Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

52 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I really took the news of Wentz coming here quite poorly. He was literally the last one I wanted to come here out of all the list of available QBs. Its just weird, all of the reasons of why I didn't want him here, all of the reasons we're being told we shouldn't want him here, don't seem to hold water. He isn't particularly injury prone, he isn't a turnover machine, he's not uncoachable, he's not a locker room cancer, etc. This seriously seems like a hit job on Wentz from the Colt's front office, all accounts say its Irsay and not the coaches. Not only did the Colts fantastically fail on this move, but I'm going to not only say we capitalized on it, but we came out with the much better end of the deal. I've gone from hating the ideas of Wentz coming here to be excited to see what he will do next season. I'm officially on board!

I'm really glad we dodged the Deshaun Watson bullet, I honestly don't know why everyone in the media is bowing down to the Browns organization on making this move. They gave up WAY too much for Watson, too many picks and too much money. Everyone says the guy is good, but he hasn't actually done anything of note yet in the NFL. I don't think he's worth what was given, he may make the Browns better, but the hit at draft picks/cap/players traded will hurt them more and for longer than Watson will be helpful.

Also, Watson was clearly in it for the money. All these snippets of info coming out saying that he won't go to this team or that team...it was all about money. I want to see this guy fail, sorry, but I don't like him.

Last, but not least, can we all say "**** the Bills"? Not only Brandon Beane for being a little crybaby ****, but also the entire Bills Mafia. Yes, I know they do some great things for charity and whatnot, but these fans are feeding way too much off their own ego. Hearing their thoughts about us and McKissic is pretty pathetic, these fans are elitists and I have no idea why. They were only relevant for a four year period in which they accomplished 4 straight, Super Bowl losses. Over on their message board, they can't believe that we wouldn't let them have our guy, JD. He belongs with us, not Buffalo.

I think it is because they went to 4 straight super bowls and lost all of them.  I am in Toronto, and we get their sports station on the am dial 550.  Their fans are insufferable and the dis are overtly entitled for a team that sucked for a while.  Sometimes I feel bad for them because it is not their fault, Buffalo is like an armpit.  Been their to watch hockey games mostly.  Their fans are such arrogant pos.

I guess the tampering period means that you should give up if the your player agrees with another team.  Do we know if the agent is the one that contacted Washington said Mckissic will come back at this number.  I mean, he wanted to play here.  Brandon Scherff wanted to play elsewhere.  He did not break the bank and we offered a ton of money before the second tag.  Are we crying about that.  

Buffalo now thinks that they are the best team in the league which makes this fanbase over the top insufferable, and if Beane does not get it, well I am not sure what to say.  Washington always said they would let  the players that are fa test fa and set the market and if we wanted to match, we would.

Why are we wasting time with a team that doesn't deserve it.

Hail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Look. I am not exactly against the Wentz move. But to claim I dont have questions is ridiculous. Franchise QB's dont get tossed in back to back off seasons. They get 50 Mill per year guaranteed in the modern NFL. I am willing to let this play out. But dont insult my intelligence by claiming there are no questions with this move. 

Does she have 22+ of them?

I think you are taking his statement too literally. There are questions for every player in the league, yes even the best of the best. He is just saying that he and the team have done their due diligence and know what they are getting into. That they are satisfied this has a great chance of working out. But I think it's 100% expected that until he starts playing and we all see how he operates in the offence there are million questions to be asked by everyone, including Ron R. Again, I took it to mean they did thier research and were 100% OK with what they found out. 

For me, my concerns about him are on the field. The crap off the field does not fit. Philly took a dive in 2020 and Carson and Pederson took the fall. That organization has also trashed several other players out the door that was bull****. D Jackson comes to mind. And Irsay is a ****ing drug addict. All indications I have seen are that Ballard and Reich did not want to move Carson but Irsay made them. Not hard to imagine the owner "leaking" bull**** to justify his decision. If you look at Carson's entire year he did well. Yea, he made some bonehead mistakes but I think Ron and Scott can help him clean those up. 

