Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I wouldn't hate signing the honey badger, but to be clear, I'm not saying signing Alexander Johnson should prevent them from drafting a LB.  If Lloyd is their bpa at 11 or muma at 47, pull the trigger.  Johnson isn't a guy that has solved the problem long term, but he is a guy that gives us a significant upgrade to what we currently have.  I hate going into a draft with a gaping hole like we have at MLB, bc then they are prone to reach and not get maximum value with their picks, like they did with jamin last year.  If we sign AJ, we take BPA and if it's not a MLB, no big deal, we bought some time to find the long term solution.

I’m kind of open minded to what direction we go, sounds like we enquired over P.Peterson, we need DB help. we are looking at DL depth, a LB and/or hybrid fit. We just need players. They also want to surround Wentz with talent. 

We need to pull some players in before the draft. Badly.

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

A Wagner signing doesn’t impact compensation picks (he was released). 

Yep I know. I was replying to a comment not connected to Wagner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

All I know is we need to sign the Rams cap guy. They keep finding money and working deals and we are scared to spend any.🤦🏻‍♂️

They eventually will have to let go of a lot of talent.  They have a small window and then bam!  

• Like 1

Wagner was never coming here period.  He said he wanted to play for a contender. (doesn't everybody)  I would argue that is even more a big factor with someone like him who has always played for a contender.  That eliminated this franchise from him even looking this way since this franchise has not resembled a contender in what 25 plus years.

• Like 2

2. LB Alexander Johnson

6 OF 7

hi-res-bca4d2e25b350e59c3d80c52d09bfe6b_
David Zalubowski/Associated Press

Alexander Johnson has been lights out when on the field. He was the Denver Broncos' highest-graded run-defending linebacker, per PFF, in both 2019 and 2021. However, that 2021 campaign was cut short after six games because of a torn pectoral muscle. 

The injury risk combined with the fact that Johnson will be 30 years old this season have to be contributing factors to his prolonged free-agency process. 

But the tools are there for him to thrive in the right role. In addition to his ability to fly to the ball in the run game, he can hold his own in coverage. Johnson gave up just four yards per target last season. 

The Washington Commanders linebacker room is fairly unremarkable. Cole Holcomb was the highest-graded of the bunch last year and ranked 41st among NFL linebackers, per PFF. By contrast, Johnson carried an 81.0 mark and would instantly improve the group.

Best Fit: Washington Commanders

Everyone can see it and we can’t!!!

He will not break the bank. On par with our philosophy. He is good. Don’t have to draft lb at #11. Come on Ron it’s right in front of you. 

imagine sign this guy draft Hamilton or if he is taken London or Wilson. 

This guy fits like a glove. People have played after a pec injury,right?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sebestian said:

2. LB Alexander Johnson

6 OF 7

hi-res-bca4d2e25b350e59c3d80c52d09bfe6b_
David Zalubowski/Associated Press

Alexander Johnson has been lights out when on the field. He was the Denver Broncos' highest-graded run-defending linebacker, per PFF, in both 2019 and 2021. However, that 2021 campaign was cut short after six games because of a torn pectoral muscle. 

The injury risk combined with the fact that Johnson will be 30 years old this season have to be contributing factors to his prolonged free-agency process. 

But the tools are there for him to thrive in the right role. In addition to his ability to fly to the ball in the run game, he can hold his own in coverage. Johnson gave up just four yards per target last season. 

The Washington Commanders linebacker room is fairly unremarkable. Cole Holcomb was the highest-graded of the bunch last year and ranked 41st among NFL linebackers, per PFF. By contrast, Johnson carried an 81.0 mark and would instantly improve the group.

Best Fit: Washington Commanders

Everyone can see it and we can’t!!!

He will not break the bank. On par with our philosophy. He is good. Don’t have to draft lb at #11. Come on Ron it’s right in front of you. 

imagine sign this guy draft Hamilton or if he is taken London or Wilson. 

This guy fits like a glove. People have played after a pec injury,right?  

I've pointed this out before. He was not the playcaller in Denver. It was Josey Jewell. I'm not saying it's something he can't do but the FO would really need to dig into whether he has the football IQ to play MLB in a 4-3 scheme. If they make a move for someone in FA, I think it is more likely Schobert

We don't need Wagner.  He did not want to play here.  No problem, go to the Rams.  I want guys who want to be here.  ie Norwell.  Hungary.  Give me Johnson.  Don't forget D. Campbell signed with Packers last year in June (1 yr 2 Million), then had an all pro season and got his bag. I am as inpatient as the next person, I think I would get upset if Johnson was not at least offered contract, wined and dined a bit.  Hopefully they are just kidding about this Holcomb thing.  In Ron we trust????

