Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running on the Rollercoaster: Antonio Gibson and the Rushers

Burgold

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Personnel decisions, his neglect of the LB position, utilization, play calling, lack of accountability (ie. loyalty), etc.

I sometimes wonder if neglect of certain positions is actually just overconfidence in their ability to teach and coach up a player. I mean they couldn't have missed the problem at linebacker. Rivera noted it in almost every 2020 press conference. They just chose to minimally address it. What that suggests to me is that they thought they were so good and knowledgeable in the area that they could turn straw to gold.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I sometimes wonder if neglect of certain positions is actually just overconfidence in their ability to teach and coach up a player. I mean they couldn't have missed the problem at linebacker. Rivera noted it in almost every 2020 press conference. They just chose to minimally address it. What that suggests to me is that they thought they were so good and knowledgeable in the area that they could turn straw to gold.

81DB82D1-3C2B-4751-8684-1E6685778AA3.gif

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I like RR on the sidelines and in the locker room. I almost get the feeling that he is still seeing what he has on this roster and hasn't really pushed the envelope yet. The organization has improved and RR has kept us competitive with a revolving door at QB, that cant be easy to do. But the talent has been lacking in some key areas and it's holding us back. The injuries have also been devastating.

I agree. I was not big on Ron and openly questioned his treatment of Dewayne. But in hindsight I was wrong. I really like the locker room and his quotes and just the never give up and no mistakes mentality. That goes a long way. Him finding guys off the street to come and play legit minutes and play well has been great.

And I feel like that's what we need under Dan. Let's assume that Dan makes the first pick and it's somebody Ron doesn't want. But I have confidence that Ron would be able to pick up a Cousins in the 4th who is the complete opposite player and doesn't make us a horrible team. Maybe that's at QB, maybe RB or WR. But I feel like he'll get some guys with heart who play hard every snap. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There just weren't any good LBs available in FA. The really good ones like Lavonte David and Matt Milano almost immediately resigned with their clubs.

Any in the upcoming crop of free agents? We could really use an upgrade at Mike LB

Our backers still need to be upgraded but I’ve given up on our ability to do so adequately. Now I’m shifting my focus to building a juggernaut of an offense so the defense can play with a lead with what we got.

id be pleasantly surprised if we got a good one though.

Edited by KDawg

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Our backers still need to be upgraded but I’ve given up on our ability to do so adequately. Now I’m shifting my focus to building a juggernaut of an offense so the defense can play with a lead with what we got.

id be pleasantly surprised if we got a good one though.

The Davis pick has completely taken away any confidence I have in Rivera or Mayhew to make sound defensive picks.  The jury is still out on St.Juste but so far eh. My guess is that even though Kyle Smith was here, Rivera pushed for Young, who I’m “eh” on as well. Curl was blind luck in the 7th.

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

My guess is they didn’t plan to be a power run football team and the RB depth would seem to support that. I imagine the plan was to have Samuel and Mckissic handle 8-12 carries and Gibson 10-15 carries a game. They stumbled on a power run formula that helped get some wins. Keeping Patterson (a tweener type RB who is average at everything) makes more sense. 

Can’t think of another reason why you wouldn’t have a back up power back on the roster. It seems to be one of the easier positions to find pros (competent play). 

I'm sure that the initial plan was to rely heavily on the passing game. We had Fitzpatrick the gunslinger at QB, Dyami Brown was drafted for his speed to go deep, Terry and Curtis would have handled the intermediate routes with Hump in the slot. Gibson would have been used a lot more sparingly (is that a word?) and JD would have been the 3rd down back.

That plan lasted about one quarter until Fitz went down and we found out that Brown couldn't catch. Since then we've kind of morphed into this power running, ball control offense that hardly ever throws the ball deep and is over-reliant on a WR turned RB.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There just weren't any good LBs available in FA. The really good ones like Lavonte David and Matt Milano almost immediately resigned with their clubs.

Denzel Perryman was available during FA and for trade during training camp. He just made a Pro Bowl. DeVondre Campbell was available too and he should’ve made the Pro Bowl. 

Both guys came out of the blue but the point is that the coaching staff should have taken shots with a couple guys vs bringing in retreads they were familiar with from Carolina like Mayo and Norris

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, Thinking Skins said:

I agree. I was not big on Ron and openly questioned his treatment of Dewayne. But in hindsight I was wrong. I really like the locker room and his quotes and just the never give up and no mistakes mentality. That goes a long way. Him finding guys off the street to come and play legit minutes and play well has been great.

And I feel like that's what we need under Dan. Let's assume that Dan makes the first pick and it's somebody Ron doesn't want. But I have confidence that Ron would be able to pick up a Cousins in the 4th who is the complete opposite player and doesn't make us a horrible team. Maybe that's at QB, maybe RB or WR. But I feel like he'll get some guys with heart who play hard every snap. 

Next season I wouldn't mind going to a Two TE offense with Thomas and Bates and adding a big time RB that is a true RB. Use Gibson and Samuel more in the passing game but develop a pound the ball mentality while building up the defense even more. We just don't have enough talent across the board to develop a high flying passing attack and Gibson can't stay healthy as a full-time bellcow RB. We have a lot of areas to address this offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson is too good of a weapon to be discarded I just wonder if by dumb luck he was drafted onto a team looking for something in that isn't meant to be (RB1).  I could easily see him as a flashy weapon in the right offense under the direction of a Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay....even LaFleur in GB......geez do those names all sound familiar?   

The way we were using JDM is also the way I think Gibson could become a beast and household name in the NFL.   

• Thumb up 2