have some potential interest in Barr.  I am seeing mentions of this on twitter

Well they need to bring in another LB at some point...lets go!

https://riggosrag.com/2022/06/28/reacting-bleacher-report-4-trade-proposals-commanders-payne-sweat-heinicke/4/

1. Daron Payne to Detroit

Recouping a second-round pick and a seasoned veteran in Brockers for Payne, who’s likely to leave in free agency next offseason anyway, would be smart business by the Commanders. Brockers wasn’t at his best in 2021 (his 40.6 PFF player grade was an extreme outlier relative to his career output), but that can be attributed to the fact he was playing on a porous Lions defensive front.

3. Dyami Brown to Seattle

Commanders get: CB Sidney Jones

Seahawks get: WR Dyami Brown

The only player swap on this list, this trade would actually make sense for both Washington and Seattle. We are NOT in favor of trading Brown, who was clearly hindered by Taylor Heinicke’s poor arm strength as a rookie. That’s not to say Brown didn’t disappoint, but his ability to track the deep ball will be a much better fit with Carson Wentz, who was among the NFL’s best deep-ball throwers in 2021.

2. Montez Sweat to Los Angeles

Rams get: Edge Montez Sweat

Commanders get: 2023 second-round pick

This trade might make little sense at face value, but it’ll look even more delusional once you see Wharton’s next Commanders trade. Our first takeaway? Why would Washington trade Sweat after exercising his fifth-year option? That locked him under contract for 2023, so it’s not like he’s an impending free agent.

4. Taylor Heinicke to Cincinnati

Bengals get: QB Taylor Heinicke

Commanders get: 2023 fifth-round pick

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://riggosrag.com/2022/06/28/reacting-bleacher-report-4-trade-proposals-commanders-payne-sweat-heinicke/4/

1. Daron Payne to Detroit

Recouping a second-round pick and a seasoned veteran in Brockers for Payne, who’s likely to leave in free agency next offseason anyway, would be smart business by the Commanders. Brockers wasn’t at his best in 2021 (his 40.6 PFF player grade was an extreme outlier relative to his career output), but that can be attributed to the fact he was playing on a porous Lions defensive front.

3. Dyami Brown to Seattle

Commanders get: CB Sidney Jones

Seahawks get: WR Dyami Brown

The only player swap on this list, this trade would actually make sense for both Washington and Seattle. We are NOT in favor of trading Brown, who was clearly hindered by Taylor Heinicke’s poor arm strength as a rookie. That’s not to say Brown didn’t disappoint, but his ability to track the deep ball will be a much better fit with Carson Wentz, who was among the NFL’s best deep-ball throwers in 2021.

2. Montez Sweat to Los Angeles

Rams get: Edge Montez Sweat

Commanders get: 2023 second-round pick

This trade might make little sense at face value, but it’ll look even more delusional once you see Wharton’s next Commanders trade. Our first takeaway? Why would Washington trade Sweat after exercising his fifth-year option? That locked him under contract for 2023, so it’s not like he’s an impending free agent.

4. Taylor Heinicke to Cincinnati

Bengals get: QB Taylor Heinicke

Commanders get: 2023 fifth-round pick

Hell to the no.  

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Hell to the no.  

The Payne trade makes sense if we aren't planning on resigning him and trading WR4, for a decent CB makes sense too. I wouldn't trade Sweat and don't want to trade Payne at all, but Brown for a CB is a good trade and so is the Heinicke trade.

• Like 2

Payne for a 2nd and a solid vet DT like Brockers would actually be a good trade, but why would Detroit make it? They're rebuilding and wouldn't want to give up assets to acquire a guy who, while still young, will require a payday to hang on to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Payne for a 2nd and a solid vet DT like Brockers would actually be a good trade, but why would Detroit make it? They're rebuilding and wouldn't want to give up assets to acquire a guy who, while still young, will require a payday to hang on to.

Devil’s advocate- Lions have a young team and picks but struggle to attract free agents. So a trade would allow them to get some top end talent infused into the team. The real issue is if Payne/Lions would accept a trade without a contract extension. If they worked out a contract extension, I could see Detroit doing it. If they really like the player and intend to bid high for his services in FA you could potentially get him without competing with massive offers from other more desirable teams (LA, Dallas, etc.)

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have 3 starting caliber DTs right now and Wise. Itll be fine. Our line is stacked.

Ive given a lot of thought to this. The only spot im really concerned about depth is linebacker. And even at Lber its depth behind Holcomb and Davis more than anything. I think they are fine at corner. Your corners are going to be Fuller, Wj3, St. juste, johnson, holmes. As far as depth goes at cb its already built into the roster. Curl and mccain both have experience playing slot corner at a high level. So if wj3 or fuller gets hurt st juste likely slides outside and you can either slide one of the two safeties or johnson into the slot role when needed. I think the depth at cb is fine and its a big reason why Ron preaches positional versatility 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd feel better w/ an additional good DT

We are at bare minimum levels of being able to give our starters a blow and certainly in trouble in the event of an injury.

I think they liked a few of the young guys as rotational guys.  

What they need is a "Tim Settle" type of guy who can take 10-15% of snaps.  

There is a chance that guy is already on the roster, or if not, shouldn't be that hard to find.  

I'm more curious about the secondary, and who is going to fill what spots, and then who the backups will be.