Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running on the Rollercoaster: Antonio Gibson and the Rushers

Burgold

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He runs with great violence and authority. We just gotta get him into space more where he can just plant his foot cut and run. He struggles when he's in traffic, his vision goes to poop there and he often just runs into the backs of guys.

With that said, it’s be a cool fan experience to see a guy trying to develop RB instincts. Even from my fan view, you can see clear improvement from game 1 to now. Wonder when or if the growth stops.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I wonder what would happen if Gibson put some weight on like Gibbs asked Portis to do...

He has a Zion Williamson look to me. I think it will be a struggle for him to keep off weight versus the other way around. 230 pounds is big enough. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I would hate that so much.

Why?  Maybe as not as much weight that he loses that top flight speed Portis had in Denver, but he's a former WR, he's an oddball compared to other current running backs at 6'2.  Samw time, I think his frame could add a few pounds without really noticing, he doesn't look super thick, but he's 220.

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He has a Zion Williamson look to me. I think it will be a struggle for him to keep off weight versus the other way around. 230 pounds is big enough. 

Zion is kinda harsh, that dude is a walking powdered doughnut and is unsalvagable. 

As I mentioned before, Gibson is starting to see things develop before they materialize.  On the play where he split his linemen for a nice gain in the past he would've tried to get to the edge.  He's developing a nasty streak to him; which I love!  Wagner will be sore today!  He wasn't wolfing at Gibson in that 4th quarter.  Pity that big run got taken away.  If Scherff just keeps his hands inside he'd have been okay.  Or at least thrown his hands up.  

Does anyone have the clip where Gibson trucked the DB and then the DB - who was obviously concussed - celebrated like he was the hitter instead of the hittee?  That was awesome!  

I hope he has some mojo vs the cowpies.  Those were two of his better games last season if I remember correctly.  Especially the bye bye run.

Zeke the king of NFC east RBs is dead and Barkley just isn't the same player any more.  Gibson is king now.  Hail to the King baby!

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I wonder what would happen if Gibson put some weight on like Gibbs asked Portis to do...

Last I heard, going into the offseason, Gibson was talking about slimming down.  I can’t discern a difference in his build, but he doesn’t seem quite as smooth, and I can’t tell if that’s more a matter of trying to do a better job setting up his blocks/playing patiently and the talk of running with more power.  

I’m sort of neutral in terms of his usage (I can see it both ways), but 2 things need to happen IMO - he needs to work on how he runs with/protects the ball, and we need a(nother) power back, both to keep him fresh and to further make teams submit.  I like Patterson, but he doesn’t really fit with the team’s MO at the moment.

Gibby had 29 carries and 7 Recs

Even when he was absolutely gashing Sea late, you could tell how tired he was.

Another big body to share the load, especially on those short yardage plays vs loaded fronts, would be so beneficial.

I'd hope he is excused from some practices this week to recover rafter a career high in attempts, especially on a short week.

It also wasn't fair to put Patterson in that situation  w/ his only rush attempt. Dude is tiny and that is not his bag. Never stood a chance. Didn't get the thought process behind that playcall.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't like asking guys to drastically change their bodies and the way they play. Take what he does best and utilize that and stop trying to turn square pegs into round holes. I don't think there is a franchise in the league more than us that has ruined so many talented players by either having them play out of position, outside their strengths, or change their bodies. The list is long and miserable.

We need to find a Mark Ingram for Gibson's Alvin Kamara.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes 230lbs and runs a 4.3. He's big and fast.

Hes calming down and waiting for his blocks to develop. That's great. He also doesn't go down in the backfield. When the play looks busted, he turns north and drops his pads. 

People want him to bulk up but that's the entirely wrong approach. You want to maximize him, not lower his effectiveness just for the sake of increased usage %. I'm 100% with you on this. A power/bellcow type to go along with Gibson will make Gibson at his current size more efficient and a bigger home run hitter. Period.

The dude can ball.

Stop slamming him into the wall and let him make plays. It's what he does.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like Gibson but I’d like to see him used a bit more creativity. Line that dude up all over the field. Put him on the field with McKissic and make defenses have to account for two guys that can catch passes out of the backfield. Do they not have a two back package for these guys? How can you not?

I agree. What's our best asset on offense? Speed and a bunch of guys that excel in the short passing game. Get these guys in space with some blockers: Gibson, McKissic, Carter and now Samuel we should have defense's left feeling gassed and reeling and then pour it on with Thomas and Terry. 

Love to see his vision/patience improving. It’s like he’s been watching LevBell tape. Instead of running directly into a wall he’s letting lanes develop.

we have to remember that he was not a RB in college, so it makes sense that these type of skills have taken time to develop. 

