Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running on the Rollercoaster: Antonio Gibson and the Rushers

Burgold

The depth needs to better than Patterson, who is practice squad material. Rather than using a Day 2 pick on a back, I hope they scoop up a veteran like a Marlon Mack for a cheap contract. Plenty of other guys who will be out there like Ronald Jones and Rashaad Penny. 

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Monkman56 said:

Its something I've noticed from the beginning sadly. Gibsons a good athlete but not a great RB. Put him next to J. Taylor and he'll look like a high school player. He gets tackled waaay to easily on most plays and runs into bodies instead of allowing blocks to develop. And his quick cut ability is below average. I  still see him as a decent "piece" but we need a true RB. This teams glory years were all carried by a dominant RB.

So true. By the time he figures out how to be a decent RB , his contract will be ending.

Next year we need to find a REAL lead runner and Patterson isn’t it either.

9 hours ago, method man said:

The depth needs to better than Patterson, who is practice squad material. Rather than using a Day 2 pick on a back, I hope they scoop up a veteran like a Marlon Mack for a cheap contract. Plenty of other guys who will be out there like Ronald Jones and Rashaad Penny. 

We should've traded for Marlon Mack if the price wasn't too high. I was calling for it too at the trade deadline. Patterson isn't the answer even if he is a nice story. I'm also on board with the Gibson bell cow RB experiment to be over. Let's seriously address RB in the offseason and get some help for him....preferably a bruiser who does short yardage well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, method man said:

You know who would have worked yesterday? Peyton Barber.

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You know who would have worked yesterday? Peyton Barber.

The failure was not in losing Barber. It was not, and continuing not to, bring in someone to fulfill his short yardage role and instead make Gibson shoulder the near entirety of the RB load.

There was next to no justification to go this route week 1. There is even less now. This is a problem that could have been addressed at any point during the season, yet we continue to let it linger.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The failure was not in losing Barber. It was not, and continuing not to, bring in someone to fulfill his short yardage role and instead make Gibson shoulder the near entirety of the RB load.

There was next to no justification to go this route week 1. There is even less now. This is a problem that could have been addressed at any point during the season, yet we continue to let it linger.

The problem was they got rid of the hard running, no frills power back that can push a pile even if it doesn't mean big chunks of yardage, replacing him with an undrafted rookie, and then not using the undrafted rookie in that role. I understand not wanting to keep 4 RB but if your expectation was to be a solid defense/power running team, and then got rid of your most powerful runner in the hopes your second year inexperienced gadget back could fill that role, then it's not all surprising we are where we are. 

On 12/1/2021 at 6:55 AM, KDawg said:

People want him to bulk up but that's the entirely wrong approach. You want to maximize him, not lower his effectiveness just for the sake of increased usage %. I'm 100% with you on this. A power/bellcow type to go along with Gibson will make Gibson at his current size more efficient and a bigger home run hitter. Period.

The dude can ball.

Stop slamming him into the wall and let him make plays. It's what he does.

So Najee Harris would have been a better pick than Davis right?

And most ppl called me crazy. We would have been better served as a franchise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

You could be right....without a legit starting QB, or at least with an unproven one, doesn't it make sense to try and build as strong a running game as possible? That would mean adding a legit RB. Gibson has had a terrible season with fumbles and now injuries but maybe this is what we needed to find out? Antonio Gibson really needs to figure out some things as a RB this offseason because he has talent but he's not living up to his potential for a variety of reasons. I think we need to get him help, other than McKissic, who's a perfect 3rd down back. 

On another note, anyone see where Craig Reynolds is making a name for himself in Detroit? We had him last year as a UDFA out of Kutztown University. Samaje Perine is also doing a nice job in Cincy as a backup. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Naj hasn't really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh either. I think his YPC is around the same as Giibson's.

RBs aren't worth 1st round picks generally.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Naj hasn't really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh either. I think his YPC is around the same as Giibson's.

RBs aren't worth 1st round picks generally.

Context. Harris behind this line would be special.

Harris is carrying a huge load… 7 games with 20+ carries and has 6 TDs and 62 receptions.

It’s not a complete breakout season… but Harris and Gibson would be special.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Die Hard said:

You know I was one of the biggest Najee backers on the board.

Actually, I probably would have traded up for Fields or Jones. But I wanted Harris at our pick.

So 100%.

His body is built for the beating and that would keep Gibson fresh and he’d be more of a weapon.

• Like 1

Gibson is an alternate to the pro bowl.  He gets plenty of respect around the league.  Whenever I listen to a national show, if I had to pick one player I hear on offense the most being talked about its about Gibson.   When I was listening to some local radio when I was in Vegas before that game, it was about the Raiders reporters talking about the goal is to stop Gibson.