On a side note how in the world are the Jets playing the second hardest schedule.  If you finish with poor record your supposed to play a weak schedule.  Jet fans=tough.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's been the Ravens bread and butter offseason strategy for a long time.  Protect the comp picks.

Yes but they combine that with other strategies, like trading players for picks, trading back for picks. 

I like the Wentz trade, but trading away a 3rd in 2022 and a probable 2nd in 2023 doesn’t follow the same path in terms of being precious over a potential 7th rounder in 2023 for Tim Settle....

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yes but they combine that with other strategies, like trading players for picks, trading back for picks. 

I like the Wentz trade, but trading away a 3rd in 2022 and a probable 2nd in 2023 doesn’t follow the same path in terms of being precious over a potential 7th rounder in 2023 for Tim Settle....

I get you're being a bit sarcastic, but I don't think the team cares that much about the Settle pick. The problem is the gap between Settle and Scherff with no other free agents lost. The way the system works, signing virtually anyone forfeits the Scherff pick unless it's so low key that it doesn't count at all. Offsetting just the Settle pick and nothing else would require a contract almost exact to his, which is possible but unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

well, if we lose our second in 2023, you know what two third rounders are good for?  Trading back into the second round!

And who knows, maybe Allen does something in Houston.  It's not just money that makes comp picks, right? 

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I'm a therapist. The number of times I hear this per day is ridiculous.

MY NAME IS NOT SCOOTER

That explains alot. 🤣🤣🤣 My daughter sees a therapist.  And I continue to tell her that while I support it, I don't think they know any better than the the rest of us.

I respect the hell out of you and just having some fun. But honestly,  you seem like the kind of fella that would have an Ole boy come in and you'd talk him out of suicide and he'd talk you into it. 🤣🤣🤣

HTTR!

• Thumb down 1

44 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Good find!

If past is prologue the division will come down to either us, the Eagles or the Giants. (The NFC East doesnt do repeat winners).

If we get Terry some help, add a young energetic run first rb as a backup, and  Logan  returns to form, I like our offenses chances with Wentz under center.

Just need the D to return to it's 2020 form.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I get you're being a bit sarcastic, but I don't think the team cares that much about the Settle pick. The problem is the gap between Settle and Scherff with no other free agents lost. The way the system works, signing virtually anyone forfeits the Scherff pick unless it's so low key that it doesn't count at all. Offsetting just the Settle pick and nothing else would require a contract almost exact to his, which is possible but unlikely.

We don’t have a 5th this year because we wanted a LS in the 6th last year. I’m kind of saying we aren’t comparable to the Ravens strategically really...

48 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Last year we played the hardest schedule after the season was complete, right? Meaning it wasn’t the hardest prior to the season…

This year we have the easiest… based on last season. That changes and evolves pretty quick. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Last year we played the hardest schedule after the season was complete, right? Meaning it wasn’t the hardest prior to the season…

This year we have the easiest… based on last season. That changes and evolves pretty quick. 

It's the "easiest schedule" but you have a lot of challenging teams you have to play. Without the benefit of injuries, I break the schedule down into 2 buckets:

Should wins (7 games): Lions, Texans, Falcons, Bears, Jaguars and Giants (2x)

Challenging games (10 games): Eagles (2x), the Cowboys (2x), Vikings, Browns (becomes should win if Watson in suspended and we play them early), Titans, 9ers, and Colts

If you go any lower than 5-2 against the "should wins," making the playoffs may be a challenge

38 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We don’t have a 5th this year because we wanted a LS in the 6th last year. I’m kind of saying we aren’t comparable to the Ravens strategically really...

I know they also essentially got Toney and WBK in that trade too but, still, I agree...that was an idiotic trade

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’ll add that even with all that happened last year, if Fitz hadn’t gotten hurt, they probably win 2-3 more games and might be in the playoffs.

Wentz should cover up even more holes.  He’s not elite but he’s better than what we’ve had which should help.

I think I posted this in the QB thread, but what they’re doing is running back year 2 of the rebuild and basically pretending last year didn’t exist, but this time with better QB play.  

Yeah OK....where do you get some of these theories? They're seriously running back year 2 of the rebuild? What rebuild? Fitz couldn't last a full game and you have him winning 2-3 more games for us? I guess if we had Cousins we'd have won 6 more games? Wentz should cover up even more holes? How can you get any more holes than losing your #2 WR, starting TE and both RB's down the stretch? Pass the bottle please.

• Like 1