The real issue for the colts was he and the entire team **** the bed the last two weeks, including a really bad loss to Jacksonville when it looked like they were locks for the POs. Irsay needed too look like he was doing something so Carson was the sacrificial lamb. But hey, maybe it's true. If the negative rumors are true, they have a clean out after this year and they can focus on a much better draft for QBs. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Last, but not least, can we all say "**** the Bills"? Not only Brandon Beane for being a little crybaby ****, but also the entire Bills Mafia. Yes, I know they do some great things for charity and whatnot, but these fans are feeding way too much off their own ego. Hearing their thoughts about us and McKissic is pretty pathetic, these fans are elitists and I have no idea why. They were only relevant for a four year period in which they accomplished 4 straight, Super Bowl losses. Over on their message board, they can't believe that we wouldn't let them have our guy, JD. He belongs with us, not Buffalo.

I doubt there is any whining if this occurs with any team other than Washington due to the Carolina connections. It is called tampering time. Get over it Beaner! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I find it odd that Wagner hasn’t signed anywhere and I wonder what the hold up is. I figured he’d be gone in the first 48 hours. 

I have been thinking that of Wagner and Mathieu.

Also on Mariota and Winston after all the teams these guys were linked to, this has been the craziest QB off season 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

As the dust settles I expect them to dive into the bargain basement for some cut players

I believe you’re right.  @sebastian I’ll add that the top 100 FA list would only be an average of 3ish per team, so there’s even more (albeit less heralded) talent out there still.  In FA last year our big 3 were Fitzpatrick, WJIII and Samuel… but we also added McKissick, Leno, McCain, Humphries, Carter, RSJ, etc.  Plenty of time left.

@SimmsyI had a similar take on Wentz - I leaned a bit negative, but have swung the other way.  Colts (and Eagles before them) did well in the smear campaign.

@goskins10 I took RR’s comment about questions the same way - he’s comfortable with the answers he’s gotten to his questions about Wentz.  That’s separate from knowing how this will actually play out.  He even spells it out when he talks about the info he received about his character (work ethic, leadership, etc), diving into his stats, and in terms of how he fits the offense.  On top of that, Ron believes he was the best qb available to us.  Don’t blame him for having confidence in the move.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Still no where near enough weapons on this team to be a serious threat to win double digit games. Ron and co better pray they nail the draft. 

The optimistic view says there are - we have a good #1, a good #2 (though I think Samuel is a better fit in the slot), two good backs, a good TE, and Brown (if he reaches his potential) and Bates are nice contributors.  Our qb play should be much improved, our D should be better/more consistent than last year, our schedule looks much easier.

The flip side - there are legitimate questions about the health of Samuel and Thomas, and Brown is potential only at this point.  Oline and Dline depth are much worse.  I’ll feel a lot better if we can land a talented/promising pass catcher or two and up our depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I find it odd that Wagner hasn’t signed anywhere and I wonder what the hold up is. I figured he’d be gone in the first 48 hours. 

48 hours? He's been available to sign since March 8. He didn't have to wait until March 14. Clearly he's seeking more money than anyone is willing to offer at this point.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The optimistic view says there are - we have a good #1, a good #2 (though I think Samuel is a better fit in the slot), two good backs, a good TE, and Brown (if he reaches his potential) and Bates are nice contributors.  Our qb play should be much improved, our D should be better/more consistent than last year, our schedule looks much easier.

The flip side - there are legitimate questions about the health of Samuel and Thomas, and Brown is potential only at this point.  Oline and Dline depth are much worse.  I’ll feel a lot better if we can land a talented/promising pass catcher or two and up our depth.

I am on the optimistic side for the offense. If they had resigned RSJ and Lucas I'd say they really just need an RB2, QB2 or 3 and WR2 or 3. 

These voids can be filled through the FA bargain bin on one year deals and mid round draft. Still hoping Lucas is brought back to settle the swing. 