Look at how Dallas crowded the line of scrimmage.  And those weren't even obvious run plays aside from Taylor being under center with one having a tight formation.  It wasn't 3rd and 1.  It was first and 10, 2nd and 5 if I recall. 

Gibson needs to solve his odd fumbling issues.  He might be more of a Robin than Batman as a RB.  But he was a key part to the 4 game winning streak.  Having said that EVERY team IMO needs two featured backs, not just one.  What RB makes it through the season every year?  Heck McCaffrey always misses games, Barkley, etc.  Some said Derrick Henry is the exception but even he is now missing games. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.08.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.10.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.13.57 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He’s under-utilized as a receiver. And they’re smashing him into the line consistently.

Relying on Gibson is foolish. 

RR has changed the culture, and guys play for him. But he’s definitely lacking in some areas as a coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

You know I was one of the biggest Najee backers on the board.

Actually, I probably would have traded up for Fields or Jones. But I wanted Harris at our pick.

So 100%.

His body is built for the beating and that would keep Gibson fresh and he’d be more of a weapon.

I remember. 🙂

I was definitely the loudest Harris fan… and there were a dozen willing to ride that train. But there were still plenty detractors.

The only guy I wanted to trade up for was Parsons…. Especially when he started dropping. I’m wasn’t all-in on it…. but I would have been on board.

Edited by Die Hard

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

He’s under-utilized as a receiver. And they’re smashing him into the line consistently.

Relying on Gibson is foolish. 

RR has changed the culture, and guys play for him. But he’s definitely lacking in some areas as a coach.

I think Rivera has done a good job, you can't build Rome in a day.    You can't have your RBs just run outside zone all the time without the defense clamping down on it.  but I do agree that Gibson is better on the edges than inside.  If we had a better inside runner and he's sitting on the bench, I'd give Rivera a hard time.  If he doesn't add a RB in the off season, I'll give him a hard time but I'll give him a chance to do it.    Also having a QB that doesn't scare defenses can make it more difficult to run.  The run game and pass game work hand in hand.   It's not easy to run against a loaded box. Your Qb has to take advantage of it

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Rivera has done a good job, you can't build Rome in a day. 

I don’t believe I ever said it was. But using that metaphor…. it doesn’t diminish the thought that it should be further ahead of Rivera was a better football coach. 

Personnel decisions, his neglect of the LB position, utilization, play calling, lack of accountability (ie. loyalty), etc.

Rivera’s a good coach and even better man. But he has his warts. And considering what this franchise has endured…. he’s a breath of fresh air and exactly what this franchise needed.

But he’s better suited upstairs…. not the sidelines.

Edited by Die Hard

18 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I don’t believe I ever said it was. But using that metaphor…. it doesn’t diminish the thought that it should be further ahead of Rivera was a better football coach. 

Personnel decisions, his neglect of the LB position, utilization, play calling, lack of accountability (ie. loyalty), etc.

Rivera’s a good coach and even better man. But he has his warts. And considering what this franchise has endured…. he’s a breath of fresh air and exactly what this franchise needed.

He’s a better coach than a guy upstairs. Wish he had a legit front office boss vs figureheads in the Martys

12 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The problem was they got rid of the hard running, no frills power back that can push a pile even if it doesn't mean big chunks of yardage, replacing him with an undrafted rookie, and then not using the undrafted rookie in that role. I understand not wanting to keep 4 RB but if your expectation was to be a solid defense/power running team, and then got rid of your most powerful runner in the hopes your second year inexperienced gadget back could fill that role, then it's not all surprising we are where we are. 

Barber wasn’t the right guy either. He proved last year he can’t lead a rushing attack if the starter goes down, something a similar player in Rhamondre Stevenson has proven in NE. They could’ve gotten someone like a Mark Ingram on the cheap this offseason

47 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Agree he's a good coach and even better man.  I feel the opposite though as for his skills.  For me he's better on the sidelines versus upstairs.   

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree he's a good coach and even better man.  I feel the opposite though as for his skills.  For me he's better on the sidelines versus upstairs.   

I like RR on the sidelines and in the locker room. I almost get the feeling that he is still seeing what he has on this roster and hasn't really pushed the envelope yet. The organization has improved and RR has kept us competitive with a revolving door at QB, that cant be easy to do. But the talent has been lacking in some key areas and it's holding us back. The injuries have also been devastating.

My guess is they didn’t plan to be a power run football team and the RB depth would seem to support that. I imagine the plan was to have Samuel and Mckissic handle 8-12 carries and Gibson 10-15 carries a game. They stumbled on a power run formula that helped get some wins. Keeping Patterson (a tweener type RB who is average at everything) makes more sense. 

Can’t think of another reason why you wouldn’t have a back up power back on the roster. It seems to be one of the easier positions to find pros (competent play). 

• Like 1