I also really like seeing him used in the pass game more. He was a wr, we need to utilize this mismatch. There’s no LB corp in the game who could cover both mckissic and Gibson.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't like asking guys to drastically change their bodies and the way they play. Take what he does best and utilize that and stop trying to turn square pegs into round holes. I don't think there is a franchise in the league more than us that has ruined so many talented players by either having them play out of position, outside their strengths, or change their bodies. The list is long and miserable.

We need to find a Mark Ingram for Gibson's Alvin Kamara.

I’m in agreement another talented back is needed, but that has less to do with Gibson and more to do with all RBs get injured and it’s position that requires depth. Not a fan of Patterson taking up a roster spot and opportunity to develop a more talented guy. 

Have you reached a conclusion on the Gibson should be used like Kamara or open to continued information as we move along? As it stands now, Gibson is a central figure in the team developing a power run identity while securing a wild card playoff spot.  

It appears he’s trending towards more touches in the pass game via screen and angle routes. Side note his big body and WR background has seemed to generate some trust in Heineke to give him chances at contested angle routes (boxes out guys). 

Both can be true: he’s developing into a good to great power RB and could potentially be used in space more often with less touches. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

People want him to bulk up but that's the entirely wrong approach. You want to maximize him, not lower his effectiveness just for the sake of increased usage %. I'm 100% with you on this. A power/bellcow type to go along with Gibson will make Gibson at his current size more efficient and a bigger home run hitter. Period.

The dude can ball.

Stop slamming him into the wall and let him make plays. It's what he does.

But for this current team, this appears to be the best way to maximize the dude while on his rookie deal. Sure, adding another talented back will help lighten his load (this is true for any RB in a today’s NFL outside of the freak that is Henry) and potentially provide opportunities for explosive plays, but can’t deny the success he’s currently having with his role. 

No reason for Patterson to be on the roster, should be another 220 pound great to elite physical talent on the roster.

The offense cannot function as is without Gibson. There’s no one else on the roster that provides a power run element and this for a team building it’s offensive identity around power running. The lack of depth there is scary for the rest of this season. They would immediately go back to being a finesse offense with an identity to lean without Gibson. 

Lastly, the role you speak of for Gibson seems to be what Samuels is supposed to provide. Thoughts?

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Lastly, the role you speak of for Gibson seems to be what Samuels is supposed to provide. Thoughts?

Samuel, McKissick and Gibson are all similar in their skillset (while also being different). The more options you have that can run and catch the better you'll be. Imagine a set with Gibson/McKissick/Samuel/McLaurin/Power back on the field at the same time.

13 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I’m so happy AG didn’t fumble on Monday.

I think that’s terrific 

He came close a couple times though the way he was holding that ball. You could see several Seahawks constantly trying to punch the ball out. The word is out on AG, he's gotta start carrying the ball with more security. I'll gladly sacrifice a yard or two of YAC if it means we ensure holding on to the ball.

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He came close a couple times though the way he was holding that ball. You could see several Seahawks constantly trying to punch the ball out. The word is out on AG, he's gotta start carrying the ball with more security. I'll gladly sacrifice a yard or two of YAC if it means we ensure holding on to the ball.

Somebody must have mentioned the "no air" technique of keeping the ball tight to his body.  I saw him after one run clutching the ball tight to his ribs as a reminder.  Good coaching!

I usually call him The Gibson among my family.  But the Oline and TE's that are willing and able blockers deserve credit too.  How about Gibson and the Destroyers?  Maybe one of you millennials could come up with a highlight video of GIbson, Oline, and TEs dominating defenses and set it to George Thorogood and the Destroyers' Bad to the bone?  

Thorogood's signature guitar was a Gibson ES-125TDC.  

I just think that what the Oline, TEs, and Gibson are doing really deserves some publicity.  They're special.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 2

The #WashingtonFootball Team is signing FB Alex Armah to the practice squad, source says. Reunites with Ron Rivera, who drafted him with the #Panthers in 2017. Interesting add for a team that’s been leaning on the running game of late,” Garafolo said.

The #WashingtonFootball Team is signing FB Alex Armah to the practice squad, source says. Reunites with Ron Rivera, who drafted him with the #Panthers in 2017. Interesting add for a team that’s been leaning on the running game of late.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) December 2, 2021

Washington Football Team Signs Notable Fullback (msn.com)

Listed as 6'2" 255 lbs.  He's definitely a banger.  May be what the team needs to compliment Gibson for power runs.  Mostly used as a blocker.  

Alex Armah Stats, News and Video - RB | NFL.com

• Like 1