The D definitely needs a LB, FS, CB and DT depth

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That is an optimistic view. But any time you add caveats to guys you are basically saying that you can’t rely on their production going into the season. We have a lot of that. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, sebestian said:

I think it is because they went to 4 straight super bowls and lost all of them.  I am in Toronto, and we get their sports station on the am dial 550.  Their fans are insufferable and the dis are overtly entitled for a team that sucked for a while.  Sometimes I feel bad for them because it is not their fault, Buffalo is like an armpit.  Been their to watch hockey games mostly.  Their fans are such arrogant pos.

I guess the tampering period means that you should give up if the your player agrees with another team.  Do we know if the agent is the one that contacted Washington said Mckissic will come back at this number.  I mean, he wanted to play here.  Brandon Scherff wanted to play elsewhere.  He did not break the bank and we offered a ton of money before the second tag.  Are we crying about that.  

Buffalo now thinks that they are the best team in the league which makes this fanbase over the top insufferable, and if Beane does not get it, well I am not sure what to say.  Washington always said they would let  the players that are fa test fa and set the market and if we wanted to match, we would.

Why are we wasting time with a team that doesn't deserve it.

Hail

The Buffalo situation reminds me of a something that happened to our team back in 2012.  We had a WR that played for the Broncos, WR Eddie Royal that we met with, took out to dinner and was told her was signing and it was a done deal.  Nothing came of it and another team swooped in and signed him.  If memory serves me correctly, the Chargers ended up signing him but this situation of the Bill reminds me of what happened to us with Royal.

24 minutes ago, Jericho said:

48 hours? He's been available to sign since March 8. He didn't have to wait until March 14. Clearly he's seeking more money than anyone is willing to offer at this point.

That's my thoughs, Jericho. :)  

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Considering Ron actually spoke with several of his prior coaches, I think it’s safe to say he is just a tad bit more in the know about Wentz than you.  

Where did I claim to be more in the know than Ron? I simply stated that franchise QB's dont get tossed by teams in back to back seasons. It just doesnt happen. So there is clearly something there. Now can Ron get more out Wentz than those two teams? Who knows. But we are going to find out. 

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am on the optimistic side for the offense. If they had resigned RSJ and Lucas I'd say they really just need an RB2, QB2 or 3 and WR2 or 3. 

These voids can be filled through the FA bargain bin on one year deals and mid round draft. Still hoping Lucas is brought back to settle the swing. 

The D definitely needs a LB, FS, CB and DT depth

The O needs a backup to Gibson, a swing tackle, one more guard, a veteran TE and another starting caliber WR

The D needs 2 rotational DTs, another rotational DE, a starting caliber MLB, at least one more proven depth LB w upside, a backup FS, a starting nickel and one more outside corner

ST needs a return man

That’s 13 needs. If you bring back Carter, Lucas and Johnson, that solves three. You can pick up at least 1 LB, 1 DT, 1 TE in free agency and should also get a RB, a G, and a CB in FA. That would bring your need list down to 4 for the draft and allow you to do more BPA, which would allow us to hit on more draft picks

Between the 9 proposed FAs, I would be shocked if we are looking at more than $17M in salaries and likely less. 

How much cap is remaining that can be used pre June 1 for FAs?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Where did I claim to be more in the know than Ron? I simply stated that franchise QB's dont get tossed by teams in back to back seasons. It just doesnt happen. So there is clearly something there. Now can Ron get more out Wentz than those two teams? Who knows. But we are going to find out. 

You said that you had questions, and he doesn’t.  He was clearly making a point that he’s done his due diligence and feels good about it.  

• Like 1

bottom line we are not better on paper than last yr...sure i think we get a bump in qb play and maybe that makes us better, but we have lost depth, havent addressed lb and could use another wideout ..idk dont like to bee a debbie downer but it just stinks to me! 

24 minutes ago, method man said:

How much cap is remaining that can be used pre June 1 for FAs?

We have the ability to create a whole load of cap space. For me it’s a non factor, however as yet there isn’t much happening on that front at all.....