Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Carolina: You Cam Go Home Again

TK

25 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It was. You just can't star Superman in a Cinderella story. You can cast an undrafted, unwanted guy like Heinike as Cinderella though. 

Here's the big question. 

Heinike had a few good games. Then, the league sort of figured him out and he struggled. After the bye, Heinike figured out how the league was playing him and came up with a counter?

I don't know if that's true, but I do know that a player's need to adapt and grow because defenses study film. If the offense did learn to counterpunch and we see much more of good Heinike through the rest of the season that'll tell us a lot.

I dont think the league figured him out at all. Sure, some teams forced him to stay in the pocket, but I think his physical ability, conditioning both physical and mental, all caught up to him. You could see in the GB game that his head was clearly not in it. We drove up and down the field, but couldn't finish the drives and left about 24 points on the board that we needed. His arm got gassed, his focus faltered and we averaged 11 ppg over 3 weeks. These last two wins post bye we have finally started relying on the ground and pound and took the game off his shoulders. 

• Like 1

I have been asking why TH does not make more plays with his legs, it's one of his biggest weapons. I was glad to see him finally do it late in the game but am left to wonder what took so long. I get they want to protect him but he has had the chance to make so many more plays, instead he stays in the pocket like he's Peyton Manning.  

• Like 1

I saw Cam having a good game, and he did have a good game.  Just like in NE he will play well, for a time By the end of December it will be clear why he was home eating cereal until a few weeks ago.  I fully expected him to lead Carolina down the field for the winning TD, just so thankful that didn't happen. I hate that guy and always did.  

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

It was. You just can't star Superman in a Cinderella story. You can cast an undrafted, unwanted guy like Heinike as Cinderella though. 

Here's the big question. 

Heinike had a few good games. Then, the league sort of figured him out and he struggled. After the bye, Heinike figured out how the league was playing him and came up with a counter?

I don't know if that's true, but I do know that a player's need to adapt and grow because defenses study film. If the offense did learn to counterpunch and we see much more of good Heinike through the rest of the season that'll tell us a lot.

Not so sure about that.  I think TH is simply throwing the ball with more zip and also better anticipation, and in the past 2 games has been more accurate with his ball placement

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Wow, the story this morning isn't even about us, its about "what happened to Cam?". We whupped his ass, thats what happened.

I always the same story line when we win.  What happened to Brady? What happened to Cam? The opponent always had a let down game, we never had a good game and won with merit.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I saw Cam having a good game, and he did have a good game.  Just like in NE he will play well, for a time By the end of December it will be clear why he was home eating cereal until a few weeks ago.  I fully expected him to lead Carolina down the field for the winning TD, just so thankful that didn't happen. I hate that guy and always did.  

Meh, he had one good throw(the TD to CMC). Other then that it was mostly him running but he's not as explosive as he used to be(the TD run was a product of good scheme/blocking and our D screwing up). He isn't beating anyone with his arm as evidenced by those last two drives. There is a reason we were playing a lot more tight press man because we weren't afraid of anything deep over the top.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ananoman said:

Not so sure about that.  I think TH is simply throwing the ball with more zip and also better anticipation, and in the past 2 games has been more accurate with his ball placement

You and Kool may be right. On the other hand, Taylor indicated he needed to figure out the balance between aggression and playing smart which could be code for figuring out how the defenses are playing him. My guess is it's somewhere in the middle. He and the coaches studied tape and found where he was weaker and shored it up (learning to counter the defenses) and by studying his own tape saw what he was missing.

In any case, I'm enjoying the win and superior play.

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

May be a bit off topic, but this is why I’m still not sure I like the Cosmi draft pick.  He’s a monster so far but I thought there were other areas on the football team to be addressed like another linebacker or safety (can’t remember if Moehrig was still available but i wanted him) 

just felt like we were solid on Oline and we could’ve stayed put and strengthened other areas. But I digress.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont think the league figured him out at all. Sure, some teams forced him to stay in the pocket, but I think his physical ability, conditioning both physical and mental, all caught up to him. You could see in the GB game that his head was clearly not in it. We drove up and down the field, but couldn't finish the drives and left about 24 points on the board that we needed. His arm got gassed, his focus faltered and we averaged 11 ppg over 3 weeks. These last two wins post bye we have finally started relying on the ground and pound and took the game off his shoulders. 

This. But that is also the reason we need to draft a QB this year. The NFL is now a passing league. Running the ball leads to holding calls as much as wins. Passing the ball leads to PI and defensive holding calls. Heinike can play. And he has enough arm to win as well. But he cannot carry the team fully on that arm either. We need a young guy to groom. I am fine with Heinike as the starter until that happens though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This. But that is also the reason we need to draft a QB this year. The NFL is now a passing league. Running the ball leads to holding calls as much as wins. Passing the ball leads to PI and defensive holding calls. Heinike can play. And he has enough arm to win as well. But he cannot carry the team fully on that arm either. We need a young guy to groom. I am fine with Heinike as the starter until that happens though. 

Everything is starting to mesh with the offense and the running game certainly is key. I'm good with Heinicke starting until next year when he slumps again and hopefully whoever we draft in the first is able to take over.

It would be awesome if Heinicke can continue to improve and we don't have that urgency to sell out in the first for a QB this year. There is a glut of defensive starters and OTs in this draft. It wouldn't shock me to see Howell or Ridder slip into the second.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree, I don't think the league figured him out.  I think he was screwing himself up.  Thinking "I ran last week and made some nice plays but we lost and I left some plays on the field.  This week I'm not running except with no choice." and that fails, so he does the opposite and that fails

Edited by MrJL

7 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Wow, the story this morning isn't even about us, its about "what happened to Cam?". We whupped his ass, thats what happened.

That's how they spin it, every time we beat someone, especially a media favorite.

It's never about us playing well. It's always about how the other team supposedly made a wrong choice or 2, or 79.

• Like 1

some good stuff from nfl total access this a.m., i think it was kim jones leading the reporting (i was multi tasking) so am not sure

btu she was outside the locker room and said (or was talking to some team member who said it) that she had never heard such a "rambunctious" and celebratory (can't remember for sure the other adjectives she used but they were products of a fine vocabulary lol) atmosphere outside the locker room, even compared to after the tb game last week

inside the team was celebrating ron in particular and making a very big deal out of this win being for him because of the panthers firing him etc yada yada no ifs, and or buts in the teams mind...she said th had a big smirk on his face while saying just that and he emphasized "despite all the 'official' talk otherwise".....that's where the player's heads were at along with the regular motivations

she also noted this was pretty predictable since--and i didn't realize this--31 of our current personnel (i'm sure this refers to players plus staff) came from the panthers

they were joyous in that locker room....absolutely joyous :) 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1