Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Julio would be ... interesting. Would very clearly be an all-in move. But he's got massive injury concerns and is on the wrong side of WR purgatory at 30+

I'd rather draft a guy early, and have him on a rookie deal for 4-5 years.

Yeah, Tennessee needs help across from Brown and they pass.  I'd sign Julio for a modest deal, but I doubt he comes here.

Just now, 86 Snyder said:

Never said that.  I’m saying it’s a two way street.  He can angle his way out all he wants, that’s his right, but if you don’t show any loyalty (and he’s made it clear he had no interest in being here) then it’s natural to respond in kind.  He said **** off first, I’m saying it back.

So you can acknowledge that this team is generally a dumpster fire, at its worst in Scherff’s formative years in the league.  Yet you can’t respect him not having any loyalty to the organization.  

13 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Maybe the Commanders reneged, cancelled the trade, cut a bevy of players and decided to go all in for a free agent to be determined later. lol

Commanders just officially announced Carson Wentz trade.  Like I said, 4 PM was the deadline now the official announcements start happening.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Julio would be ... interesting. Would very clearly be an all-in move. But he's got massive injury concerns and is on the wrong side of WR purgatory at 30+

I'd rather draft a guy early, and have him on a rookie deal for 4-5 years.

Agreed, big no to Julio for me. he is the kind of guy I would want if I felt we were close to making a run. we've still got 2 to 3 years of roster building before we're ready to make that kind of move in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Commanders just officially announced Carson Wentz trade.  Like I said, 4 PM was the deadline now the official announcements start happening.

He apparently is already here, there is a video of him being interview in studio with Julie Donaldson.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Define "go all in" and what future window are you talking about?

I looked into 2023, we'll have around $60 million in cap space, but then look who's free agents for us:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2023/all/washington-commanders/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2023/

So lets say Payne and McLaurin get $15 million each (I think it will be higher, but who knows) , in context that Allen makes $21 million in 2023 and Samuels makes $13 million.

That would leave us with $30 million to resign players like Hineckie, Ionnidas, Holcomb, Flowers, and our draft picks. Who are we gonna cut or lose that we really don't want to, like Collins, in order to make that work? That could all be done, but where is the cap space to "go all in" in 2023?  

We look like we have a choice of keeping those folks I mentioned, or accepting a lot of them or a major one goes jus so we can add a single high value replacement, not addition to what we have.  What I don't see is room to keep everyone then go into free agency to add more talent to this team with a big splash, we can't this year and we can't next year, so when can we?

I don't agree that it's not impacting present or future plans.  I jus laid out my reasoning for 2023 and earlier in the thread brought up my concerns that we are losing more starters to free agency right now then we are adding or replacing.

This doesn't sound like a situation to mass import talent into this team via free agency anytime soon. It looks more like barely being able to keep this team together and hoping that it overachieves.

“Going all in” for a SB window would be manipulating the cap to stack a roster to contend for 2-3 seasons. For example the potential future deals you mention in regards to Mcclaurin or Payne can easily be kicked into the future (lowering the cap hit early on significantly) if team felt a SB window presented itself. Take a look at the contracts of Donald, Kupp, and Ramsey on the Rams last year for the “all in” window. The Packers and how they structured Rodgers deal is another example of going all in. 

Washington has been mediocre is previous years with a similar cap situation to a SB contending team. Bruce Allen did clear this up, so it’s been awhile. The cap situation is great shape. Admittedly, I dislike giving 13% of the cap for a top 15 type QB, but there’s little future financial risk in an attempt to strike lightening in a bottle with a high ceiling QB. 

Let’s say Wentz rediscovers himself and leads to 12 win season and a playoff win. The team would be in fantastic shape to be aggressive and “go all in” the following season. The other side of it is the Titans, they’ve just jumped out of their SB window and are now facing “some” repercussions for manipulating the cap, leading to their SB window potentially closing. 

The roster continues to improve while being a financially responsible “middling” team. When ready to rise to elite, go “all in”. 

Edited by wit33

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

See, this is what a competent organization (Washington Commanders), with a stable ownership, stadium and back office structure, where FA want to sign with looks like!   My heads spinning. That damn janitor still has access to the computer in Ashburn.

In other news, since the compensation to McK is the same, he gets to keep more of it in VA than in NY. 

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

Both starting Guards gone.  I hope the team isn't going to wait until the draft to fill these holes

It wouldn't surprise me if OG, I like Green from Texas A&M is our pick at #11 if still there.  He should be. 

• Thumb down 1

By the way the answer to my question is 30 min a day. 

what are the amount of minutes our eyes are closed during a day as a result of blinking. 

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Everyone happily seems to be on the same page regarding Julio.  Was a great player, but 3 straight years of statistical decline, 2 straight injury plagued seasons, and even when healthy in those two seasons his TDs/Game and Yards/Game have really fallen off the past 2 years.

That would be a Cerrato trade, probably a first

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, big no to Julio for me. he is the kind of guy I would want if I felt we were close to making a run. we've still got 2 to 3 years of roster building before we're ready to make that kind of move in my opinion.

2-3 years is a lifetime. Ron and company are attempting to open the window this season. The time to contend is the next 2-3 seasons. Not saying it will happen, but the vibe I get is Ron is ready to compete and no longer will we hear about rebuilding and all that. Time to perform. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HogsVa7 said:

I thought we resigned Cam Simms?

I don’t know. I check every 15-20 mins and miss 15 things. Usually it’s us releasing someone that we didn’t release or losing someone that’s back or some other shenanigans.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They're going to have some asset somehow after they trade Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker.  

They might do either of these things, or they would have ammo to go up in the draft and get a guy.

Or they could do nothing, suck again next year, and then position themselves to pick a QB in the 2023 draft.

My money would be on Mariota or Pryor, or somebody like that if they don't get a QB back in a trade of Baker.  

The question REALLY is, why didn't they trade him last week, and would the Commanders have preferred Wentz or Baker.

Personally, I THINK I prefer Wentz. But Baker's contract situation is better. 

Pryor, as in Terrelle Pryor?  Well that would be a shock….

I’d suggest Jennifer Gardner take over their GM role if that came to pass, lol.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Carson looks thrilled haha.  Thats the look my wife gives me when I convince her to stop for one more drink on our way home and she shoots me daggers like "did we really need to come here I want to leave ASAP".

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, KillBill26 said:

Carson looks thrilled haha.  Thats the look my wife gives me when I convince her to stop for one more drink on our way home and she shoots me daggers like "did we really need to come here I want to leave ASAP".

*Good news is the Colts did him so dirty with rumors that he will atleast be happy to have a coaching staff and front office that went out of their way to get him here. 

*I'm not accepting any argument to this I don't care how founded in reality it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that TakeCommand is just so cringy (along with the name)... Carson had to fight back the laughter when he was trying to say that.

would have been awesome if he had dropped an HTTR.

Edited by slinky
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2