Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running on the Rollercoaster: Antonio Gibson and the Rushers

Burgold

26 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So does McKissick being out Sunday mean a bigger pass receiving role for Gibson?  Haven't people wanted a bigger pass catching role for the former wide receiver?

I think they will give many of those touches to Patterson and Smallwood

2 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Zeke isn't even the best RB on his team.  Pro bowl is a popularity contest.

He is playing hurt and needs to sit

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

If our RB rotation next week consists of just Gibby Pat and Smalls then Gibby has a super high chance at setting another career high in carries.

And against that garbage Raiders defense the same week pro bowl voting starts. Could work out alright. 

• 2 weeks later...

What in the heck are we going to do with AG in the shorter term (eg. Next week) and further out?!?

his fumble absolutely killed our mojo after Sims’s deep TD on the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter.

an RB who fumbles a lot is as bad as a kicker who misses extra points…. And we know what happened to Dusty.

it may be too late for him to switch careers?

image.gif.e416efaf9ef18fe65d88bf26ca91844b.gif

• Haha 2

I think we saw how important JD McKissic is to this team. Outside of OLs, when it comes to importance, he is the 3rd most valuable weapon this team has after Terry and AG. The guy's ability to create first downs after the catch is something no other back on this roster can mimic. We really need him back next week if we want to play ball control vs the Eagles

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Pair him with a real power back and stop using him like a traditional 1970s style RB. He's a hybrid weapon. Line him up out wide. Put him in space. He's closer to Kamara and McCaffery and were trying to use him like he's Derrick Henry.

He doesn’t have the ball skills of kamara or McCaffrey or Debo. He also has heavy feet 

• Like 1

Gibson is simply a huge liability on 3rd downs and worse keeps fumbling the ball.

That's not going to work in the NFL and is every coaches nightmare. Think Olsen was saying in the NFL that's 1 and 2 while actually running the ball is a distant 3rd. 

If JD can't play we have to bring in someone that can pickup blitzes on 3rd downs. I understand no RB is going to block Micah Parsons 1 on 1 but Gibson can't be a liability out there. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:33 PM, ggarriso said:

butter fingers Gibson has more fumbles than any other RB in the NFL, you cant have that liability on the field

OK I think we're overstating the problem here.

Antonio Gibson has lost 4 fumbles this season. That's not good.  But 10 other running backs have multiple fumbles. And only one of those has more carries than Gibson has.  He needs to hold onto the ball.  But let's not get carried away and write him off as more trouble than he's worth.

• Like 2

Came across this. Not only are Gibsons fumbling problems a big red flag. So is this stat. And it goes to how poor AG's vison really is. He is number 2 in the league in perfectly blocked plays. But number 7 on yards off of those perfectly blocked plays. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Came across this. Not only are Gibsons fumbling problems a big red flag. So is this stat. And it goes to how poor AG's vison really is. He is number 2 in the league in perfectly blocked plays. But number 7 on yards off of those perfectly blocked plays. 

What a monster Taylor is. Wild, how the elites really do jump off the screen. He’s unbelievable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Gibson is not a true RB. I don’t understand why we are trying to make a WR into a lead runner.

Hundreds of RB in college football and fringe NFL players would be better than this experiment.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, method man said:

I think they will give many of those touches to Patterson and Smallwood

He is playing hurt and needs to sit

I think you're right, but I almost wish they'd reverse it just to see what happened. Double or triple Patterson's carries and try out Gibson as the pass catching back. Just make it clear to Gibson that this is not a demotion.

He's got dynamic speed.  That big first quarter run last night was electrifying.  But you have to manage his touches.  He isn't the type of rhythm/attrition runner who gets better as his workload increases in a game.  He's a small usage home run hitter.  He needs to be part of a strong timeshare.  And I also think he needs to be lining up in the slot way more but we are scared to use him that way because we don't have any faith in our run game without either him or McKissic in the backfield.  And we really didn't have much faith in McKissic to handle conventional runs before this season either.

We need a strong, conventional lead back.  Not another converted wide receiver.  Then I guarantee you will see the efficiency of Gibson and the run game as a whole improve.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Gibson is not a true RB. I don’t understand why we are trying to make a WR into a lead runner.

Hundreds of RB in college football and fringe NFL players would be better than this experiment.

Its something I've noticed from the beginning sadly. Gibsons a good athlete but not a great RB. Put him next to J. Taylor and he'll look like a high school player. He gets tackled waaay to easily on most plays and runs into bodies instead of allowing blocks to develop. And his quick cut ability is below average. I  still see him as a decent "piece" but we need a true RB. This teams glory years were all carried by a dominant RB.